Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I am curious why everyone is down on Lindstrom as the 6-7 D

I like RD Lindstrom and was encouraged by his play on the bottom pairing without getting any assistance like LD Vaak did playing with RD Gudas. He's still youngish at 25 years old and would be a great depth player if Luneau is sent down to the AHL if he couldn't hack it in the NHL.

With RD Gudas on board, Luneau projected to be in the NHL, and Verbeek wanting a top-4RD, there really isn't room for Lindstrom.

Fowler - Luneau
Minty - FA/trade
Zell - Gudas

LaCombe, Vaak, and Lindstrom are all RFA's. We aren't keeping all three... well, we can. LaCombe is still waiver-except, but not Vaak and Lindstrom. LaCombe and Vaak have been part of the PK, but I don't recall Lindstrom playing PK often. Yet, he's quite responsible at ES play.

I'd like to keep Lindstrom because we don't have much talent developing at RD in the AHL that could jump into the NHL right now and not look too out of place. Lindstrom should be a good threshold to beat for the RD youths in the AHL or going into the AHL.

On a tangent, aren't RFA's supposed to be qualified by July 1st? We should be hearing something and that will tell us who we are not keeping.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If it's between Lindstrom and Holl, it's a no brainer which one we choose.

Lindstrom is more then component enough to be the #6 / #7, not sure why we would go out of our way to try and acquire more bottom pairing defencemen, it's not like we've been short of those for the last few years.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
According to CapFriendly, Lindstrom is arbitration eligible. I know Bob Murray hated arbitration-eligible players, but I don't know about PV and if he wants to risk an arbitrator's award.

Lindstrom has a decent year as a 3rd pairing dman. He made $950K in 2023-24. At what point does he become overpaid on his next contract ?

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
So, a hypothetical situation:

Draisaitl enters his final year of his contract. After that loss tonight, the Oilers will have to shake up their roster anyway, but especially if Draisaitl hints at not re-signing there.

With all the smoke around Zegras (which I hate to read time and again) and Edmonton desperately needing an actual goalie...

Would you do a Zegras + Gibson for Draisaitl (re-signed to 5y/11M) deal?

Not saying he would want to come here or anything, but I guess we are already in a better position for the next 5+ years than Edmonton, who will never be able to unload their dead contracts like Nurse and are in eternal cap hell. Plus, it is entirely possible McJesus will want out next year, when he enters his final contract year as well.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
We'd have to pay a team to take Gibson off our hands if we aren't retaining, I don't see how he has any value at this point. 6.4m for another 3 years for a goaltender who turns 31 in two weeks who hasn't managed to break 900 for two seasons, and 910 for five seasons.

I know the team has been bad, but Gibson has been bad more then he's been good in net during that period and I think Dostal easily outperforming him this season pretty much solidifies Gibson as having little value. Does anyone see a contending team seriously seeing Gibson as the answer to their problems? Maybe someone takes a punt if we retain 50% if we are lucky and hope he can find his level of performance from over half a decade ago.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Draisaitl enters his final year of his contract. After that loss tonight, the Oilers will have to shake up their roster anyway, but especially if Draisaitl hints at not re-signing there.

With all the smoke around Zegras (which I hate to read time and again) and Edmonton desperately needing an actual goalie...

Not saying he would want to come here or anything, but I guess we are already in a better position for the next 5+ years than Edmonton, who will never be able to unload their dead contracts like Nurse and are in eternal cap hell. Plus, it is entirely possible McJesus will want out next year, when he enters his final contract year as well.
Don't let the Oilers fans see this. :laugh:

Any trade around Draisaitl is probably a non-starter and would involve Zegras++.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Easy solution…. Did fine…. I’d prefer a bigger name…. But I’m fine with him…. Would rather not force someone else if there isn’t really an option.

I feel like holl is forcing something

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Gibson
Vaakanainen
31st Overall

for

Husso
15th Overall

No chance of this happening imo. If Verbeek isn’t retaining anything on Gibson, more salary is going to come back than that.

If we make a deal with Detroit, I’d expect Holl to be part of the deal. No, I don’t want him either.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
No chance of this happening imo. If Verbeek isn’t retaining anything on Gibson, more salary is going to come back than that.

If we make a deal with Detroit, I’d expect Holl to be part of the deal. No, I don’t want him either.
I think it depends how others view Gibson.

Dubois and his contract were traded and according to Elliotte Friedman had garnered interest from other teams as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at the defense in front of Gibson the last few years and gave him some grace because of that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Easy solution…. Did fine…. I’d prefer a bigger name…. But I’m fine with him…. Would rather not force someone else if there isn’t really an option.

I feel like holl is forcing something
To be clear, I meant “down” as “do not want”, rather than “totes ok with”.

I think he’s done at that level and don’t quite get why so many want nothing to do with him.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

I dont think EDM will change much, and they probably shouldnt. Maybe make some changes on D, but if Drai and others had some legit injuries then its not a roster makeup issue, its just a super long season health issue which you cant really do much about.

They were 1-2 goals away from being Champs. I dont see major shakeups coming unless they just cant make the money work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad