Trois-Rivières Lions 2023-24 Lions de Trois-Rivières

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Good for them.
They still don't come close to the numbers a city populous can provide.
There are obviously serious issues there. Is it the spectacle the marketing the league itself.
Maybe ECHL just doesn't work in this province?
I know for people like you, everything in Quebec has to revolve around Montreal but the Lions would be fine outside Montreal with an owner that pays his bills to the city and the League. DSE is a financial mess and it has nothing to do with either Trois-Rivières or St. John's hockey markets.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know for people like you, everything in Quebec has to revolve around Montreal but the Lions would be fine outside Montreal with an owner that pays his bills to the city and the League. DSE is a financial mess and it has nothing to do with either Trois-Rivières or St. John's hockey markets.
Who exactly are people like me?

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Who exactly are people like me?
You sound like someone who thinks that everything revolve around Montreal, sorry if it's not the case. My local hockey team basically got Loria'd. And honestly, that's only now and cause of bad news that national medias talk about the Lions.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Apparently, a radio station in Mauricie said they have info about a potential buyer who might be waiting to swoop in the 11th hour to probably buy the team at a lower cost. And that it could be done before the deadline tomorrow.

If it does indeed end for them, expect Laval to call up everyone who is on an AHL deal, particularly Tourigny, who is the only one drafted by Montreal to be in 3R.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can't see any reason why a local group couldn't take this and make it work. Look how well the Rocket is doing, the town really adopted it as THE local team. There are ways to do the lower level pro hockey thing right.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You sound like someone who thinks that everything revolve around Montreal, sorry if it's not the case. My local hockey team basically got Loria'd. And honestly, that's only now and cause of bad news that national medias talk about the Lions.
That's the thing.
You are painting me with a broad stroke not knowing...
Where I was born and you'd be very surprised. Where I grew up or what my professional political and religious background is.
What I do know is If I was in the entertainment business and I had to market my product I'd certainly prefer a populous city for my venture.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
That's the thing.
You are painting me with a broad stroke not knowing...
Where I was born and you'd be very surprised. Where I grew up or what my professional political and religious background is.
What I do know is If I was in the entertainment business and I had to market my product I'd certainly prefer a populous city for my venture.
Sorry then, but I doubt a South shore or Quebec CIty ECHL team would be a lot more viable. When you take a look at ECHL locations, most if not all are away from AHL and NHL location and most of Northern teams are in similar towns to Trois-Rivières.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sorry then, but I doubt a South shore or Quebec CIty ECHL team would be a lot more viable. When you take a look at ECHL locations, most if not all are away from AHL and NHL location and most of Northern teams are in similar towns to Trois-Rivières.
Do any of them have a healthy balance sheet? :dunno:

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Theres no reason Verdun or West Island couldn't support a ECHL team. Keep the three tiers close to one another. Stocked with local boys and draftees with a pathway to Laval then MTL.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Do any of them have a healthy balance sheet? :dunno:
We obviously don't have internal cashflows, but "rumours" from internal sources told the local medias that money from the Lions was use for other DSE projects. They also had full control of all the Colisée videotron venues but did nothing else when the Lions were not playing.

Theres no reason Verdun or West Island couldn't support a ECHL team. Keep the three tiers close to one another. Stocked with local boys and draftees with a pathway to Laval then MTL.
What's funny is that it's probably shorter in time to drive from Trois-Rivières to Laval than from Longueuil.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Apparently, a radio station in Mauricie said they have info about a potential buyer who might be waiting to swoop in the 11th hour to probably buy the team at a lower cost. And that it could be done before the deadline tomorrow.

If it does indeed end for them, expect Laval to call up everyone who is on an AHL deal, particularly Tourigny, who is the only one drafted by Montreal to be in 3R.

On 32 thoughts Friedman touched this a bit in that the teams owe the city they play in money and the parent teams.

Newfoundland owes a bit of money to Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg, as all 3 have had, or have a team affiliated with them out there.

Teams are also unlikely to want to absorb those players, especially at this juncture.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
We obviously don't have internal cashflows, but "rumours" from internal sources told the local medias that money from the Lions was use for other DSE projects. They also had full control of all the Colisée videotron venues but did nothing else when the Lions were not playing.

What's funny is that it's probably shorter in time to drive from Trois-Rivières to Laval than from Longueuil.
I havent lived in MTL in 20 years, but what is the largest arena on the west Island?

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I havent lived in MTL in 20 years, but what is the largest arena on the west Island?
It's not typical that ECHL teams are own by the NHL team. I don't expect a scenario where an owner would try to compete with Molson in Montreal market.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It's not typical that ECHL teams are own by the NHL team. I don't expect a scenario where an owner would try to compete with Molson in Montreal market.
But it's not competition, it only enhances the club and brand..
Never understood why there can't be like 3 divisions. The market would be so much more engaged as players go up or down within the organization. And fans can track them much easier..

It's the same reason i was saying it for AHL team for MTL way back when we were in st.john, fredericton etc.... like wtf was that? People said the same thing then... now you see almost every team starting to do it.
Now Laval is a growing franchise and getting stronger.. why cant we have an ECHL team play out of the Canadiens practice facility in brossard?
How pumped would the ECHL guys be??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad