2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Not sure where to throw this, but I think Jacob Kraft is the first kid I ever coached to play in a USHL game. He missed the start of the season after he came down with mono.

And his number 15 has a special meaning to Jacob and a lot of people in the Rochester hockey community.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Kids been outstanding so far. 8 points in 4 games, had at least a point in each of them. Not bad for an 18 year old rookie in the NCAA.
Fantilli vs Michkov is going to be a fun debate.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Not sure where to throw this, but I think Jacob Kraft is the first kid I ever coached to play in a USHL game. He missed the start of the season after he came down with mono.

And his number 15 has a special meaning to Jacob and a lot of people in the Rochester hockey community.

JJ Weisbuch? We need to draft him on name alone. Then we’ll have JJ, Weissbach, and JJ Weisbuch in the system and make everyone be Rob Ray levels of confused.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
No matter where we finish we're going to get another exciting prospect this year.
While I want to see the Sabres finish outside of the bottom 10, If they do finish that low this is the year to do it. The top 10 players probably all have 1st line/top pairing potential and the top 4 or 5 probably have franchise potential. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli for sure and guys like Carlsson, Yager and Dvorsky could as well.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
While I want to see the Sabres finish outside of the bottom 10, If they do finish that low this is the year to do it. The top 10 players probably all have 1st line/top pairing potential and the top 4 or 5 probably have franchise potential. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli for sure and guys like Carlsson, Yager and Dvorsky could as well.
So far dvorsky is in the 8-12 range for me I have sale and ritchie ahead of him and benson right there with him for now

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My give a f$ck factor (GAFF*) is low right now for the draft.

Part of it is a gut feeling that the Sabres won't be drafting high.

Part of it is knowing that Adams has basically rebuilt the team so everything here on out is icing on the cake.

Part of it is just being tired of following the draft during the season, as if the season is for the draft.

*trademarked

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
My give a f$ck factor (GAFF*) is low right now for the draft.

Part of it is a gut feeling that the Sabres won't be drafting high.

Part of it is knowing that Adams has basically rebuilt the team so everything here on out is icing on the cake.

Part of it is just being tired of following the draft during the season, as if the season is for the draft.

*trademarked
I feel the same on all accounts. I really want to get into it though, because it’s shaping up to be an all timer. But it’s Kind of my Bills draft fatigue spilling over. The draft was our Super Bowl for almost 20 years. I’m tired of the watching 17 year olds thinking about the Sabres future. It’s time to enjoy the team in the jerseys now.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I feel the same on all accounts. I really want to get into it though, because it’s shaping up to be an all timer. But it’s Kind of my Bills draft fatigue spilling over. The draft was our Super Bowl for almost 20 years. I’m tired of the watching 17 year olds thinking about the Sabres future. It’s time to enjoy the team in the jerseys now.
I'm also focusing a lot on my kid's seasons. Between doing stuff for them, and watching to see how Charlie Stramel is developing, it's a no brainer. I may be a late comer to anything concerning this draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm also focusing a lot on my kid's seasons. Between doing stuff for them, and watching to see how Charlie Stramel is developing, it's a no brainer. I may be a late comer to anything concerning this draft.

The lad was watching draft classes for a few years and into it even deeper than I... and he took last year off. Like, off off. It happens.

At this point, I enjoy it the same way I used to enjoy it in the late '80's and '90's - it's about watching the kids doing things and having fun with that.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I wonder if Michkov drops to #3. He'll miss two full NHL seasons after being drafted. Fantilli is having an incredible, perhaps an historic, season, at least thus far, and has a reasonable chance to play in the NHL in 2023/24.

How hard a sell will it be for the GM of a struggling team to tell its fans "This Michkov kid is sensational, and 3 seasons from now you'll see for yourselves."?

Otoh, Pittsburgh was willing to take Malkin at #2, and wait on him playing two more KHL seasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if Michkov drops to #3. He'll miss two full NHL seasons after being drafted. Fantilli is having an incredible, perhaps an historic, season, at least thus far, and has a reasonable chance to play in the NHL in 2023/24.

How hard a sell will it be for the GM of a struggling team to tell its fans "This Michkov kid is sensational, and 3 seasons from now you'll see for yourselves."?

Otoh, Pittsburgh was willing to take Malkin at #2, and wait on him playing two more KHL seasons.

Depends on the team -- if it is an outlier season for someone to be selecting that high, they may look at it as a bankable asset. But if it is a team that has been a regular tire fire or figures to continue to be so, they likely go with someone they have quicker control over.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Couple things:
There are several people who have had Fantilli over Michkov since the end of last season, and it’s not absurd to think people prefer the Canadian on talent alone. Also, Michkov is no Malkin, but more to the point, Fantilli is no Cam Barker. Not sure Penguins would have made the same decision on Malkin if, say, Eric Staal was the alternative.

This draft is so good.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Couple things:
There are several people who have had Fantilli over Michkov since the end of last season, and it’s not absurd to think people prefer the Canadian on talent alone. Also, Michkov is no Malkin, but more to the point, Fantilli is no Cam Barker. Not sure Penguins would have made the same decision on Malkin if, say, Eric Staal was the alternative.

This draft is so good.
Fantilli has been outstanding so far. Stacked Michigan team or not no one on that team last season scored anywhere near the rate he is right now, and he's doing it as a 17 year old. Add in him being 6'2" 190lbs and I think I take him over Michkov all day.

I wouldn't be shocked if a team took Carlsson over Michkov either. The most points by a 17 year old in the SHL is 21 in 41 games, 2nd is Dahlin with 20 in 41. Carlsson has 10 points in 12 games already.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fantilli has been outstanding so far. Stacked Michigan team or not no one on that team last season scored anywhere near the rate he is right now, and he's doing it as a 17 year old. Add in him being 6'2" 190lbs and I think I take him over Michkov all day.

I wouldn't be shocked if a team took Carlsson over Michkov either. The most points by a 17 year old in the SHL is 21 in 41 games, 2nd is Dahlin with 20 in 41. Carlsson has 10 points in 12 games already.
I would put Fantilli ahead of Michkov on a Sabres draft board if they are in the same tier for the scouts because I think Fantilli is unlike the other skilled forwards the Sabres have coming. I think having the skilled forward prospect group becoming a little more diverse would be a good thing.

:dunno:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Despite the team being young, and not very good (been a long time since you could say that), Charlie Schenkel of the Soo Greyhounds is putting together a decent season.

He took the job from last season’s original starter (Samuel Ivanov) and has a 2-3-2 record to go with a 3.04 GAA and .911 SV%. They’re the only wins the Greyhounds have.

And if you recall, I was saying the Sabres should draft him with a later round pick last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad