HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Dvorsky is interesting. Recruits has him as top defensive forward in draft. He has size and shot. Had a good U18. His U20 he went head to head against Cooley and Bedard. In those two games only 2 goals scored against him. Skating I have as average

Dvorsky is fine, but he isn’t a high upside pick IMO.

He’s a low-risk/medium upside guy in my eyes.

I can see him being a 40pt guy ala Dvorak as a worst case, but I have his best case somewhere in the Suzuki tier (60-70pts)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Dvorsky is fine, but he isn’t a high upside pick IMO.

He’s a low-risk/medium upside guy in my eyes.

I can see him being a 40pt guy ala Dvorak as a worst case, but I have his best case somewhere in the Suzuki tier (60-70pts)
Yes Dvorsky reminds me Anton Lundell. Very safe with some potential although not very dynamic.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
I really like Dvorsky the more I watch him but yes I just can't make that pick at 5. 10 easily though. I think he has one of the highest probabilities in the draft of being a valuable top 6 forward but lower chance of being a true star which is what we need to be aiming for. Our prospect pool is the deepest in the league in terms of NHL level talent but we are not in the top tier of high-end talent. We need an impact player.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Elliott Friedman is reporting that the teams drafting above the Washington Capitals ...picks 1--7...are unable to speak to Matvei Michkov. Supposedly, he is deliberately shunning these teams (which includes the Habs) in order to be drafted by the Capitals.
Jarogmir Jaeger did the same thing at the time in order to play with Mario Lemieux and the Penguins.
Where did he say that specifically ?
Can someone tldr the last 5 days for me please
This thread, oe from the other 2 ? Because Jack f***ing shit has happened, but people are still going.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Where did he say that specifically ?

This thread, oe from the other 2 ? Because Jack f***ing shit has happened, but people are still going.

He didn't, it was debunked. Friedman specifically didn't say any of that. Just that teams had a hard time setting up interviews all throughout the year.

Last edited:

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Bensons a better defensive forward than Dvorsky.
Fair to say that Benson might be the best 2-way forward in the draft?

Can someone tldr the last 5 days for me please
- Rumours that if we picked 5th it would be between Benson, Michkov and Smith
- People don't like Benson cause "Vegas won the cup and has size" (but don't tell them that Marchessault won the Conn Smythe)
- Fridman said that some teams haven't scheduled an interview with Michkov yet and people spreading rumours that he's trying to "Jagr" his way to the team he wants (like Washington)
- Think consensus on the habs board is drafting one of Michkov, Smith, Benson or Leonard.

Also to dispel the Michkov rumours, Bob just said he already has interviews scheduled with teams next week in Nashvile. Didn't mention which ones though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fair to say that Benson might be the best 2-way forward in the draft?

- Rumours that if we picked 5th it would be between Benson, Michkov and Smith
- People don't like Benson cause "Vegas won the cup and has size" (but don't tell them that Marchessault won the Conn Smythe)
- Fridman said that some teams haven't scheduled an interview with Michkov yet and people spreading rumours that he's trying to "Jagr" his way to the team he wants (like Washington)
- Think consensus on the habs board is drafting one of Michkov, Smith, Benson or Leonard.
Theres no might to it, hes like the 3rd or 5th best offensive player and the best defensive player.

Danielson will probably morph into a better defensive player just because of size, (and because he may as well he the slam dunk 2nd best) but as of now, hes the guy.

Reactions: AHShadow and rochab

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lets talk about a more interesting subject.

What is the archetype we aim for with FLA? If Cristall, Heidt, Lardis, Perron, Perrault are there, do we go for them? Cristall is a slam dunk for me, but what do you guys think?

Would you rather go for a RD? Brzustewicz? Willander of course if hes there, but he wont. Strbak, Dragicevic?

Do we go for more of a size/grit pick? Nelson? Ziemmer, Wahlberg, Rehkopf?

Its been so lame around here, lets discuss something else.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

What is the archetype we aim for with FLA? If Cristall, Heidt, Lardis, Perron, Perrault are there, do we go for them? Cristall is a slam dunk for me, but what do you guys think?

Would you rather go for a RD? Brzustewicz? Willander of course if hes there, but he wont. Strbak, Dragicevic?

As much as we need RD, I would resist the urge to draft for need. If there's an RD they really like that is BPA but will likely go before 31, then try to trade up for him. But don't pass on a player that is BPA for an RD.

I mean, if Timmins was making the pick, I'd be fine with him restricting himself to RD's. But that's because he didn't know how to draft forwards. so drafting for need at D would actually be increasing his probability of drafting BPA, or at least a good prospect.

Reactions: rochab

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As much as we need RD, I would resist the urge to draft for need. If there's an RD they really like that is BPA but will likely go before 31, then try to trade up for him. But don't pass on a player that is BPA for an RD.

I mean, if Timmins was making the pick, I'd be fine with him restricting himself to RD's. But that's because he didn't know how to draft forwards. so drafting for need at D would actually be increasing his probability of drafting BPA, or at least a good prospect.
Im thinking Willander is the 2nd RD on the board and should go 15-25. Like him very much, but if the cost of moving up is Cristall/Heidt+Brzustewicz/Strbak I really want no part of that.

Even the 69th and FLAs is too rich IMO.

Reactions: 26Mats

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

It's really difficult to wish for a specific player at 31 because:

1) There will be so many good choices left
2) This year is quite unpredictable, you might have a chance to draft a guy you'd never think would be there at that point.

There seems to be a plethora of offensive D available at that rank, so any of Dragicevic, Lindstein, Molendyk, Brzustewicz, Gulyayev...I'd be happy with.

You might have guys like Sale, Willander, Simashev, Musty, Perreault, Stenberg, Heidt and But still on board, you can't pass on those IMO.

Guys I'm Meh about: Gauthier, Bonk, Rehkopf.

Dark Horses : Nadeau, Akey, Sawchynn, Halttunen, Strbak.

DND at that point: Cristall, Perron and Brindley

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Looks pretty good to me

1687186751569.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's really difficult to wish for a specific player at 31 because:

1) There will be so many good choices left
2) This year is quite unpredictable, you might have a chance to draft a guy you'd never think would be there at that point.

There seems to be a plethora of offensive D available at that rank, so any of Dragicevic, Lindstein, Molendyk, Brzustewicz, Gulyayev...I'd be happy with.

You might have guys like Sale, Willander, Simashev, Musty, Perreault, Stenberg, Heidt and But still on board, you can't pass on those IMO.

Guys I'm Meh about: Gauthier, Bonk, Rehkopf.

Dark Horses : Nadeau, Akey, Sawchynn, Halttunen, Strbak.

DND at that point: Cristall, Perron and Brindley
Thats why I mentionned "archetype". Instead of the common BPA, because that doesnt exist past 5-6 ish (except if Benson and Michkov fall).

Why is Heidt a "cant pass" and Cristall a DND? And Perron too, mind you, as ges essentially a very similar player to Heidt.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Thats why I mentionned "archetype". Instead of the common BPA, because that doesnt exist past 5-6 ish (except if Benson and Michkov fall).

Why is Heidt a "cant pass" and Cristall a DND? And Perron too, mind you, as ges essentially a very similar player to Heidt.
Heidt plays like he's 6'3.

Cristall has to figure out about 75 % of the rink, he can take the next 3 years in junior to do so. Perron is another diminutive fwd...I'd pick him in the 4th round if available.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

For me, I guess it would depend on the pick at 5. If for exemple the pick is Benson, i think the pick at 31 should be a forward with size. Don’t feel like end first is a good place for a RD without reaching.

I’m not part of the size at all cost team but it’s something that needs monitoring, can’t have half your forwards under 5’10.

Now, if Cristal or Heidt, or other I have in my top15-20, are available at 31 they should be the pick. But if no one drops, i’m down for a counter balance to Benson.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I would avoid the USNTDP forwards at pick #5. I would like to get one of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov or Benson. If they really believe in Reinbacher I could live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad