2023-24 Roster Thread #9: Spring time is upon us

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

Bump "pushing himself into a high end prospect" says all you need to know about how they view the rebuild. "Where will the high end talent come from?" you ask. Very simple! Just use that label for 20 year old 5th round freshmen.

I actually think Bump might be their most interesting college prospect (including Rizzo) and could be an NHLer.......but c'mon.

I also was much higher on bump than everyone else, him and Devin Kaplan both I really wanted to draft, and was happy we did, do I think he's ever going to be a star? No, but I certainly think he can be a good top 9/bottom 6 player for us, but high end prospect? No, certainly not there yet lol

Reactions: Magua

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I also was much higher on bump than everyone else, him and Devin Kaplan both I really wanted to draft, and was happy we did, do I think he's ever going to be a star? No, but I certainly think he can be a good top 9/bottom 6 player for us, but high end prospect? No, certainly not there yet lol
never here much about kaplan at all. is that good or bad? or both?

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm worried they're going to do something stupid. After Toronto getting eliminated last night, I'm worried that they're going to go after Marner. This is the kind of trade that has Flyers written all over it.

Reactions: Devonator

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It looks like there's going to be some musical chairs being played in the coaching ranks. Keefe is probably out in Toronto. If he's on the market does Dubas snatch him up and terminate Sullivan? Sullivan and Tortorella have history together. Is it possible that Torts brings in Sullivan in some capacity with the Flyers?

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
never here much about kaplan at all. is that good or bad? or both?
He had a decent year, he's not playing with much help either on his line, but he also didn't take as big of a step forward as I would have hoped but he definitely has top 9 potential for sure, if he keeps improving I see a better passing wayne simmonds, not with as many power play goals, but very similar style of play with the way they carry the puck and use their body to protect the puck

Reactions: VladDrag

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
It looks like there's going to be some musical chairs being played in the coaching ranks. Keefe is probably out in Toronto. If he's on the market does Dubas snatch him up and terminate Sullivan? Sullivan and Tortorella have history together. Is it possible that Torts brings in Sullivan in some capacity with the Flyers?

I don’t think Sullivan is going anywhere tbh. And even if he does, he’s not accepting an assistant job.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think Sullivan is going anywhere tbh. And even if he does, he’s not accepting an assistant job.

Yeah if Sullivan is let go he’s pretty much dictating the head coaching market. The guy is probably getting paid next year regardless if he’s coaching or not so taking the year off if he doesn’t like what would be out there I would imagine is more of an option than taking an assistant job.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
He had a decent year, he's not playing with much help either on his line, but he also didn't take as big of a step forward as I would have hoped but he definitely has top 9 potential for sure, if he keeps improving I see a better passing wayne simmonds, not with as many power play goals, but very similar style of play with the way they carry the puck and use their body to protect the puck
ben watching him play for the last 10 years. liked the pick then. he will be a bottom 6 nhl player I believe. he has offensive skills hopefully see more of them in the future

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yeah if Sullivan is let go he’s pretty much dictating the head coaching market. The guy is probably getting paid next year regardless if he’s coaching or not so taking the year off if he doesn’t like what would be out there I would imagine is more of an option than taking an assistant job.
It would all depend on what future opportunities were offered to him.
Personally, I don't believe that Tortorella will be coaching this club after this season. He came here on a four year deal. When that is done, he'll either be gone to a management position with the organization; retire or be let go. (He went into a season with CBJ where he was left dangling on the last year of his deal with no future with the organization. That was not a happy situation for him. I doubt that he'd want to redo that experience.) Under these circumstances, Sullivan might take a year as an assistant if he knew that the HC job was his after that season. Especially if he had his buddy, JT, in the FO to have his back.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It would all depend on what future opportunities were offered to him.
Personally, I don't believe that Tortorella will be coaching this club after this season. He came here on a four year deal. When that is done, he'll either be gone to a management position with the organization; retire or be let go. (He went into a season with CBJ where he was left dangling on the last year of his deal with no future with the organization. That was not a happy situation for him. I doubt that he'd want to redo that experience.) Under these circumstances, Sullivan might take a year as an assistant if he knew that the HC job was his after that season. Especially if he had his buddy, JT, in the FO to have his back.
There is smoke of Keefe to Pittsburgh and Sullivan to Jersey.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'm worried they're going to do something stupid. After Toronto getting eliminated last night, I'm worried that they're going to go after Marner. This is the kind of trade that has Flyers written all over it.

I don't. I don't think they are gonna do enough is my issue. I want more subtractions but instead of getting rid of Risto/Laughton/Atkinson I think they just get rid of Frost or Farabee instead.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
ben watching him play for the last 10 years. liked the pick then. he will be a bottom 6 nhl player I believe. he has offensive skills hopefully see more of them in the future

I liked him more last year vs this year. Kind of stagnated this year in terms of development from my perspective...But I recognize, I didn't watch a ton of him this year (and more so in the beginning of the season), so it could have just been the viewings I saw. I don't know how you (kel) define top 9 potential, but I don't see more more than a bottom of the lineup-type player...However, I do like him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I will agree I'd have taken hutson ahead of kaplan, but when I wanted kaplan I didn't think hutson would be there lol
Tbf he wasn't, he went 7 picks before, but if they had him rated ahead of Kaplan, and much higher like they should have, they most likely would have traded up for him. This was during their phase of not chasing "offensive" defenseman since they thought they were good with York and Andrae in the fold...so it's entirely possible, probable even, they thought Kaplan was a better prospect.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Tbf he wasn't, he went 7 picks before, but if they had him rated ahead of Kaplan, and much higher like they should have, they most likely would have traded up for him. This was during their phase of not chasing "offensive" defenseman since they thought they were good with York and Andrae in the fold...so it's entirely possible, probable even, they thought Kaplan was a better prospect.
When I said be there I should have been a bit more specific lol I meant within reach to where it wouldn't cost so much to trade up for him

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I liked him more last year vs this year. Kind of stagnated this year in terms of development from my perspective...But I recognize, I didn't watch a ton of him this year (and more so in the beginning of the season), so it could have just been the viewings I saw. I don't know how you (kel) define top 9 potential, but I don't see more more than a bottom of the lineup-type player...However, I do like him.
When I say top 9 I mean 3rd liner who can occasionally slide up (not for long stretches) so I should be more specific with that as well, bottom 6 meaning 4th liner who can sometimes play 3rd line, but I will agree, I wasnt thrilled to not see him take a bigger step forward, but having said that his linemates were pretty buns, but he still didn't show as much as I'd have like to see from him, he played a much more passive game than the year prior

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad