2023-24 Ted Lindsay Award finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews | Winner: Nathan MacKinnon

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Good for Matthews, he needed this after how his season ended

Think it will be between Mackinnon or Kucherov though. Mack should have it. I think this is the year he gets the Hart and Lindsey. He is deserving of both (and continues to be in the playoffs, even though that is not technically supposed to influence things).

I have a real hard time with the sheer amount of confident ignorance with "fans".

Let me explain this to you in a way that you and everyone else will understand:

These votes are locked in within 24 hours of the end of the season.

That is the day before the playoffs begin.

There is no way that the playoffs can influence these votes.

Unless the voters have access to a time machine.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ok this is also getting absurd in the opposite direction. Mcdavid has 87 pts in the playoffs in 54 games. He has 12 in 5 this year. He is a way, way, way better playoff performer than Matthews and it’s not even remotely close.
Yeah, in the past 3 playoffs, McDavid has 65 points in 33 games. He has been an excellent playoff performer for quite some time now.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The players have spoken, McDavid shouldn't have been a Hart finalist.
Well, he only outscored Matthews by 25 points, despite playing in five fewer games.

The players seem to have higher expectations of McDavid. That's what happens after you hit 150 points.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The players have spoken, McDavid shouldn't have been a Hart finalist.
And 1989 Yzerman > 1989 Mario Lemieux, Orr was the best at hockey a single year, 117 pts second place in the league +83 for a defenceman sound impressive, but the press giving him the Hart was wrong he was no Jean Ratelle.

Beloved good guy is not a factor, rotation of winners, etc...

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Well, he only outscored Matthews by 25 points, despite playing in five fewer games.

The players seem to have higher expectations of McDavid. That's what happens after you hit 150 points.
Or….

A lot of NHL players think scoring 69 goals (107 pts-6th) is bigger than putting up 100 assists (132 pts-3rd)

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Did you stop reading after post #3?
Hahaha I didn’t. I read all of the posts.

If I missed posts where people said Matthews is a better player than McD overall (not that he just had a better season) then I’m wrong.

This thread is about this season. And that NHL players voted that Matthews, Mack and Kuch had the best 23-24 regular season.

Not best ever or overall in their careers. I don’t think its that complicated

Or 70+ Goals and 160+ points next season.
Totally could. Look at his goal scoring season last year. I love that he can turn it on.

But right now I’d like him to focus on bringing the cup to Canada. It’s been too long

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What shallow minds they have.
Meh.

69 goals is impressive no doubt.

Players are also as susceptible to voter fatigue as anyone. McDavid has to compete against past versions of himself in these awards now.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not best ever or overall in their careers. I don’t think its that complicated

IMG_0813.gif

• Love
Reactions: Bone Density

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
McDavid is at a disadvantage due to voter fatigue. McDavid basically competes against himself for MVP awards. If he’s not beating his previous season mark, he automatically won’t win even if his “underperforming” season is better than everyone else’s best season.

Reactions: WalterLundy

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I have a real hard time with the sheer amount of confident ignorance with "fans".

Let me explain this to you in a way that you and everyone else will understand:

These votes are locked in within 24 hours of the end of the season.
That is the day before the playoffs begin.

There is no way that the playoffs can influence these votes.

Unless the voters have access to a time machine.
Well, I'll admit I'm wrong, I have no problem with that. If that is what they say I guess we have to take them at their word;);)

I really appreciate that you weren't condescending about it, too

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Maybe it is the 37 goal difference... not sure.

They are 1 point apart in primary points by the way... maybe the secondary assists don't mean as much to the players.

Or maybe it is the Selke nomination while putting up 69 goals.

This is not even saying McDavid wouldn't deserve it if nominated, but people acting like it should be McDavid have no clue.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
You going to write a strongly worded letter to the NHLPA?
Would love to hear it how it starts;
"Hi, I'm an avid hockey fan and frequent poster on HFBoards, one of the most prestigious hockey fan websites on the entire internet! With thousands of posts on this site alone, you can see that it's quite clear that I'm a distinguished expert when it comes to the sport. My dedication and obsession clearly make my opinions more valid and surpasses those of the so-called armchair experts who actually play the sport..." :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good for Matthews, he needed this after how his season ended

Think it will be between Mackinnon or Kucherov though. Mack should have it. I think this is the year he gets the Hart and Lindsey. He is deserving of both (and continues to be in the playoffs, even though that is not technically supposed to influence things).

See, I think they'll split the awards.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
This might be the first time I've ever heard of players supposedly having voter fatigue. Logically, they would be less prone to it than journalists.

braunm

Oct 1, 2022
Nope. One off. While being a Selke nominee. That plus having the highest goal scoring season in 30 years usually gets you some respect from the players.
Has there ever been a player to score 69 goals while being a Selke nominee? I suspect this could be even more rare than the 100 assist club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad