2023-24 Mike Milbury Trophy (Worst GM)

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
While there are some other candidates, the two that I really don't want to be GM's for my team, are Dorion and Blake. Both have a long list of bad decisions and I really can't see either having qualities to improve.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Rob Blake has been a turd but the Kings did make the playoffs. Kyle Dubas doesn't really have an enviable position but he's made lackluster moves all the same.

Maybe Jarmo Kekäläinen considering he was actually canned. The Babcock hiring alone might be enough to secure him the Mike Milbury.
I think these are the podium finalists right here.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Ottawa?
Offseason expectations were for the playoffs, and they failed miserably.
GM's moves: Korpisalo was a bust. Chychurn was bad. Tarasenko was bad. Bad return on Debricant. Coach fired mid season.
I would also add the announcement of the loss of a future 1st round draft pick because the GM knowingly lied about a player submitting their NTC and was subsequently fired.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Early vote for next season : Brian MacLellan

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Leafs lost embarassingly in the first round of the playoffs with Treliving. We also lost embarrassingly in the first round of the playoffs, three out of the last four years. The fourth year we lost embarrassingly in the second round.

Wait a minute, to be fair, we actually had a lot of respect in the handshake line against Tampa, so count that as you will.

Idk how "same shit, different day" with the core he inherited makes Treliving the worst GM. This isn't the poll for the GM who has the most manbabies in the dressing room, he'd win that one for sure.

It's baffling to me that they haven't made much of an effort to split up that core yet. The Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares core is not going to get it done. Too much money allocated into 4 forwards and the resulting lack of depth (and goaltending) kills them every single year in the Playoffs.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
As of today, the Islanders are still paying Rick DiPietro $1.5 million per year... and will continue to so for five more years.

Given this, I think Milbury himself still deserves the 2024 Milbury.
To give Mad Mike a break, Charles Wang handed out that contract after Milbury resigned. Now he may have advised Wang to do it…the “Hockey for Dummies: book Wang carried to his first press conference needed a chapter on bad contracts. But there is enough to blame Milbury for including such things as an antagonistic attitude for fans with their attachment to the “Four in a row” Stanley Cup players

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was going to Homer vote for Guerin, but after seeing some of the names here, I can see that he has work to do.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
I wish Dubas had done more in-season to change the trajectory of the season but oh well. While he was meh, there were far worse GMs in the league. I'm glad to see he still lives rent-free in so many people's heads, though.
Not really rent free. Tavares still costs 11m. After next season though it'll definitely be rent free

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
This award really shouldn’t go to GMs who were fired early into the season unless you truly exceed the field. Dorian had a not great offseason (signing Korpi and trading Debrincat for little value) but The Chychurn trade was clearly a 22-23 blunder in hindsight. Dorian also likely only survived that offseason because new ownership had no control over the team until September and promptly fired him 21 days into the season.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Have you seen Milbury's moves? You could make the argument he traded away a potential NYI Dynasty
lol dynasty

Shedding some of the worst contracts in the league and getting assets for them… wish he was rebuilding my team.
Grier had the easiest job of any GM right now.

Tank tank tank.

Let’s see how great he is on a couple of years when it’s time to win.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
lol dynasty

Grier had the easiest job of any GM right now.

Tank tank tank.

Let’s see how great he is on a couple of years when it’s time to win.

I mean the man traded away

Spezza
Chara
Palffy
Berard
Lou
Salo
Erik Brewer
Bertuzzi
McCabe
Redden
I
know I'm missing a ton.

In a non cap era if he didn't f*** it up

That team could have won cups.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And could have had Gaborik or Heatly instead of Dipietro.
Hindsight. Dipietro was the widely regarded 1OV.

Sorta like 06 when it was Erik Johnson. Then you had a debate of 2-5 of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel - all of whom went on to be much better than Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad