2023-24 Senators Prospect Watch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The way you talk about their prospects makes me wonder if Mailloux is passing around a picture of you to his buddies. :DD

Of course this is way too ******** to even give one iota of energy. You make me think of these fruit flies lol. Annoying but too small to even bother

Man you're really giving the Hawk Tuah to the Montreal Canadiens.

Well, that's not much smarter lol but at least I know who you are and we had some interesting exchanges before so I'll reply

So what am I supposed to do? Should I be PRAISING the Sens pool instead?

I did that after the 2020 draft, on the main boards, taking the heat from all kind of fans, especially Red Wings fans. I called the Sens to have the best future in the NHL and that our 2020 draft was one of the best in NHL history

Did you do any of that?

So why would I do that now knowing that the current Sens pool is really far from being among the best ones? The Habs do though, unfortunately. Ducks, Sharks, Hawks also have great pools but good thing they are in the other conference

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Of course this is way too ******** to even give one iota of energy. You make me think of these fruit flies lol. Annoying but too small to even bother

Well, that's not much smarter lol but at least I know who you are and we had some interesting exchanges before so I'll reply

So what am I supposed to do? Should I be PRAISING the Sens pool instead?

I did that after the 2020 draft, on the main boards, taking the heat from all kind of fans, especially Red Wings fans. I called the Sens to have the best future in the NHL and that our 2020 draft was one of the best in NHL history

Did you do any of that?

So why would I do that now knowing that the current Sens pool is really far from being among the best ones? The Habs do though, unfortunately. Ducks, Sharks, Hawks also have great pools but good thing they are in the other conference

Just like you were wrong about the Sens prospects, you're also mistaken about the Habs prospects. You've been raving about them on a Sens board this entire page. If you want to discuss Habs prospects, it might be better to take it to the Habs board.

Yes, they have a good prospect pool, but the hype is way over the top, and you're falling for it, just like you did with the Sens prospects after 2020, making the Habs seem like they are the next 2010s Chicago Blackhawks.

The Sens prospect pool may not be the best, but it's not as bad as you claim. There's a lot of underrated talent that I believe will make it to the league, even if they're not in the top 100 prospect lists. Similar to the 2010s, we had prospects like Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Paul, and Dzingel, who weren't highly ranked in league wide prospect lists, but ended up being legitimate NHL players despite being unknown late-round draft picks.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just like you were wrong about the Sens prospects, you're also mistaken about the Habs prospects.

Which Sens prospects I have been wrong on recently? I used to miss way more often (Cowen, Petersson, Hoffman) but I was high on guys like Stone, Batherson, Pageau, Formenton, and very bullish on a guy like Greig for example. Also defended the Kleven pick quickly when people were trashing it. Opposedly, was down on Boucher pretty much as soon as the pick was made...

I have been promoting Sens prospects on the internet for a long time. Not sure why I am suddenly talked as "the enemy" by some (this must sound so stupid for people who have read me for a long time. I mean, some called me the biggest Sens homer but the opposite is pretty incredible and braindead)

And how am I wrong on Habs prospects? I mean, I'm only relating how the hockey world sees them. Demidov was just ranked the 3rd best prospect in the world by Wheeler.

You've been raving about them on a Sens board this entire page. If you want to discuss Habs prospects, it might be better to take it to the Habs board.

Oh yeah? Another poster mocked my opinion on the last page bringing the Habs prospect pool into the discussion (it wasn't my idea). I then said their pool was much better than ours, do you disagree and why? A future 3rd line checker has been voted our 3rd best prospect... I mean...

Yes, they have a good prospect pool, but the hype is way over the top, and you're falling for it, just like you did with the Sens prospects after 2020, making the Habs seem like they are the next 2010s Chicago Blackhawks.

The Sens prospect pool may not be the best, but it's not as bad as you claim. There's a lot of underrated talent that I believe will make it to the league, even if they're not in the top 100 prospect lists. Similar to the 2010s, we had prospects like Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Paul, and Dzingel, who weren't highly ranked in league wide prospect lists, but ended up being legitimate NHL players despite being unknown late-round draft picks.

I'm not falling for anything, I am perfectly able to call a spade a spade.

Again, how I did with the Sens prospects after 2020? Most of the guys I was high on made it (Sanderson, Pinto, Formenton, Greig, Gustavsson), Brannstrom and JBD not as much as expected (but also was reasonable compared to some as I saw Brannstrom becoming a Enstrom level player, not a Karlsson). Other guys I was on, Sogaard, Jarventie and Kleven it remains to be seen

I agree that our pool will be massivaly underrated now. I think there might be a few gems in it. For example, I think a guy like Javon Moore will emerge as a legit prospect. Or Matthew Andonovski as well who will be seen as a legit defensive D-man prospect. Overall, it's a rough list no matter how you slice it and it's normal, we wasted a 10h OA pick on Boucher and traded away a 7th OA and a 12th OA pick with DeBrincat and Chychrun fiascos

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Locked on Sens Prospect List:

10. Gabriel Eliasson LD
9. Tyler Boucher RW
8. Oskar Petersson RW
7. Levi Merilainen G
6. Jorian Donovan LD

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Locked on Sens Prospect List:

10. Gabriel Eliasson LD
9. Tyler Boucher RW
8. Oskar Petersson RW
7. Levi Merilainen G
6. Jorian Donovan LD

That leaves Kleven, Ostapchuk, Sogaard, Bourgault and Halliday I guess?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If only it was possible to have one of the guys ranked in the top 20 with our pick at 7 this year.

Inb4; Wheeler

Well, Yakemchuk is in the same tier as those guys, at least according to wheeler.
Tier 1 is just Celebrini,
Tier 2 is 2-9
Tier 3 is 10-25.

Not saying everyone in a tier is interchangeable, but I'd be pretty disapointed if we drafted 16th placed Eieserman. Personally, I'd rather Yakemchuk over Perekh, I'm sure many wouldn't agree with that, but Perekh is in tier two on this list, and at worst I think there's a legit debate between the two which suggests that the tiers might be closer than one might assume.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, Yakemchuk is in the same tier as those guys, at least according to wheeler.
Tier 1 is just Celebrini,
Tier 2 is 2-9
Tier 3 is 10-25.

Not saying everyone in a tier is interchangeable, but I'd be pretty disapointed if we drafted 16th placed Eieserman. Personally, I'd rather Yakemchuk over Perekh, I'm sure many wouldn't agree with that, but Perekh is in tier two on this list, and at worst I think there's a legit debate between the two which suggests that the tiers might be closer than one might assume.
I should have just asked you for your deeply evaluated rankings

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I should have just asked you for your deeply evaluated rankings
I'm just pointing out the threshold of top 20 on Wheelers list doesn't appear to make a meaningful difference wrt where Yakemchuk landed. Wheeler is obviously higher on Perekh than I am, and that's fine, but for the rest, tier three is tier three. How big of a gap really is there between Dickenson at 11 or Eiserman at 16, vs Iginla (23), Yakemchuk(24) and Sennecke(25)? Personally, I'd have taken all three ahead of Eiserman, and definately would have taken Iginla or Sennecke over Dickenson, Yakemchuk was a bit of a tossup, but I actually leaned a bit towards Dickenson over him. How about you? would you be happier had we drafted Eiserman and had a top 20 on Wheeler's list, or would you just change that threshold to top 15?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm just pointing out the threshold of top 20 on Wheelers list doesn't appear to make a meaningful difference wrt where Yakemchuk landed. Wheeler is obviously higher on Perekh than I am, and that's fine, but for the rest, tier three is tier three. How big of a gap really is there between Dickenson at 11 or Eiserman at 16, vs Iginla (23), Yakemchuk(24) and Sennecke(25)? Personally, I'd have taken all three ahead of Eiserman, and definately would have taken Iginla or Sennecke over Dickenson, Yakemchuk was a bit of a tossup, but I actually leaned a bit towards Dickenson over him. How about you? would you be happier had we drafted Eiserman and had a top 20 on Wheeler's list, or would you just change that threshold to top 15?
I don't really put a lot of stock in Wheeler's rankings ; .. My initial comment was more of a tongue in cheek shot at our scouts. but seems to hit a nerve; how dare I say that. I definitely agree with rankings that have Yakemchuk in 6th out of the top 6 D ranked for the Draft. My initial reaction was to the rankings was how high he had ranked Yakemchuk. I even asked him if Pronman had been buying the beers... I would definitely have Sennecke and Iginla higher. I would also rank Eiserman and Yakemcuk below where Yakemchuk is ranked on that list but pretty close together. Both have concerns that put them lower on my list .. That doesn't mean Eiserman won't be a really good scorer. I probably have less concerns for him than Yakemchuk due to the position,

But I will say I don't find theses lists that credible from these guys that can publish draft rankings on over a hundred players, then rank across a few drafts for a hundred or more NHL prospects and at close to the same time put out rankings for the next year's draft. There just are not enough days to do a good job .

Reactions: Micklebot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hutson is a blue chip and will be a top offensive D-man. Demidov a superstar

What about Jacob Fowler?

Also :

David Reinbacher
Logan Mailloux
Michael Hage
Joshua Roy
Adam Engstrom
Owen Beck
Emil Heineman
Sean Farrell
Oliver Kapanen
Filip Mesar
Riley Kidney
Aatos Koivu

This is going to be their Top-15. It looks stacked like it was for us after that 2020 draft. Problem is we sabotaged our wealth like CRAZY since. Hopefully they do the same mistakes.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
There's something about MTL's pool that is underwhelming to me.

Their two first rounders in 2024 are nice and Mailloux, Reinbacher and Hutson look like future NHL defensemen. But after that, I see a bunch of 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks that are dime a dozen prospects. Every team has guys like that in their organization. Sean Farrell, Owen Beck, Oilver Kapanen... this is supposed to make me afraid?

And Fowler has had one good year in the NCAA playing behind an ultra stacked Boston College team. Wake me up in 5 years when he's actually proven himself.

Reactions: Bileur and aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There's something about MTL's pool that is underwhelming to me.

Their two first rounders in 2024 are nice and Mailloux, Reinbacher and Hutson look like future NHL defensemen. But after that, I see a bunch of 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks that are dime a dozen prospects. Every team has guys like that in their organization. Sean Farrell, Owen Beck, Oilver Kapanen... this is supposed to make me afraid?

And Fowler has had one good year in the NCAA playing behind an ultra stacked Boston College team. Wake me up in 5 years when he's actually proven himself.

To put things in perspective, Owen Beck is the same caliber of prospect as Ridly Greig was and HF Habs just voted Beck 8th in their pool. Greig would be #2 in our pool right now. He was 6th in our pool in 2021, 3rd in 2022 and 1st in 2023

Sean Farrell got voted 17th in their pool, he's a depth prospect like a Crookshank. Oliver Kapanen was voted 10th and just went over PPG in the Liiga playoffs as a 20 y/o. The Athletic sees Jacob Fowler as the 3rd best goalie prospect

That's how Habs HF voted their prospects so far :

1. Ivan Demidov, 96.9% (NA)
2. Lane Hutson, 51.5% (-1)
3. David Reinbacher, 90.4% (-1)
4. Logan Mailloux, 37.3% (-1)
5. Michael Hage, 47.3% (NA)
6. Joshua Roy, 55.1% (-2)
7. Jacob Fowler, 56.2% (+4)
8. Owen Beck, 84.0% (-2)
9. Adam Engstrom, 49.1% (-4)
10. Oliver Kapanen, 43.6% (+4)
11. Florian Xhekaj, 35.5% (+14)
12. Filip Mesar, 43.3% (-3)
13. Bogdan Konyushkov, 52.1% (+5)
14. Jakub Dobes, 39.9% (-4)
15. Yevgeni Volokhin, 31.1% (+13)
16. Emil Heineman, 36.6% (-9)
17. Sean Farrell, 39.2% (-9)

In Wheeler's annual top 100 drafted NHL prospects ranking, here's how Habs prospects were ranked :

Ivan Demidov (3rd)
Lane Hutson (26th)
David Reinbacher (38th)
Michael Hage (41st)
Joshua Roy (68th)
Logan Mailloux (79th)

Their pool reminds me of how our pool looked after the 2020 draft. The hope would be that their management start screwing up BADLY like Dorion did but unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Just to make things worse, they have Calgary's 1st round draft pick in 2025 and they will probably add another top-10 pick after their season.

They already have Suzuki, Slafkovský, Caufield, Dach, Newhook and Guhle on the roster

Hard to not see them as a team that we'll have to beat if we ever get good and want to get out of our division. We had 4 years ahead in our rebuild, we didn't take advantage of that at all.

I think our pool is going to be a bit underrated but we miss at least 2 top guys and 2 other good prospects, which is normal considering Boucher, DeBrincat and Chychrun fiascos. And we still have a 1st round pick to forfeit (Dadonov fiasco). This league is extremely competitive, you can't afford that many screw ups. Having Dorion for so long hurt really BADLY. That's what I was talking about all these years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
To put things in perspective, Owen Beck is the same caliber of prospect as Ridly Greig was and HF Habs just voted Beck 8th in their pool. Greig would be #2 in our pool right now. He was 6th in our pool in 2021, 3rd in 2022 and 1st in 2023

Sean Farrell got voted 17th in their pool, he's a depth prospect like a Crookshank. Oliver Kapanen was voted 10th and just went over PPG in the Liiga playoffs as a 20 y/o. The Athletic sees Jacob Fowler as the 3rd best goalie prospect

That's how Habs HF voted their prospects so far :

1. Ivan Demidov, 96.9% (NA)
2. Lane Hutson, 51.5% (-1)
3. David Reinbacher, 90.4% (-1)
4. Logan Mailloux, 37.3% (-1)
5. Michael Hage, 47.3% (NA)
6. Joshua Roy, 55.1% (-2)
7. Jacob Fowler, 56.2% (+4)
8. Owen Beck, 84.0% (-2)
9. Adam Engstrom, 49.1% (-4)
10. Oliver Kapanen, 43.6% (+4)
11. Florian Xhekaj, 35.5% (+14)
12. Filip Mesar, 43.3% (-3)
13. Bogdan Konyushkov, 52.1% (+5)
14. Jakub Dobes, 39.9% (-4)
15. Yevgeni Volokhin, 31.1% (+13)
16. Emil Heineman, 36.6% (-9)
17. Sean Farrell, 39.2% (-9)

In Wheeler's annual top 100 drafted NHL prospects ranking, here's how Habs prospects were ranked :

Ivan Demidov (3rd)
Lane Hutson (26th)
David Reinbacher (38th)
Michael Hage (41st)
Joshua Roy (68th)
Logan Mailloux (79th)

Their pool reminds me of how our pool looked after the 2020 draft. The hope would be that their management start screwing up BADLY like Dorion did but unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Just to make things worse, they have Calgary's 1st round draft pick in 2025 and they will probably add another top-10 pick after their season.

They already have Suzuki, Slafkovský, Caufield, Dach, Newhook and Guhle on the roster

Hard to not see them as a team that we'll have to beat if we ever get good and want to get out of our division. We had 4 years ahead in our rebuild, we didn't take advantage of that at all.

I think our pool is going to be a bit underrated but we miss at least 2 top guys and 2 other good prospects, which is normal considering Boucher, DeBrincat and Chychrun fiascos. And we still have a 1st round pick to forfeit (Dadonov fiasco). This league is extremely competitive, you can't afford that many screw ups. Having Dorion for so long hurt really BADLY. That's what I was talking about all these years.
Is their pool better than ours? Yes. I agree with you on that. Their top 5 are definitely better than our top 5.

But I am sticking with what I said. After their top 5, their pool looks ordinary. More so, it is unproven. When their guys actually start playing in the NHL and prove themselves, then I'll give them some respect.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Is their pool better than ours? Yes. I agree with you on that. Their top 5 are definitely better than our top 5.

But I am sticking with what I said. After their top 5, their pool looks ordinary. More so, it is unproven. When their guys actually start playing in the NHL and prove themselves, then I'll give them some respect.
Dude. We don't have a pool, let alone a pot to piss in. Lol.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad