2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
I have read reports that Fedotov tried to terminate his contract with CSKA and the government was claiming that was illegal.

:dunno:
He skipped out on conscription. Kaprizov did, too, but at least Kaprizov paid his way out of conscription, creating a layer of protection. Reportedly, the generals that sold the military cards have been punished. It's unclear if Kaprizov is under investigation at this moment, but the last I heard he's left Russia and already returned without a hitch. Skipping out on conscription is a felony in Russia, so Fedotov is lucky that he is being forced to serve rather than receive a prison sentence. At least he's in artic, he should be able to get some practice in.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
East is so competitive

I'm resigned to us picking 11th or 12th this draft
It's really going to come down to several variables.

* Can Tage keep up 2021-2022's success
* Can Dahlin make a jump
* Can Cozens make a jump
* Will Skinner regress
* How quickly will the youngsters adapt

So, I'm not sold on us improving in the standings. When you bring in so many youngsters, like Power, Quinn and Peterka, you gain skill over replacement level players, but you lose the intricacies, like defensive awareness, experience, puck battles in the corners, ability to run the offensive scheme, and other situational awareness issues.

Another issue is chemistry. It might not be there off the rip, it might also be there off the rip. We don't know, but when you have as many changes up front as we have, it'd be wise to factor it in at least at the start.

These are some of the reasons I was shocked that the prevailing opinion this off-season was to Murray this rebuild and go out and get a bunch of guys. This year should definitely be about giving this kids, not only minutes, but important minutes.

I know everyone is desperate for a few more enjoyable nights watching the Sabres, but Murraying this rebuild would potentially hinder future success. I suspect in 2023-2024 we will see a decent leap before we are serious playoff contenders in 2024-2025.

I expect this team to be worse standings-wise, but more exciting.

Another aspect to consider is that we are going with the youngsters while some teams that were below us added some vets. So, I expect a couple of those teams to pass us, putting us in the bottom 6-9 range while we figure things out with our core group.

So, I think anyone expecting to move up several spots from last year is going to be disappointed

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie and Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

* Can Dahlin make a jump
* Can Cozens make a jump
* Will Skinner regress

So, I'm not sold on us improving in the standings. When you bring in so many youngsters, like Power, Quinn and Peterka, you gain skill over replacement level players, but you lose the intricacies, like defensive awareness, experience, puck battles in the corners, ability to run the offensive scheme, and other situational awareness issues.

Another issue is chemistry. It might not be there off the rip, it might also be there off the rip. We don't know, but when you have as many changes up front as we have, it'd be wise to factor it in at least at the start.

These are some of the reasons I was shocked that the prevailing opinion this off-season was to Murray this rebuild and go out and get a bunch of guys. This year should definitely be about giving this kids, not only minutes, but important minutes.

I know everyone is desperate for a few more enjoyable nights watching the Sabres, but Murraying this rebuild would potentially hinder future success. I suspect in 2023-2024 we will see a decent leap before we are serious playoff contenders in 2024-2025.

Another aspect to consider is that we are going with the youngsters while some teams that were below us added some vets. So, I expect a couple of those teams to pass us, putting us in the bottom 6-9 range while we figure things out with our core group.

So, I think anyone expecting to move up several spots from last year is going to be disappointed
This all of this...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
These are some of the reasons I was shocked that the prevailing opinion this off-season was to Murray this rebuild and go out and get a bunch of guys.
not one person called for this.

there is a wide margin between trading everything to rush a rebuild and doing nothing to improve the roster.

This strawman argument is ridiculous.

And if you aren’t going to improve the roster through free agency or trade (god know how those trades really crushed the Avs rebuild huh?) at the very least use your cap space to acquire assets. They do nothing.

no one is saying trade the farm. They’re saying don’t do nothing.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No one has spoken of selling everything to overhaul the way Murray did. Judicious trade acquisitions to fill known areas of need like a goalie? Sure. Can we stop acting like making one trade is the equivalent of what Murray did? FFS.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
So many stud forwards in this draft.

There is some quality RHD talent as well.

Cameron Allen
Hunter Brzustewicz
Lukas Dragicevic
Gavin McCarthy

They all look like possible options in the 9-12 range.

A couple of big wings in Charlie Stramel and Quentin Musty could be options.

Let's see how the Czech kid does in college this year but if Michael Hrabel is the real deal and BPA sign me up.

don22

Jan 29, 2021

there is a wide margin between trading everything to rush a rebuild and doing nothing to improve the roster.

And if you aren’t going to improve the roster through free agency or trade (god know how those trades really crushed the Avs rebuild huh?) at the very least use your cap space to acquire assets. They do nothing.

No one was saying, "hey, let's Murray this rebuild," but the most popular suggestions would be doing that, like trading our first for Weegar, signing or trading for a high end goalie. You can just go to the free agent frenzy thread and look at some of the suggestions with many likes.

So, not a strawman

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No one was saying, "hey, let's Murray this rebuild," but the most popular suggestions would be doing that, like trading our first for Weegar, signing or trading for a high end goalie. You can just go to the free agent frenzy thread and look at some of the suggestions with many likes.

So, not a strawman

Signing free agents =/= trading for guys.

Reactions: Irie

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

No one has spoken of selling everything to overhaul the way Murray did. Judicious trade acquisitions to fill known areas of need like a goalie? Sure. Can we stop acting like making one trade is the equivalent of what Murray did? FFS.

Sorry, but there were people on both sides. Some saying doing absolutely nothing, and some saying trade Quinn and and first and more for tkachuk (a Murray trade).

But I think most people are on the same page and just wanted a few smart moves to improve the team while not trading the farm. We all just disagree on if we did that. I think grabbing Comrie and lyubush (spelling!?) we’re both good moves and hit our two biggest needs. Others may have wanted a little more.

I think people framing what you all wanted as Murray move is disingenuous. But also, most people aren’t doing that.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I see no detriment from icing a different combo of non-NHLers the way injuries forced the issue for five months last season, to playing legit prospects on a regular basis. Assuming relative health, Quinn, Peterka, and Power, along with Samuelsson, Krebs and Tuch for a full season, will provide a huge improvement in skill and stability to the roster. Rookie mistakes will pale in comparison to the massive upgrade in skill and (hopefully) consistency in the line-up. Finishing lower in the standings is only possible in my mind if injuries plague the season and goaltending is a fiasco.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

* Can Dahlin make a jump
* Can Cozens make a jump
* Will Skinner regress

How can you justify this given how they finished this season?

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

So, not a strawman

Trading for one guy is not a Murray in the least.

How can you justify this given how they finished this season?

I agree with him - I see them around 8th in the league right, but they will be better than last season. It's that we can't expect Ottawa and Jersey to have the same sort of critical illness stuff (they were both the test beds for the future COVID protocols for the league but both got screwed early), the Islanders look like they had an off-year due to their scheduled start for the new building. The gap from the bottom of the division to the top will narrow, but it is a risk to assume they will keep pace or surpass what others are doing around them just through internal growth.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is hilarious to type to me....

Watching Connor Bedard tape reminds me of watching Jack Quinn (the latter's obviously 3 years younger and faster)

Playstyles are similar.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Sorry, but there were people on both sides. Some saying doing absolutely nothing, and some saying trade Quinn and and first and more for tkachuk (a Murray trade).

But I think most people are on the same page and just wanted a few smart moves to improve the team while not trading the farm. We all just disagree on if we did that. I think grabbing Comrie and lyubush (spelling!?) we’re both good moves and hit our two biggest needs. Others may have wanted a little more.

I think people framing what you all wanted as Murray move is disingenuous. But also, most people aren’t doing that.
From my conversations and some of the highly liked posts I read, as well as reading our subreddit, that is how I formed the opinion of many desiring a Murray-esque type rebuild without directly advocating for a Murray-esque rebuild.

I stand by that. At the end of the day, I am only going off the information that I've seen, which may be different than you or someone else.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The only downside of this draft…and look…stuff can change and we love us some late developers…is that it isn’t a big time D draft. Of course everything is fixed with a trade from our surplus of young forwards and prospect forwards for a RHD…but this is a forward draft.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The only downside of this draft…and look…stuff can change and we love us some late developers…is that it isn’t a big time D draft. Of course everything is fixed with a trade from our surplus of young forwards and prospect forwards for a RHD…but this is a forward draft.

That's why it was so critical to avoid the 2021 siren call for a forward, and pick Power.

Reactions: EichHart

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'd never advocate picking the "home town guy" just because, but the Sabres 1st will quite possibly be in the range where Quentin Musty goes. That would be very cool.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd never advocate picking the "home town guy" just because, but the Sabres 1st will quite possibly be in the range where Quentin Musty goes. That would be very cool.

Last time the Sabres thought they were getting a hometown kid in the first round... Pat Kane exploded after jumping from being a Michigan St. commit, heading up to London in the OHL.

This might also be the best top 3 for early prognostications in a while. Fantelli is so much of what everyone covets in a center - skill, speed, and power - that if he has the sort of season his talent indicates, he might push Bedard and Michkov off the top of the heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad