Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I know it’s sacrilege, but Dryden’s numbers were so great because he was on a crazy good team. He was really good, but if you watch those old games or especially his international games, he really doesn’t look as good as his numbers would indicate. Of course, the same is true for all goalies of his era. I think there really was next to no goalie development back in the day. I mean, scoring from the blue line on the fly with zero screen? Can you imagine that today? At the time I loved the guy, but looking back, he wasn’t as great as I remember
Equipment was much different back then, too. It was tougher to play with those heavy pads.

Reactions: BLONG7

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Equipment was much different back then, too. It was tougher to play with those heavy pads.
For sure. It’s funny because looking back, no one actually looked good and there’s so much mystique about them. With the goals they let in, they’d never make it in today’s game. Dryden had enough trouble with the Soviets and if I recall, they barely got any shots on him. It started improving in the 80’s but there were still some real head scratcher goals going in. Caulfield would’ve scored 60 back in those days.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I know it’s sacrilege, but Dryden’s numbers were so great because he was on a crazy good team. He was really good, but if you watch those old games or especially his international games, he really doesn’t look as good as his numbers would indicate. Of course, the same is true for all goalies of his era. I think there really was next to no goalie development back in the day. I mean, scoring from the blue line on the fly with zero screen? Can you imagine that today? At the time I loved the guy, but looking back, he wasn’t as great as I remember
dear moderators, may i strongly suggest that you give a lifetime ban with no possible redemption, to this traitor, this blasphemer . Show him the door !

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dryden retired, and our Cup runs were over................just a thought.

Yesterdays goalies, and todays goalies.................night and day. Talent, and equipment now, it's not even close.
Pezzetta would have scored 50 goals back then....

He's unrecognizable because he's taken his fitness and training so seriously since being drafted by the Habs and that the organization believes he is the future #1.
Oh, wow..............amazing.....thanks

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
He's unrecognizable because he's taken his fitness and training so seriously since being drafted by the Habs and that the organization believes he is the future #1.
Other than that, the article says that he takes every advice given by the organization very seriously and that the organization is convinced he will be the one that leads us to the promise land. They see him as the definite no.1 in 3 years.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
All the Boston talents belong to us.

Boston loves Montreal. And Montreal loves Boston.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Yesterdays goalies, and todays goalies.................night and day. Talent, and equipment now, it's not even close.

I’m not saying he wasn’t good at all. And look at the lineup when Dryden retired. All of them were declining with age. Not to mention they passed on Denis Savard in 1980. It wasn’t all Dryden.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
For sure. It’s funny because looking back, no one actually looked good and there’s so much mystique about them. With the goals they let in, they’d never make it in today’s game. Dryden had enough trouble with the Soviets and if I recall, they barely got any shots on him. It started improving in the 80’s but there were still some real head scratcher goals going in. Caulfield would’ve scored 60 back in those days.
You put Fowler in old school leather lumps of padding (off balance) with wonky skates, an actual no curve heavy lumber stick. Brutal vision peering through two holes in a mask, actual bruises from being hit by the puck - and youd see the similarities.

The men from the 50s-70s were strong as oxen.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I still think Habs were very lucky to draft Fowler in the 3rd round. FIVE other goalies were drafted ahead of him in the 2nd. How come Fowler stayed under the other clubs’ radars ?
Last Word on Hockey had him ranked fourth for goalies with Carson Bjarnason, Trey Augustine, and Michael Hrabal ahead. Fowler was their 60th prospect. Adam Gajan (ranked 63rd) was the first goalie taken in the draft at 35th overall. Following was Hrabal, Augustine, Bjarnason, and Damian Clara (not even Top 100 ranked by Last Word) before Jacob Fowler was taken.

It's way too early to say on any of these goalies as to who is going to be the stand out. Clara is a huge goalie and has looked better each year. Ducks signed him even though he's probably playing another year in Sweden. Bjarnason is a top rated Canadian junior goalie so he will get a lot of attention. Trey is a Michigan kid so it makes sense Detroit went for him. Hrabal is a huge Czech goalie who I'm sure Utah will give all the time in the world to develop. Adam Gajan is probably the most interesting since he's been very up and down but had a good USHL playoffs. Inconsistent already.

Again it's way too early. All of them could make it. None of them could make it. Quentin Miller could become the goalie saviour. Olof Glifford might end up the best of everyone. You never know this early.

Reactions: themilosh

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You put Fowler in old school leather lumps of padding (off balance) with wonky skates, an actual no curve heavy lumber stick. Brutal vision peering through two holes in a mask, actual bruises from being hit by the puck - and youd see the similarities.

People who didn't grow up with it have no idea how freaking tiny the equipment was even in the late 80s/early 90s. Goalies had to stay upward and basically throw their entire body at the shots in order to have any chance, plus pray the puck would hit one of the better padded areas. You had to be more than a little crazy to become a goalie up until 96-ish.

dea694e7ff479b151a32ccb2094c5fbf.jpg

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
People who didn't grow up with it have no idea how freaking tiny the equipment was even in the late 80s/early 90s. Goalies had to stay upward and basically throw their entire body at the shots in order to have any chance, plus pray the puck would hit one of the better padded areas. You had to be more than a little crazy to become a goalie up until 96-ish.

dea694e7ff479b151a32ccb2094c5fbf.jpg
Exactly this^ look at him.. that 5 hole is like an invite for a free buffet dinner.
The problem most people b. after 1980 dont quite understand, is that the shooters had equally horrific equipment.
Everything is relative. Caufield would not score "60" bc he wouldn't have his "perfect" flex graphite $500 composite stick, he would not have the stability on his skates with broken-in leather ankle breakers.. nope, gotta tape the ankles for more sturdiness. What about shinguards, gotta tape those too, wool socks, one-size-fits-all shoulder cups attached to the pant suspenders..
Different era, but make no mistake -- these guys were the best in the world..
On top of all that (even in the 80s) these guys weren't making early retire-a-millionaire at 30 salaries... they worshiped their fans, because the fans kept them employed..

We used to have street hockey games with all the kids in the neighbourhood - often: Nats Naslund, Rick Green, Mike McPhee and/or Brian Skrudland would join in.. can you imagine today if an NHLer would do something like that?

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Well they went from Dryden to some goalies bad enough that Penney looked awesome by comparison before Roy came in. They had pretty ok numbers but they had a really good team in front of them.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Yup, I had pair in midget or bantam. Got pads for Christmas one year. Thought I had million dollars
Same. Funny thing was I was not a goalie (gift from my godmother) so I used them for street hockey. Did not go well, stuffing was falling out the bottom about halfway through the summer from the friction lol

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Same. Funny thing was I was not a goalie (gift from my godmother) so I used them for street hockey. Did not go well, stuffing was falling out the bottom about halfway through the summer from the friction lol
Lol you're bringing back old memories of the same thing happening to me!

Reactions: windycity

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004

Imagine the guys today travelling by train, very basic equipment, small support staff and the ever-present risk of being sent to the minors. No goalie coach back then as well. Jacques Plante won 5 cups in a row and ended up in the minors for a while the season after. There's little comparison to playing goal then and now.

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad