GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And was the only line getting offensive zone pressure when paired with the right defensive pairing.

But for whatever reason the coach decided to have Thornton and that line babysit the worst defensive pairing in the entire league.
Yup, the downfall of that series was the Hertl injury and the complete ineptitude of Roman Polak.

If Hertl hadn’t gotten hurt on a dirty-ass play (I feel like it was maybe Malkin who kneed him?), resulting in Donskoi and
Marleau being moved up to the first and second lines respectively, and Doug Wilson hadn’t given DeBoer a shiny new Polak to play over the far superior Dylan DeMelo, it would have been a pretty even series. The Dillon-Polak pairing neutered the Thornton line and Donskoi moving up ruined the depth.

As it was, series was totally one-sided other than Jones.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yup, the downfall of that series was the Hertl injury and the complete ineptitude of Roman Polak.

If Hertl hadn’t gotten hurt on a dirty-ass play (I feel like it was maybe Malkin who kneed him?), resulting in Donskoi and
Marleau being moved up to the first and second lines respectively, and Doug Wilson hadn’t given DeBoer a shiny new Polak to play over the far superior Dylan DeMelo, it would have been a pretty even series. The Dillon-Polak pairing neutered the Thornton line and Donskoi moving up ruined the depth.

Wasn't it Hornqvist?

Edit: Of course it was.

Reactions: karltonian

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I think this is a lot of revisionism WRT DeMelo. Everyone loves their shiny prospects, but don't forget that once DeMelo got more responsibility the next two seasons he struggled mightily. I have confidence that DeBoer knew this and hence didn't dare play him in the playoffs.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Polak was part of the reason we even got to the SCF in the first place.

As with all DW teams, the forward depth was an absolute joke. I'm pretty sure Spaling and Zubrus never played in the NHL again. Melker never belonged in the NHL to begin with. Tierney was probably one of the worst 3Cs in the league.

Reactions: DG93

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I've never felt quite as anxious/stressed as I did that series every time Polak touched the ice. I swear, every single shift that pairing was getting absolutely buried and just doing everything they could to get off the ice without giving up a goal. It was wild to watch

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think this is a lot of revisionism WRT DeMelo. Everyone loves their shiny prospects, but don't forget that once DeMelo got more responsibility the next two seasons he struggled mightily. I have confidence that DeBoer knew this and hence didn't dare play him in the playoffs.
I know it’s not a popular stance to take here but I’m a believer that Polak was a force in the first 3 rounds. Demelo wouldn’t have been that. He’s just not a physical player as Roman was. That was vital in the playoffs.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I know it’s not a popular stance to take here but I’m a believer that Polak was a force in the first 3 rounds. Demelo wouldn’t have been that. He’s just not a physical player as Roman was. That was vital in the playoffs.
Yes that was vital through the West Playoffs. But PDB should have had the sense to appreciate that Polak was not what was needed against the speedy Pens. Especially as that series progressed.

Of course, history has borne out that Peter DeDumbass is terrible when it comes to adjustments in a playoff series or from series to series. He is the king of "well it worked against x team, so it will work against y team." And then when it's not working against y team, "I'm just going to keep at it. Everything will figure itself out." But it usually doesn't lol.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Of course, history has borne out that Peter DeDumbass is terrible when it comes to adjustments in a playoff series or from series to series. He is the king of "well it worked against x team, so it will work against y team." And then when it's not working against y team, "I'm just going to keep at it. Everything will figure itself out." But it usually doesn't lol.
DeBoer is actually fantastic at making adjustments. His mistake against the Pens was that he waited until after game 1. He should have come in realizing that Pittsburgh was a different beast.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Polak was part of the reason we even got to the SCF in the first place.

As with all DW teams, the forward depth was an absolute joke. I'm pretty sure Spaling and Zubrus never played in the NHL again. Melker never belonged in the NHL to begin with. Tierney was probably one of the worst 3Cs in the league.
Wildly untrue, Polak was garbage from the day he got to SJ.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Wildly untrue, Polak was garbage from the day he got to SJ.
To call him garbage is extreme. He wasn’t brought here to supplant Burns.
He was brought to be a third pairing with Dillon to be physical and hit through players and kill penalties. He did that. For 3 rounds.
Was he overmatched against the Penguins? Yes. So were many of our players. But all of these players brought us to the only Stanley Cup final we’ve been in.
I see no garbage there.

Reactions: Bizz and Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To call him garbage is extreme. He wasn’t brought here to supplant Burns.
He was brought to be a third pairing with Dillon to be physical and hit through players and kill penalties. He did that. For 3 rounds.
Was he overmatched against the Penguins? Yes. So were many of our players. But all of these players brought us to the only Stanley Cup final we’ve been in.
I see no garbage there.
He hit (as much as Pavelski), but he for sure didn't make a difference on the PK. Him and Dillon were the only Sharks to be a minus player (that takes a extra special kind of player to do that).

Nearly every single stat that pairing is at the very worst on the team. There is no stat or footage of those 2 that shows they were a key part of that team making the cup finals.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
He hit (as much as Pavelski), but he for sure didn't make a difference on the PK. Him and Dillon were the only Sharks to be a minus player (that takes a extra special kind of player to do that).

Nearly every single stat that pairing is at the very worst on the team. There is no stat or footage of those 2 that shows they were a key part of that team making the cup finals.
I didn’t claim he was key to the team making the finals. I agree with that even so. He did what he was brought to do. Necessary in the playoffs. Someone has to be the worst, even on Stanley Cup winning teams. Everyone has a part.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
IMG_1163.jpeg

An oldie but a goodie.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

I know it's already been mentioned but it was Hornqvist and he will always be garbage to me for it.

Regarding Polak, he was an example of intangibles IMO. His physicality WAS a factor in making the finals however it was completely nullified by the Pens in the finals.

Reactions: Alaskanice

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yep, two massive weaknesses in his GMing (acquiring depth/goaltending and coaching hires) that buried some very good f***ing Sharks teams. Oh well...

Don't let your "oh wells" stay "oh well."

Join our Sharks support group where our job is to remind people that Dougie and Dougie Jr. (aka Dumb and Dumber) ruined our only chance at a Cup with his horrific signings. And to effusively praise all the moves our new savior Mike Grier makes as he rids us of all of Junior's draft picks one by one. You can ask Hodge for an application, he's the Secretary. Of course, he wants the President position like Snape wants the Defense Against the Dark Arts position but not yet.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Don't let your "oh wells" stay "oh well."

Join our Sharks support group where our job is to remind people that Dougie and Dougie Jr. (aka Dumb and Dumber) ruined our only chance at a Cup with his horrific signings. And to effusively praise all the moves our new savior Mike Grier makes as he rids us of all of Junior's draft picks one by one. You can ask Hodge for an application, he's the Secretary. Of course, he wants the President position like Snape wants the Defense Against the Dark Arts position but not yet.
come at the secretary you better not miss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad