Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Any Lindholm trade (and extension) will mirror the Horvat trade. So for the trade a 1st + B+/A-prospect + young roster player with a decent cap hit, but not a high end one. So 1st + Ritchie/Goulash + G for Lindholm then extended for 8 years @ 9M is really the realm of what it would look like. You could squabble on AAV a touch and swapping a similar caliber player to G in... but the general area is that.

I'd also say this is well outside the Avs' normal course of business too. Not sure how they'd really afford that cap hit without massive turnover elsewhere. They don't typically get a top guy on the market. They also don't tend to do sign and trades. It just doesn't line up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yea I really don't think the Avs are looking to add a 9M AAV player :laugh:

We're going to lose G++ just to fit Landy next year...and we'll have to find another Drouin/Tatar type of player. These will get harder and harder to find BTW for plenty of reasons (cap going up, team not as competitive as it used to, recent unsuccessful UFA stories, etc)

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
For once Flames fan's expectations of a return is actually less than what other team's fans think. Seems like they'd be happy with a late 1st and a nice prospect.
For a pure rental sure. But if Lindholm is agreeing to something like 7x7 then he should cost more.

I'm a big fan of Cmac cutting bait with Newhook while it was still possible to get good value.

And they should do the same with Byram while he's still got potential upside and lots of team control left.

Maybe Lindholm isn't the guy. But he's an available top 6C.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If the Kraken are out by mid February, which I think is more likely than not
Wennberg is the rental to get and possibly retain

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya JEE would literally be the perfect acquisition. But I think that chance closed a couple years ago.

I remember getting ridiculed for merely suggesting a Byram/JEE swap not too long ago :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If the Kraken are out by mid February, which I think is more likely than not
Wennberg is the rental to get and possibly retain
Wennberg wouldn't be any better than RyJo. Big, lazy SOBs with talent... Wennberg is more allergic to shooting and isn't as good of playmaker either... but better defensively. The guy we want from Seattle is Gourde. Yeah he's older and has the extra year... but he's a more talented Colton. He'd absolutely thrive in Bednar's system and what legs are still there, would have the best usage they've had since pre-Cirelli Tampa.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ya JEE would literally be the perfect acquisition. But I think that chance closed a couple years ago.

I remember getting ridiculed for merely suggesting a Byram/JEE swap not too long ago :laugh:
The idea of Byram around here is worth more than the reality. TBF it is that way around the league too... so many teams would love to grab Byram, but he's going to fall short of the expectations. Not that he's a bad player, he's actually a great player. But people have it in their minds that he's this future 70 point, elite defensively #1D guy... where the reality is he's either a 30-40 point very good, but short of elite 2 way defender, or a very risky but sometimes amazing other times terrible 55 point defensemen who is a liability. He doesn't have the right balance to his game. I think it will come, but it won't be at the offensive ceiling that people think.

Reactions: missionAvs

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

What would pay for JEE?

Eriksson-Ek would be ideal here... big, ideal age, plays good defense, enough skill to score, amazing contract. I'd pay a very hefty price to grab him... too bad is about as untouchable as it gets.
I mean if it got us JEE, Byram+1sts

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The idea of Byram around here is worth more than the reality. TBF it is that way around the league too... so many teams would love to grab Byram, but he's going to fall short of the expectations. Not that he's a bad player, he's actually a great player. But people have it in their minds that he's this future 70 point, elite defensively #1D guy... where the reality is he's either a 30-40 point very good, but short of elite 2 way defender, or a very risky but sometimes amazing other times terrible 55 point defensemen who is a liability. He doesn't have the right balance to his game. I think it will come, but it won't be at the offensive ceiling that people think.

Hopefully he reaches that level. So fsr this years he the worst of both scenarios. A ~30 point guy making poor decisions defensively on far too consistent a basis.

Not that it's surprising but I'd certainly keep G and his contract over Byram moving forward. I'd love to use Bo to get G a proper 2nd pairing RD partner to play with... But then you're likely continuing with half assed attempts at fixing 2C as well.

What would pay for JEE?

I mean if it got us JEE, Byram+1sts

At this point I'd move Bo + our 1st for JEE.

That contract is sensational value for a 25G, 60-70 point Center with elite defense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hopefully he reaches that level. So fsr this years he the worst of both scenarios. A ~30 point guy making poor decisions defensively on far too consistent a basis.

Not that it's surprising but I'd certainly keep G and his contract over Byram moving forward. I'd love to use Bo to get G a proper 2nd pairing RD partner to play with... But then you're likely continuing with half assed attempts at fixing 2C as well.
The coaching staff needs to put the reigns on Byram. I know nobody wants to hear that, but the dude is not as talented as he thinks he is and the staff needs to play to his actual strengths. Rush defense, 1v1 defense, quick puck movement, and skating... not his jetting the zone at the very first chance, taking high risks, defending in space, being the tough guy stuff. If they get him to settle, focus on the defense and being aggressive in that area... the points will follow. It just won't be the flashy goals on a 2v1... they'll be 2nd assists from outlet passes and goals from shots off the cycle or a good read.

Reactions: GeoRox89

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I wish we could get JEE but no way Minny gives up their only good centre unless they opt to trade Kap and go full rebuild. Don’t think Kap would re-sign if they’re rebuilding (especially with Zucc long gone) so it would need to be a full tear down build around Boldy and hope Rossi works out

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I wish we could get JEE but no way Minny gives up their only good centre unless they opt to trade Kap and go full rebuild. Don’t think Kap would re-sign if they’re rebuilding (especially with Zucc long gone) so it would need to be a full tear down build around Boldy and hope Rossi works out
Haha we could add Meyers. I mean they'd also get to build around Byram. That would be a phenomenal contract to have though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There’s a 1000% chance that if the Avs did put together a package for JEE every piece going to Minny would become a franchise cornerstone and JEE would retire immediately to pursue his true love, the eradication of the crown of thorns starfish
While listening to The Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water.

• Love
Reactions: Cousin Eddie

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So Nick Leddy. Great

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So Nick Leddy. Great
Nick Leddy was pretty good in his prime. I just don’t see Byram as much better than #2 in his prime…. Could settle in as a 2/3 though. He’s going to be really good, I just don’t see the extreme upside there. He’s either flawed, but really flashy or calms down and is less impactful (which is good and bad).

Reactions: S E P H

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I try to be patient, however if shot doesn’t get addressed I’m gonna start calling for heads

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Maybe let's wait until another playoff run before painting a picture of what Byram is.

I'm not saying you're wrong, especially with his offensive potential on the Avs. He could also have a lot better offensive numbers if he sacrificed his D game. Personally, I'd rather have a well-rounded defender that can be counted on defensively. I also could care less about what kind of numbers a guy puts up in the regular season if he's able to elevate his game in the playoffs.

Sure, fantasy-wise, and numbers-wise, Byram may be underwhelming. But it doesn't mean he is less valuable to a team or on the trade market. I think Doughty-lite is a fair comparison based on this kind of all-around game and temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad