Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
This season I'll just update the first post each Monday instead of a copy/paste of a table each time.

+ = on IR or just hurt
# = season complete

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #1521Bridgeport Islanders5215102529-12
Samuel BolducD2019 round 2 #572New York Islanders331236-5
Bridgeport Islanders510122
Matthew MaggioRW2022 round 5 #1423Bridgeport Islanders581692520-2
Simon HolmstromRW/LW2019 round 1 #234New York Islanders721492314-1
Danny Nelson #C2023 round 2 #495Univ. of Notre Dame3091423325
USA U20711204
Ruslan IskhakovC/LW2018 round 2 #436Bridgeport Islanders6717314830-16
Tyce ThompsonRWTradeUtica Comets15055124
Bridgeport Islanders473101354-19
Calle OdeliusD2022 round 2 #658Djugardens IF1004420
Djugardens IF (Playoffs)201120
Sweden U2080118-
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #469Bridgeport Islanders645182322-12
Isaiah GeorgeD2022 round 4 #9810London Knights68624305426
London (Playoffs)412305
Alex JefferiesLW2020 round 4 #12111Merrimack College22131023191
Bridgeport Islanders83140-1
Eetu LiukasLW2021 round 5 #15712Bridgeport Islanders4534734-13
Quinn Finley #LW2022 round 3 #7813Univ. of Wisconsin359615164
USA U20711202
Jesse Nurmi #LW2023 round 4 #11314KooKoo190222-7
KooKoo U2064480-2
Finland U2060220-
Aleksi Malinen #D2021 round 6 #18915TJYP150220-3
Zach Schulz #D2023 round 6 #177HM1Univ. of Wisconsin3324664
Cameron Berg #C2021 round 4 #125HM2Univ. of North Dakota4020173787
Daylan KueflerLW2022 round 6 #174HM3Worcester Railers175389-4
Bridgeport Islanders1933637-1
Aidan FulpDUFABridgeport Islanders4714514-19
Justin GillC2023 round 5 #145Baie-Comeau Drakkar654058986657
Baie-Comeau (Playoffs)434724
Dennis Good Bogg #D2023 round 7 #209AIK J201814545-5
AIK1001101
Vallentuna Hockey701110-1
Brodernas/Vasby40002-2
Östersunds IK80116-4
Östersunds IK (Playoffs)100000
Alexander Ljungkrantz #LW/RW2020 round 3 #90Almtuna IS442012328-7
Farjestad BK80000-1
Travis MitchellDUFABridgeport Islanders3413436-6
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #147Bridgeport Islanders1512321
Worcester Railers1054924
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183SaiPa5308818-24
Bridgeport Islanders000000
GOALIESGPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Tristan LennoxG2021 round 3 #9315TWorcester Railers132.94.90905-6-1
Jakub SkarekG2018 round 3 #72Bridgeport Islanders343.15.89007-21-5
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214Currently UFABridgeport Islanders162.17.92707-5-2
Worcester Railers183.25.890010-6-1

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You can watch Isaiah George in the memorial cup tonight when London Plays Moosejaw on NHLnetwork

Drummondville has already dropped two. I so wish we'd see the Drakkar there instead, but they really blew it in the Q final.

Moose Jaw was supposed to be the powerhouse, but London and Saginaw (who already faced each other in the OHL playoffs where London knocked them off 4-1 or 4-2) have looked pretty good thus far.

Granted, I haven't seen any results from last night yet, if there were any.

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
forgot that Rajaniemi is signed with B-port

any updates on Ljungkrantz anyways?

On the one hand, there have been very few draftees the Isles don't add to the organization in some way, shape, or form. And I can't remember one guy as of the 4th round or higher than Lou hasn't signed. Also, this past season was clearly Ljungkrantz's best season to date.

On the other hand, his abilities (and he has a few) haven't culminated in indicating him ever being an NHL topic. Also, he's got a contract with Färjestad already next season and it's just not imaginable that another organization would be interested in signing him.

If I had to bet, they've likely told his party that they are in a bit of a contract squeeze and won't be adding him now. He could sign on with BPort, which the organization would surely like, but they know that a season in Färjestad is potentially a very fine step in development and the parties could just revisit an ELC or addition via the minors again next summer.

But there have been no updates from his party or ours.

Hard to think they'll be signing him if they haven't yet.

'''
I must once again say though - no-one anywhere understood why they selected him in the 3rd round in 2020. None of the journalists touched on this. No-one I know of in the scene has been able to provide any inside reason or explanation for the selection of Ljungkrantz whatsoever, much less at that juncture in the draft. Nobody had him ranked in the top 200. Few even had him in the top 230. That doesn't have to mean anything, but here we are 4 years later and there's never been any indication that whatever the reasoning was behind his selection, it was viable.

And when you've only got 4 or 5 picks every summer, you've at least got to be hitting on ELC-worthy players within the top 3-4 rounds.

In other news, after a nothing burger of a season in which he played at least 4 games for 5(!) different teams, 20-year-old Good Bogg (who would need to be signed by next summer, if I've seen that correctly) has now signed a HockeyAllsvenskan contract (2nd league, where Ljungkrantz played this season) with one of the expected bottom-feeders.

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
On the one hand, there have been very few draftees the Isles don't add to the organization in some way, shape, or form. And I can't remember one guy as of the 4th round or higher than Lou hasn't signed. Also, this past season was clearly Ljungkrantz's best season to date.

On the other hand, his abilities (and he has a few) haven't culminated in indicating him ever being an NHL topic. Also, he's got a contract with Färjestad already next season and it's just not imaginable that another organization would be interested in signing him.

If I had to bet, they've likely told his party that they are in a bit of a contract squeeze and won't be adding him now. He could sign on with BPort, which the organization would surely like, but they know that a season in Färjestad is potentially a very fine step in development and the parties could just revisit an ELC or addition via the minors again next summer.

'''
I must once again say though - no-one anywhere understood why they selected him in the 3rd round in 2020. None of the journalist touched on this. No-one I know of in the scene has been able to provide any inside reason or explanation for their selection of Ljungkrantz whatsoever, much less at that juncture in the draft. Nobody had him ranked in the top 200. Few even had him in the top 230. That doesn't have to mean anything, but here we are 4 years later and there's never been any indication that whatever the reasoning was behind his selection, it was viable.

And when you've only got 4 or 5 picks every summer, you've at least got to be hitting on ELC-worthy players within the top 3-4 rounds.

In other news, after a nothing burger of a season in which he played at least 4 games for 5(!) different teams, 20-year-old Good Bogg (who would need to be signed by next summer, if I've seen that correctly) has now signed a HockeyAllsvenskan contract (2nd league, where Ljungkrantz played this season) with one of the expected bottom-feeders.
I saw Gross' tweet earlier and thought of you, you've hated this pick for four years and here we are.

Reactions: seafoam

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022

'''
I must once again say though - no-one anywhere understood why they selected him in the 3rd round in 2020. None of the journalists touched on this. No-one I know of in the scene has been able to provide any inside reason or explanation for the selection of Ljungkrantz whatsoever, much less at that juncture in the draft. Nobody had him ranked in the top 200. Few even had him in the top 230. That doesn't have to mean anything, but here we are 4 years later and there's never been any indication that whatever the reasoning was behind his selection, it was viable.

With the European picks in later rounds, the Isles scouting seem like they aren't even trying or trying too hard. Overall, they seem to be picking players with low ceilings to begin with. I'm not entirely sure why, but the drafting philosophy has changed drastically since LL took over.

The last time the Isles drafted an impact player outside the first round was 2014 (Sorokin, Toews). Since 2015, the only notable players they have drafted have been Barzal and Dobson. The Isles scouting/development is brutal. Not a recipe for success for a team who's not exactly thrifty when it comes to roster construction.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So they’re going to let Ljungkrantz walk? Rajaniemi is on a contract with Bridgeport.

Although these lists are always like picking at straws, there are once again a couple of names on there that, if they go unsigned, will surely either gain attention right away or will likely be grabbed as free agents over the next two summers.

Simontaival (LAK) is a smaller player but has several years of Liiga play under his belt and is coming off a 30+ point season already.

He's bascially already everything we could have ever ideally hoped for from a Ljungkrantz.

Aside from him, I can see particularly Hvidston, Lindgren, Ekmark, Petrovsky, Lisowsky, and Sward perhaps getting ELC interest from someone this summer.

Reactions: crashthenet

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With the European picks in later rounds, the Isles scouting seem like they aren't even trying or trying too hard. Overall, they seem to be picking players with low ceilings to begin with. I'm not entirely sure why, but the drafting philosophy has changed drastically since LL took over.

I felt Rajaniemi was good at the time and Tikkanen didn't seem like a bad pick, but certainly a wasted one as no-one was drafting him. They could have just signed him without being drafted, even to a minor league contract.

Liukas was looking good before this past season and there's no rush for either Malinen (incredible wheels) or Machu (scheduled for Providence next fall).

That's pretty much it for late round Europeans.

But yes, when we look at Ljungkrantz, Tikkanen, Machu, and Good Bogg, we're talking about 4 Europeans that were basically unranked heading into the draft they were selected in. Ljungkrantz was still mentioned by those who give you 275-300 names. The others weren't mentioned at all.

Looks like we can say it's an official "thang" for this staff. Clearly hasn't led to anything yet though.

The last time the Isles drafted an impact player outside the first round was 2014 (Sorokin, Toews). Since 2015, the only notable players they have drafted have been Barzal and Dobson. The Isles scouting/development is brutal. Not a recipe for success for a team who's not exactly thrifty when it comes to roster construction.

"Development" may be the key word.

What are i.e. Dallas and Tampa doing in the developmental area that the Islanders aren't?

They're definitely doing something different.

Looking at solely the past 10 drafts, we've come out with exactly Pulock, Sorokin, Toews, Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Holmstrom.

Seems like a whole lot of other teams have popped out that many and that quality of NHLer in just 4-6 drafts.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Although these lists are always like picking at straws, there are once again a couple of names on there that, if they go unsigned, will surely either gain attention right away or will likely be grabbed as free agents over the next two summers.

Simontaival (LAK) is a smaller player but has several years of Liiga play under his belt and is coming off a 30+ point season already.

He's bascially already everything we could have ever ideally hoped for from a Ljungkrantz.

Aside from him, I can see particularly Hvidston, Lindgren, Ekmark, Petrovsky, Lisowsky, and Sward perhaps getting ELC interest from someone this summer.
I would like Simontaival. I liked his 2020 world juniors a ton, and he'd be a good depth piece for Bridgeport

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I would hope that when you've got a Finn like Kautonen heading your scouting staff, he'd know all about a player like this.
Yeah I feel like our scouting has been all over the place anyways, but maybe they get more leeway this draft. Its probably a good one to at least poke around

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Didn't Rajaniemi sign a ATO with Bridgeport towards the end of season. Could be he signs an AHL deal instead of an NHL one.

Already has.

He'll be in BPort next season.

At the moment, the NYI-contracted Dmen are Hutton, Fulp, Mitchell, Warren, George (could play OHL again), and Odelius (could remain in Sweden).

Rajaniemi and a college player named Cam MacDonald have current AHL contracts. I was under the belief that Krygier is still in the fold but can't find verification. Cosgrove had a big year for Worcester.

Salo, Cholowski, and Sevigny can walk.

Can't see either of Ladue or Helgeson returning.

Gotta think they'll bring in two more vets. I can imagine they'll look to retain Cholowski, but he really should give Europe some consideration at this point.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yeah I feel like our scouting has been all over the place anyways, but maybe they get more leeway this draft. Its probably a good one to at least poke around

There have been identifiable trends in the Lou error.

- Always select 1-2 overagers, usually as of Round 5
- Hover around 2 players from the Nordic countries every draft (6 Finns over the past 4 drafts)
- Stay away from Russia
- Almost completely ignore Czechs and Slovaks
- At least one American every draft, basically always college-bound
- As mentioned above, regularly take someone the independent agencies basically don't have ranked.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There have been identifiable trends in the Lou error.

- Always select 1-2 overagers, usually as of Round 5
- Hover around 2 players from the Nordic countries every draft (6 Finns over the past 4 drafts)
- Stay away from Russia
- Almost completely ignore Czechs and Slovaks
- At least one American every draft, basically always college-bound
- As mentioned above, regularly take someone the independent agencies basically don't have ranked.
Isles have ignored them for the past few years anyways. Last slovak drafted dates back a long long time man. I honestly also don't hate that they stay away from Russia but its 100% from their staff not liking the past few years I guess.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Isles have ignored them for the past few years anyways. Last slovak drafted dates back a long long time man. I honestly also don't hate that they stay away from Russia but its 100% from their staff not liking the past few years I guess.

Last Slovak drafted was tomas marcinko In the 4th round of 2006.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
McKeens released their annual NHL prospect report today to subscribers, this is always a good read (especially for me with my EHM work). Isles were ranked 30/32 teams in line with other rankings, sharing the Isles pages for discussion:

1717263788919.png

1717263803214.png

1717263841094.png

1717263856416.png

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Jefferies and George are way too low for my liking.
Scouts generally just don't seem high on George's decision making and overall upside, he's one of those players we have to see in Bridgeport first, and it might take a few years, best case scenario he's a poor man's Pelech IMO.|

Another sample from The Pro Hockey Group (granted it's October but he is projecting up):

1717275125272.png

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Scouts generally just don't seem high on George's decision making and overall upside, he's one of those players we have to see in Bridgeport first, and it might take a few years, best case scenario he's a poor man's Pelech IMO.|

Another sample from The Pro Hockey Group (granted it's October but he is projecting up):

View attachment 878385

George is an elite skater according to all reports, hopefully heaps of reps will help his decision making deficiencies improve to an acceptable level. Keep his game simple and we may have a nice player on our hands.

If there is one elite trait to have, skating is pretty up there. Plus he's not a shrimp, I like that.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Re. George:
Everyone should just reckon with him needing a good bit of time to really become an NHL topic.

If you've been watching powerhouse London this season, you'll know what I'm talking about. Sadly, even his skating has not been separating him from his peers or allowing him to escape pressure or make more of tight spaces.

Reactions: xECK29x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad