Greatest dominance within one's own team

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Last edited:

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Season Team Goals, Best Player PTS% (1917-2024)

Career Team Goals, Best Player PTS% (1917-2024)

Season Team Goals*, Best Player PTS% (1917-2024; min. 10 games)

* - only games in which the player participated are taken into account.

Career Team Goals*, Best Player PTS% (1917-2024; min. 25 games)

Career Team Goals*, Best Player PTS% (1917-2024; min. 25 games; Player Age: 20-33)

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
In the Polls subforum, Kariya vs. Bure was the topic and it came up that Bure has a points ratio of 2.49 vs. Kariya's 2.45 over number two on their respective teams. Whether statistical or otherwise, are there better examples of being a lone star on one's own team? I know Ovechkin's 07-08 is a more recent hard cap example (1.62). Pronger in Edmonton, 05-06, maybe?

On a great team, outside of maybe Wayne and Mario, has anyone ever been better than Lafleur’s 1.68 in 1979. He didn’t get any major hardware that season, but imo he was never more valuable to the habs.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
What about Paul Maclean, Thomas Steen, Randy Carlyle, and Laurie Boschman? A bit before my time, but still.

Paul Maclean(who I liked as a kid) was a mediocre garbage man. Tough and battled in front of the net. He belonged in the league but he was a product of Hawerchuk(and Yzerman for a season).

Steen was a good player, who had even worse linemates than Hawerchuk. He had Doug Smail stapled to him for a decade(Smail was an ok player, but probably would have been a 4th liner on most teams). That being said Steen was a center, and only played with Hawerchuk on the PP.

Boschman was a defensive player/pest. Not an offensive guy at all. Any high point seasons from him were purely because the jets didn't have other options. Hawerchuk's other linemates were mostly Brian Mullen, and later McBain and Iain Duncan briefly.

Carlyle was an ok puck mover but he was older by that time. I would say he benefited from Hawerchuk more than the other way around. Dave Ellett and Babych were better puck movers for the jets around that time.

The only comparable production without supporting talent to Hawerchuk, was Yzerman in mid-late 80s. Even then, I would say Yzerman achieved less(except for 1989) with more help. Which isn't me taking a shot at Yzerman, I think Hawerchuk was that underrated.

Reactions: Hippasus

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
On a great team, outside of maybe Wayne and Mario, has anyone ever been better than Lafleur’s 1.68 in 1979. He didn’t get any major hardware that season, but imo he was never more valuable to the habs.

pastrnak did 1.69

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There are several standouts.

One of Gretzky's was his 2nd last season when he led the league in assists (that was more than total points of any fellow Ranger), yet no NYR scored more goals than him! Dang impressive for the old guy with a piano on his back.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
People will disagree, but no one in the history of the NHL accomplished more with less than Dale Hawerchuk on the Jets.
The question being... What did he accomplish?
-- No hardware (except Calder)
-- 3, 4, 7, 9 in scoring
-- No season-end All Star
-- Played past round 1 of playoffs once (all the way to round 2)

I mean, yeah, he was a elite player on a slightly subpar team, but he's hardly alone in doing that.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
The question being... What did he accomplish?
-- No hardware (except Calder)
-- 3, 4, 7, 9 in scoring
-- No season-end All Star
-- Played past round 1 of playoffs once (all the way to round 2)

Just curious but have you ever scored 130, 120 points in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad