Trois-Rivières Lions 2023-24 Lions de Trois-Rivières

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm really surprised no one locally has stepped up. I know there was interest, but they eventually backed off.

I believe the Growlers are in trouble, as well. DSE owns them also.

DSE brought the Iowa Heartlanders to the ECHL, but a local buyer came in to buy the team and they're in good hands now.
No money to make with that team, the contract with the city is awful and the Canadiens doesn’t do anything to help them. It was a question of time before that was happening

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I'm really surprised no one locally has stepped up. I know there was interest, but they eventually backed off.

I believe the Growlers are in trouble, as well. DSE owns them also.

DSE brought the Iowa Heartlanders to the ECHL, but a local buyer came in to buy the team and they're in good hands now.
There is local interest, but not if the team comes with DSE debt and insane rent for the Colisée. Of course, if a group is interested, they will contact the ECHL directly, and we won't know until it's set. What le Nouvelliste reports is what DSE told to its employees.

No money to make with that team, the contract with the city is awful and the Canadiens doesn’t do anything to help them. It was a question of time before that was happening
That rent doesn't make sense, but I know the city would be ok with renegotiating it with a new owner.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Feels like there's a way to make it work, as long as it's marketed the right way and people's expectations are at the appropriate level. There are plenty of long running franchises in that league, some in even smaller markets. FWIW, they do seem to have gotten a lot of local players and coaches, which is the correct way to go. There's only so much the Habs can do as far as far as cross promotion is concerned, outside of downright owning the team and the facility.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Feels like there's a way to make it work, as long as it's marketed the right way and people's expectations are at the appropriate level. There are plenty of long running franchises in that league, some in even smaller markets. FWIW, they do seem to have gotten a lot of local players and coaches, which is the correct way to go. There's only so much the Habs can do as far as far as cross promotion is concerned, outside of downright owning the team and the facility.
There are also rumors that a local group would try to buy Q Acadie-Bathurst, to bring back junior in Trois-Rivières. If it's going this way, that could be a reason why they're not trying harder to save the team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
There are also rumors that a local group would try to buy Q Acadie-Bathurst, to bring back junior in Trois-Rivières. If it's going this way, that could be a reason why they're not trying harder to save the team.
Junior hockey isn't exactly a surefire money maker either FWIW, it has its own bag of potential problems. If people really think it's more appealing, they might as well try it I guess, but I wouldn't expect it to be automatically easier that's for sure.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Junior hockey isn't exactly a surefire money maker either FWIW, it has its own bag of potential problems. If people really think it's more appealing, they might as well try it I guess, but I wouldn't expect it to be automatically easier that's for sure.
Agree, personally, I think we should try to keep what we have. ECHL hockey is faster and more entertaining than what I expected at first.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The 3-year partnership 3R has with Habs expires this year, also. And Habs surely haven't extended the affiliation is because 3R is in trouble.

I also believe Mark Weightman leaving 3R to go back to the Als doesn't help. Because I'm sure he would have been able to help in coordinating something with local owners.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
This situation is a great example why hockey in Quebec is in the state it is in. Instead of paying millions to billionaire owners to bring exhibition games to Quebec City, that money should be used to help keep professional hockey in the province and providing a landing spot for local talent here at home

The exhibition games serve no purpose, and if they are to showcase the city for an NHL team, that should be a move for the potential ownership group not the government to entertain. Investing in 3R, a local based product should be the priority rather than watch them fold or relocate.

Even a potential ownership group for Quebec City should be all over this, showing the ability to own and operate a professional hockey team.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
''An ECHL expansion team costs about $475,000. Farhi has estimated that running the team will cost between $2.5 million and $3.5 million annually''

Two threads from 2012 about the cost of an ECHL team :

If we bring every member of this forum together, we could buy the team.

Reactions: GrandBison

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
This situation is a great example why hockey in Quebec is in the state it is in. Instead of paying millions to billionaire owners to bring exhibition games to Quebec City, that money should be used to help keep professional hockey in the province and providing a landing spot for local talent here at home

The exhibition games serve no purpose, and if they are to showcase the city for an NHL team, that should be a move for the potential ownership group not the government to entertain. Investing in 3R, a local based product should be the priority rather than watch them fold or relocate.

Even a potential ownership group for Quebec City should be all over this, showing the ability to own and operate a professional hockey team.
Well said, an interesting perspective you bring here.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Friedman spoke about 3R and Growlers last night on HNIC.

He said that operations could be suspended on Tuesday. Meaning that if this is solved over the summer, the teams could return next year.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Friedman spoke about 3R and Growlers last night on HNIC.

He said that operations could be suspended on Tuesday. Meaning that if this is solved over the summer, the teams could return next year.
In what bush league you suspend operations of teams in playoff position 15 days before the end of the season, just to let them back in the next year?

In Trois-Rivières, if they are out by April 2nd, it's over for the Lions and ECHL I think. No way they'll have people in the stand next year.

Reactions: Fenris

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They'd do well to try and find a venue much closer to the City center.
Longueuil might be an idea but I have no idea if they have the infrastructure to pull it off.
Honestly it looks like a losing proposition no matter what.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
They'd do well to try and find a venue much closer to the City center.
Longueuil might be an idea but I have no idea if they have the infrastructure to pull it off.
Honestly it looks like a losing proposition no matter what.
Why would an ECHL owner want to compete against the Rocket? The Lions are in bad shape cause they have a bad owner, not cause they are not viable in Trois-Rivières.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why would an ECHL owner want to compete against the Rocket? The Lions are in bad shape cause they have a bad owner, not cause they are not viable in Trois-Rivières.
You have to put the team close to a major populous.
They aren't competing against the Rocket.
You have schedule makers to ensure there are as few conflicts as possible.
The only other center with enough rabid hockey fans is Quebec City.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
You have to put the team close to a major populous.
They aren't competing against the Rocket.
You have schedule makers to ensure there are as few conflicts as possible.
The only other center with enough rabid hockey fans is Quebec City.
Trois-Rivières has a Frontier League professional baseball club that is solvable without any need help of Montreal market. I don't see why Trois-Rivières cannot compete with comparable or smaller Americans markets like Glenn Falls, Portland or Reading. And no way a Habs affiliate would work in Quebec City.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Trois-Rivières has a Frontier League professional baseball club that is solvable without any need help of Montreal market. I don't see why Trois-Rivières cannot compete with comparable or smaller Americans markets like Glenn Falls, Portland or Reading. And no way a Habs affiliate would work in Quebec City.
Good for them.
They still don't come close to the numbers a city populous can provide.
There are obviously serious issues there. Is it the spectacle the marketing the league itself.
Maybe ECHL just doesn't work in this province?

BTW did you know Trois-Rivieres used to be the home of the most prestigious Pee-Wee hockey tournament in Quebec?

That is kind of in Quebec City now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad