Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
With Terry our only RFA that filed for arbitration, what exactly does that mean for us? Does that mean Terry’s contract isn’t close and the others are?
It means he was the only one eligible for arbitration lol

But really, it's one of those things that isn't that significant until it is. A bargaining tool. Lundestrom was our last player to file, and he's here.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
With Terry our only RFA that filed for arbitration, what exactly does that mean for us? Does that mean Terry’s contract isn’t close and the others are?
Terry was the only one eligible for arbitration. It’s due to his service time or age or something like that. I don’t believe you can be arbitration-eligible coming off an ELC.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

DaGeneral

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2012
I think it means they aren’t very close. They might be offering 6, but Terry’s camp is at 8. It’s a game of chicken, whoever blinks first loses

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
will it be reported what we're offering to Terry and what he's asking for?
We don't typically hear that stuff. Generally neither agents or GMs like to negotiate in public by letting that type of thing out unless they feel the need to pressure the other party.

Reactions: dracom

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It means he was the only one eligible for arbitration lol

But really, it's one of those things that isn't that significant until it is. A bargaining tool. Lundestrom was our last player to file, and he's here.
It means he has the right to file arbitration, he hadn’t come to an agreement with the team, and it would be malpractice by his agent to not file for it. It gives him leverage that he can walk himself right up to free agency if the team gives an insulting offer or tries to play hardball. It does NOT mean that the team HAS already given an insulting offer or has played hardball, it’s just making sure that he has access to a right that he’s earned.

Many players who have elected for arbitration sign contracts before arbitration actually occurs. arbitration is a really bad thing to happen for the player-team relationship.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Terry was the only one eligible for arbitration. It’s due to his service time or age or something like that. I don’t believe you can be arbitration-eligible coming off an ELC.
Its dependent on pro years completed (another way of saying service time). Varies by age signing first contract 18-20 is 4 years, 21 is 3, 22-23 is 2, and 24+ is 1.

Of our class, Terry needed 3, and hit that back after 2020-21. Zegras, Dostal, and Groulx need 4 and each have 3 years completed (1 away), and Drysdale also needs 4 but only has 2 completed pro years as he did not play 10 games last season due to injury

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I wouldn’t mind Comtois and Benoit back with the way things are going.

Likely cheap and might be motivated to be more impactful. At Comtois worse I’d take him over Leason and McGinn and the D has like 3 actual NHLers at this point so a ton of spots there.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I wouldn’t mind Comtois and Benoit back with the way things are going.

Likely cheap and might be motivated to be more impactful. At Comtois worse I’d take him over Leason and McGinn and the D has like 3 actual NHLers at this point so a ton of spots there.
Agree with Benoit, disagree on Comtois. I just don't see him pulling himself together and giving a crap even though the non-QO should be a wake up call.

He had multiple shots at 1LW the past couple of seasons, and I'll grant you that he was injured for part of it, but all he did was...well, nothing.

Comtois is absolutely a better player than both Lesson and McGinn when he puts the effort in. Otherwise, he isn't good defensively, doesn't hustle, and doesn't hit. It's top-6 or nothing with him, and it's leaning heavily towards nothing.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I would take him back on a 1xminimum and give him a shot. As soon as he pulls the shit he normally does burry him in the AHL or buy him out.
I agree with this. A one year prove it at an AAV that could easily be sent to the minors or claimed off waivers. It's another dart to throw. Why not? I just wouldn't commit to him at all until it's earned.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Comtois is not coming back here.

The team has moved on and I’m sure he’s ready for a new opportunity.

We’re pretty set on forwards unless a Henrique trade is coming before the season starts

Zegras
Terry
McTavish
Strome
Vatrano
Henrique
Jones
Lundestrom
Killorn
Nesterenko
McGinn
Carrick
Silfverberg

That’s 13 before Carlsson

Some of those guys are pretty terrible but Comtois has produced at a 22 point pace the last 2 seasons and has questions about his work ethic

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree with Benoit, disagree on Comtois. I just don't see him pulling himself together and giving a crap even though the non-QO should be a wake up call.

He had multiple shots at 1LW the past couple of seasons, and I'll grant you that he was injured for part of it, but all he did was...well, nothing.

Comtois is absolutely a better player than both Lesson and McGinn when he puts the effort in. Otherwise, he isn't good defensively, doesn't hustle, and doesn't hit. It's top-6 or nothing with him, and it's leaning heavily towards nothing.

I think there is a lot of concern with Comtois off-ice work ethics. If he was in Eakins doghouse must have been bad. We need some fresh blood in the line up.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How so? It isn’t like other teams are jumping at signing him.
We know he sucks here, and we know his attitude is an issue that we don't want rubbing off on our kids on either pro level, but we should bring him back just because maybe he'll go back to being a 30 point player on a rebuilding team?

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad