2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Last time the Sabres thought they were getting a hometown kid in the first round... Pat Kane exploded after jumping from being a Michigan St. commit, heading up to London in the OHL.

This might also be the best top 3 for early prognostications in a while. Fantelli is so much of what everyone covets in a center - skill, speed, and power - that if he has the sort of season his talent indicates, he might push Bedard and Michkov off the top of the heap.

I think Dvorsky will go higher than Fantelli but still it's a packed top 10 this year with fantastic forwards

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

don22

Jan 29, 2021
I think Dvorsky will go higher than Fantelli but still it's a packed top 10 this year with fantastic forwards
I agree. As of now, I expect the draft to go Bedard, Michkov, Dvorsky, Fantilli while most would swap Fantilli with Dvorsky. I think Dvorsky playing in the D1A hurt his stock a bit despite a stellar performance at U18 given he was playing against the likes of Japan, Norway, and Kazakhstan rather than teams closer to his skill level. I think being able to showcase his talent at the U18 top division would have had him above Fantilli at this point. Obviously, still a lot of hockey to be played and a lot of questions to be answered.

I wonder how much Nemec and Slafkovsky's performance next year will influence the likelihood of teams drafting another top Slovak high. I can see a kid like Leo Carlsson leap frogging both if he improves on his last SHL season since he is also a center with ideal size.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I agree. As of now, I expect the draft to go Bedard, Michkov, Dvorsky, Fantilli while most would swap Fantilli with Dvorsky. I think Dvorsky playing in the D1A hurt his stock a bit despite a stellar performance at U18 given he was playing against the likes of Japan, Norway, and Kazakhstan rather than teams closer to his skill level. I think being able to showcase his talent at the U18 top division would have had him above Fantilli at this point. Obviously, still a lot of hockey to be played and a lot of questions to be answered.

I wonder how much Nemec and Slafkovsky's performance next year will influence the likelihood of teams drafting another top Slovak high. I can see a kid like Leo Carlsson leap frogging both if he improves on his last SHL season since he is also a center with ideal size.
The top of the draft will be interesting. Country of origin won't have as much bearing on Dvorsky due to the league he plays in. I'm intrigued by Ritchie as I ser him making a big jump over his preseason rankings like Gauthier

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He's another one of the amazing talents in this draft. It's funny to think that the Sabres may improve - even a lot - and yet still be in the neighborhood of the 8th OA again. We're going to have plenty of players to sift through to get a feel for who is who and where they might go. :D

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
He's another one of the amazing talents in this draft. It's funny to think that the Sabres may improve - even a lot - and yet still be in the neighborhood of the 8th OA again. We're going to have plenty of players to sift through to get a feel for who is who and where they might go. :D
I can just imagine the consternation and gnashing of teeth if the Sabres pick 7ish and have to chose between Strammel, Fantilli, Yaeger, and Ritchie when they're all centers so that means we need to trade any C prospects between the 21-24yo bracket to make room

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I can just imagine the consternation and gnashing of teeth if the Sabres pick 7ish and have to chose between Strammel, Fantilli, Yaeger, and Ritchie when they're all centers so that means we need to trade any C prospects between the 21-24yo bracket to make room
I realize you're mostly poking fun at our board, but the Sabres should relish that "problem" coming to fruition.

Tage has been a revelation at center, but might yet falter there. None of Cozens, Mitts, or Krebs has convinced me that he'll stick at center long-term. Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich haven't even sniffed the NHL, obviously,

I think centers are like pitchers in baseball - you can never have too many, It's far easier to convert a center to wing than vice-versa.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How are the top RHD in this draft as of now?

Cam Allen from Guelph in the OHL is an early "front runner" as top RHD. Lukas Dragicevic (Tri-City, WHL), Beau Akey (Barrie, OHL) and Jordan Tournigny (Shawinigan - QMJHL) are as well. Maybe someone like Maxim Strbak (Slovak kid playing U20 for Jokerit) was someone I remember seeing/reading about when. Same with Kalem Parker (Victoria - WHL) who had a nice year for a 17-year old in the dub.

Usually at this point, it's less about who is at the top and just trying to start as fans identifying who is there. Players ranking shifts all year, especially those who are late risers.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Cam Allen from Guelph in the OHL is an early "front runner" as top RHD. Lukas Dragicevic (Tri-City, WHL), Beau Akey (Barrie, OHL) and Jordan Tournigny (Shawinigan - QMJHL) are as well. Maybe someone like Maxim Strbak (Slovak kid playing U20 for Jokerit) was someone I remember seeing/reading about when. Same with Kalem Parker (Victoria - WHL) who had a nice year for a 17-year old in the dub.

Usually at this point, it's less about who is at the top and just trying to start as fans identifying who is there. Players ranking shifts all year, especially those who are late risers.
Thanks, I'll take an initial dive into some of these players. With this draft having so many promising forwards that will be selected at the top and us hopefully improving a bit, I could see a situation where maybe a great RD is right where we end up picking.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks, I'll take an initial dive into some of these players. With this draft having so many promising forwards that will be selected at the top and us hopefully improving a bit, I could see a situation where maybe a great RD is right where we end up picking.

At this point, it's a nice to have but they may wind up being further along the line of trading for RHD some time down the line with their penchant for selecting up-tempo puck hawking forwards right now. Generally, nice to know who is out there. Dragicevic was someone on the Canadian U18 team just a few months back. Same with Hunter Brzustewicz (London - OHL) who was on the US team. It's a place to start at least.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
TSN might. There’s also the high chance that it’s only available on TSN Go or on one of their extra sports channels and the main one will broadcast Leafs talk and poker.

They keep posting "Every game can be seen live on TSN, the TSN App and TSN Direct." on every run-up article on their site, so... yeah. Looking stuff up on the interwebz shows that it will be on TSN. The main will have Canada. TSN2 will have the rest.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reactions: Chainshot

Hockey62

Jul 29, 2022
Looking at EP, Michal Vrabal had a strong season this past year playing for both Sparta Praha Under 17 AND Under 20 teams.

Yegor Zavragin put up some nice stats playing for Montry Yugry in the MHL.

Noa Vali had a strong season for TPS Under 18 and had even better stats in his 3 games for their Under 20 team.

And you can’t forget about goalies who are second time eligible (Charlie Schenkel & Samuel Ivanov in the Soo, Gibson Homer [Chicago Steel last year, Arizona State this upcoming year]).
G Adam Dybal is also interesting to watch.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/619025/adam-dybal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad