2023-24 Hart Memorial Trophy finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Connor McDavid | Winner: Nathan MacKinnon

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Matthews and Panarin having more first place votes than McDavid is an absolute joke. Voter fatigue is a real thing.
I wouldn't have put them above McDavid, but Panarin did lead the President's Trophy winning team in points by 43 over the next closest player. Depending on exactly how each voter defines 'value' I can understand why some may have had him first

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
No issue with Mackinnon winning either the Hart or Lindsay. But how the hell did he win both? This is as close as you can get in terms of competition.

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No you didn't, I speculated with the word 'might' due to your wild assertion that MacKinnon had a legit case for the Hart that year. Kucherov had just of a 'case' for the Hart that year, guess we could say he was robbed that year as well by the Canadian media.

Close doesn't mean weak. I called it weak based on his not winning in any major statistical category of points, assists, goals. I suppose you disagree, but I am not on an island with this opinion.

He was 4th in goals and 3rd in assists. Panarin was the only other guy top 5 in both and he was way back in assists.

Maybe being well rounded isn’t a bad thing?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
He was 4th in goals and 3rd in assists. Panarin was the only other guy top 5 in both and he was way back in assists.

Maybe being well rounded isn’t a bad thing?
Its not as impressive as leading in a category while being dominant and well rounded in the other categories as well. Ya know, like previous Hart winners have. All I said was is it was a weak Hart win. Being weak amongst Hart winners seems to be good company.

The last Hart winner not to lead in a major statistical category was 2018. Usually Hart winners lead in points, assists, or goals and they usually lead in more than one of those categories.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Its not as impressive as leading in a category while being dominant and well rounded in the other categories as well. Ya know, like previous Hart winners have. All I said was is it was a weak Hart win. Being weak amongst Hart winners seems to be good company.

The last Hart winner not to lead in a major statistical category was 2018. Usually Hart winners lead in points, assists, or goals and they usually lead in more than one of those categories.

Well, MacKinnon lead the league in non-empty net points if it makes you feel better.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Mackinnon did not deserve to win, the voters are a joke. Kucherov won the scoring title and played on the worse team, he was the MVP.

Imagine if Kucherov was a Canadian and Mackinnon was a Russian. Kucherov would have won in a land slide. But gotta give the Canadian the feel good award.
Kucherov won the scoring title and finished 2nd in assists, making history with that 100 assist season along with McDavid as well. It is going to be really hard to not justify that there was some voter bias looking back on this year no doubt.

Well, MacKinnon lead the league in non-empty net points if it makes you feel better.
Personally I feel indifferent. Didn't have a horse in this race. I really don't like Kucherov and I like that MacK is a cole harbor boy. I am just here for the discussion really.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I’m no expert, but he probably finished 1st in voting for both.
I just find it odd he won both the Hart and Lindsay in such a close year. I expected Kucherov to take the Hart and Mackinnon the Lindsay.

It would be like if Jagr or Thornton in 2005 won both trophies, and this race was even closer.

Reactions: geebster

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I just find it odd he won both the Hart and Lindsay in such a close year. I expected Kucherov to take the Hart and Mackinnon the Lindsay.

It would be like if Jagr or Thornton in 2005 won both trophies, and this race was even closer.
Why are you confused and how is it odd…? They’re voted on by two entirely different groups. Also, clearly there was some unanimity amongst both writers and players that MacK was the best, which means maybe it wasn’t as close as some fans imagined in the first place.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Fan with no skin in the game, but would have gone with Kucherov for the Hart. To me he had the most impressive season AND Hart is for the most valuable player to their team. Kucherov was so much further ahead in production to anyone else on his squad.

Its voted on by the media and Kucherov is often antagonistic to media and what he did at the All Star game didnt help and Mackinnon having not had one played a role too. I think a blind 3 way vote just on the merits it goes to Kucherov, but secondary factors like the 2 mentioned were why he didnt get it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I dunno about MacKinnon for the Hart.

Kucherov had 54 points more than Tampa's second leading scorer. The Lightning would have gone nowhere without him. I don't really care about the most valuable narrative in these awards and don't even think it should be a thing. However, it is a thing and it´s quite clear Tampa relied more heavily on Kucherov.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hahaha I knew this one would get people mad no matter if Mack or Kuch won
Honestly I kinda expected them to vote for the slightly higher point total but I'm glad the voters (and the players who voted him for the Lindsay) were able to look past the marginal difference in raw points and see that MacKinnon was just obviously the more impactful player

Reactions: TheStatican

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Honestly I kinda expected them to vote for the slightly higher point total but I'm glad the voters (and the players who voted him for the Lindsay) were able to look past the marginal difference in raw points and see that MacKinnon was just obviously the more impactful player
I myself felt that Mack was going to win because it was his time. All those years of always being so close but injuries hampering him. Glad he finally got some solid individual hardware.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I know the refalanche fans are use to being favored like their game 6 against the Stars

But lets face the facts, Kucherov >>> Mackinnon all day, every day. Somehow the guy who scored less points on a better team won the Hart. What a joke.
IMG_20240628_012337.jpg

"I really can't hear what Mirka the Turda says because I have the Hart and Lindsey plugging my ears"

-Nate the Ass Eating Dog MacKinnon, June 2024

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hahaha I knew this one would get people mad no matter if Mack or Kuch won
People get mad these days even if there is no reason for it, outrage culture is wild.

In this case there was a solid argument for MacKinnon and Kucherov so it's understandable there would be a debate no matter who won.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Mackinnon did not deserve to win, the voters are a joke. Kucherov won the scoring title and played on the worse team, he was the MVP.

Imagine if Kucherov was a Canadian and Mackinnon was a Russian. Kucherov would have won in a land slide. But gotta give the Canadian the feel good award.
Yeah, well, Mackinnon wasn't an a-hole at the All Star game. So Mac's the's the better human.

(sarcasm folks).

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I know the refalanche fans are use to being favored like their game 6 against the Stars

But lets face the facts, Kucherov >>> Mackinnon all day, every day. Somehow the guy who scored less points on a better team won the Hart. What a joke.
It was Kucherov who should won this Hart.

But you can't give your Hart to the Russian. Even if Kucherov was the only reason why Tampa was play off team, without any real support, in the time when Colorado had much better roster and more productive "support". +100 passes season, plus points leadership.

It's okay, it's not NM who played 3 finals in a row and won two. Even if he won in the third one. League should price their puppies even with by paper trophies and chocolate medals.

Pathetic? Yes. Its not the first time, its not the last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad