Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Imagine the guys today travelling by train, very basic equipment, small support staff and the ever-present risk of being sent to the minors. No goalie coach back then as well. Jacques Plante won 5 cups in a row and ended up in the minors for a while the season after. There's little comparison to playing goal then and now.
Getting a shutout should (and was) similar to a no-hitter in baseball. It was a special occasion where the goalie stood on his head and made miraculous saves.. it was fun to witness.
Nowadays, theyre just mechanical.. and it's starting to show... the position is simply an extension of formation; which is why sv% is their goto stat, and less so GAA (which is what it should be).

Reactions: puckeater

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Getting a shutout should (and was) similar to a no-hitter in baseball. It was a special occasion where the goalie stood on his head and made miraculous saves.. it was fun to witness.
Nowadays, theyre just mechanical.. and it's starting to show... the position is simply an extension of formation; which is why sv% is their goto stat, and less so GAA (which is what it should be).
Totally agree, curious tho what you mean by goto stat should be GAA?

Reactions: themilosh

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Other than that, the article says that he takes every advice given by the organization very seriously and that the organization is convinced he will be the one that leads us to the promise land. They see him as the definite no.1 in 3 years.
Does it say the Habs are convinced he will be #1 or is that what Lavoie thinks? Had to translate to English lol but was written like it was Lavoie's opinion

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Totally agree, curious tho what you mean by goto stat should be GAA?
They play the percentages (too much) in that goalies seem to be more concerned with achieving a >0.915sv%.. which is fine ofcourse, but back in the day GAA was the key stat.. goalies knew if they could get their GAA <3.00 they would be in the running for Vezina... sv% was considered secondary (at best).. nothing was routine.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Dryden retired, and our Cup runs were over................just a thought.

Yesterdays goalies, and todays goalies.................night and day. Talent, and equipment now, it's not even close.
Pezzetta would have scored 50 goals back then....

Oh, wow..............amazing.....thanks
These posts are so disrespectful to the players of old. The equipment has been the single greatest change as it has in every sport. You don’t think golfers be driving a ball 340 yards using a wooden driver of the 70’s, do you?

Pezzed would have sucked then as he does now.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
These posts are so disrespectful to the players of old. The equipment has been the single greatest change as it has in every sport. You don’t think golfers be driving a ball 340 yards using a wooden driver of the 70’s, do you?

Pezzed would have sucked then as he does now.
You missed the main point.......nevermind man.
Huge fan of Dryden.....................fave player ever.
Go back, re read and get in the game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dryden retired, and our Cup runs were over................just a thought.

Yesterdays goalies, and todays goalies.................night and day. Talent, and equipment now, it's not even close.
Pezzetta would have scored 50 goals back then....

Oh, wow..............amazing.....thanks

Well, we have a pretty good idea of how players overlap through two players who's career intersected and spanned 5 decades:

A completely washed up Lafleur was scoring around 0.5 ppg his last year as a very dynamic Jagr came in as a rookie scoring 57 in 80 in 90-91. A completely washed up 44 year old Jagr was himself scoring around 0.5ppg in his last full NHL season in 2016-2017.

These are two elite players who's career spanned from the early 70s to the late 2010s. Lafleur managed to play in Jagrs NHL as Jagr managed to play in today's NHL, both as they were a shadow of their former selves.

My guess is Pezzetta would not have done shit.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You missed the main point.......nevermind man.
Huge fan of Dryden.....................fave player ever.
Go back, re read and get in the game.
I read your post. If you didn’t mean it then maybe don’t write it. It’s pretty clear what you said.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well, we have a pretty good idea of how players overlap through two players who's career intersected and spanned 5 decades:

A completely washed up Lafleur was scoring around 0.5 ppg his last year as a very dynamic Jagr came in as a rookie scoring 57 in 80 in 90-91. A completely washed up 44 year old Jagr was himself scoring around 0.5ppg in his last full NHL season in 2016-2017.

These are two elite players who's career spanned from the early 70s to the late 2010s. Lafleur managed to play in Jagrs NHL as Jagr managed to play in today's NHL, both as they were a shadow of their former selves.

My guess is Pezzetta would not have done shit.
Ray Bourque is one of the best examples. 1st team all star in 1979-80. 1st team all star in 2001. Was widely considered a better dman in his 30’s than a 10 year younger Nik Lidstrom. While their careers overlapped an old Ray Bourque was clearly the better player. Lidstrom went on to win 7 Norris trophies, but Ray Bourque, he wasn’t.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ray Bourque is one of the best examples. 1st team all star in 1979-80. 1st team all star in 2001. Was widely considered a better dman in his 30’s than a 10 year younger Nik Lidstrom. While their careers overlapped an old Ray Bourque was clearly the better player. Lidstrom went on to win 7 Norris trophies, but Ray Bourque, he wasn’t.

Yes, this is a fantastic example.

Two of my all time favorite players as well. I play mostly defense myself and these two were brilliant.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Yes, this is a fantastic example.

Two of my all time favorite players as well. I play mostly defense myself and these two were brilliant.
I hated the bruins with a passion, but absolutely admired Ray Bourque. So good that opposing teams defence would be targeting him to shutdown his offense. Was a master at getting pucks through traffic too.

He is my favourite non Habs player of all time. I have an autographed portrait of him, but more importantly I have his rookie card graded a PSA 9. Pretty good for a card that old. Everybody loves Raymond.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I read your post. If you didn’t mean it then maybe don’t write it. It’s pretty clear what you said.
You missed the string of comments...............late to the party is what we will say.
No bad intent at all.
Dryden did not have the equipment of todays athlestes...............also did not eat and train like todays kids either......the lists go on and on........................apples and oranges era to era.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Yup, I had pair in midget or bantam. Got pads for Christmas one year. Thought I had million dollars
I remember a time prior to goalies actually buying their own equipment.. used to be (rep level too) all the uniforms/socks/2 pairs of goalie pads/water bottles (4 per team)/goalie gloves and blocker were kept in a bag and given out once the team was selected after tryouts.. nothing was custom.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I remember a time prior to goalies actually buying their own equipment.. used to be (rep level too) all the uniforms/socks/2 pairs of goalie pads/water bottles (4 per team)/goalie gloves and blocker were kept in a bag and given out once the team was selected after tryouts.. nothing was custom.
Our parents did a lot for us. It must been hard back then to supply hockey equipment. I remember wanting so bad for a pair of super tacks for Christmas circa 1978.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Our parents did a lot for us. It must been hard back then to supply hockey equipment. I remember wanting so bad for a pair of super tacks for Christmas circa 1978.
Yup.. 1 new stick a year (or you buy your own).. make it last!! Wrist shots and snap shots become the saving grace.. no slashing, no cross checking.. too expensive.

I remember being in shock when some kids would break their stick out of frustration.. they must be millionaires.. lol

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Will Smith (San José Sharks) about Jacob Fowler: ''I don’t think people realize how good he is. He’ll be quite a goalie.''

Cutter Gauthier (Anaheim Ducks): ''He's probably one of the best goalies that I played with. He's a unique person, whether it's in the ice or off the ice. He stays dedicated to his art. He's really a good goalie. As a player when you're doing a mistake, you don't panick as you know Jacob is on the net.''

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why would anyone doubt Fowler would sign with the Habs? He has family who live in the province and he's totally hyped to be a Habs.
Exactly….in his draft interview he mentioned that he was always overlooked, never heard his name be called out, said that it sucked and that it pissed him off and now he finally gets drafted by a team he won’t sign with them?

:laugh:

Some posters really have nothing to do or are absolutely putrid at evaluating situations…it’s always react and panic at nothing that is there lol

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Why would anyone doubt Fowler would sign with the Habs? He has family who live in the province and he's totally hyped to be a Habs.
NCAA effect. I don't know if anyone's seriously worried about it but it's always a consideration in these situations.

I agree with you, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad