Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It’s less losing a Gibson suitor and more a team with a need filling it with someone who wasn’t really likely to be on anyone else’s radar. Supply went down by one today but demand went down two, if that makes sense.
I have to imagine Ullmark is the next goalie to go. Carolina would be my guess, maybe even around Necas.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Yeah, this pretty much guarantees that Gibson sticks around until the trade deadline in what... like 2026/2027?

Wow, don't know how I feel about the PLD trade... did they get a steal or huge contract albatross? I guess it doesn't matter because they have money and still want to pretenders until Ovi retires.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
There goes another Gibson suitor, though I would’ve been shocked if we ever sent him to LA.
I also don't think it would happen, but maybe there's a Gibson-Kuemper swap? Kings would get the better goalie, we would get the cheaper one to back up Dostal next year. Although it's not like we need the cap space.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Dang... Dellandrea for a 4rth rounder? Thats almost what we paid for Ben Meyers lol...

Dellandrea could have been a cheap gamble who can play center and is also a right shot. Pretty cheap bet...

Reactions: Daz28

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Dang... Dellandrea for a 4rth rounder? Thats almost what we paid for Ben Meyers lol...

Dellandrea could have been a cheap gamble who can play center and is also a right shot. Pretty cheap bet...
I’m very very confident in whatever trades/signings our gm makes this summer. Maybe just maybe. We actually bring in real talent to fill our roster top and bottom. Maybe a move like this one is just small potatoes for us.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I also don't think it would happen, but maybe there's a Gibson-Kuemper swap? Kings would get the better goalie, we would get the cheaper one to back up Dostal next year. Although it's not like we need the cap space.
Is Gibson really the better goalie in that scenario? I don't know that I'd agree personally, they're pretty even over all, Kuemper's had higher highs and Gibson's had lower lows (barely) and both guys have spent a pretty considerable amount of time on terrible teams so it's not like Kuemper had the advantage of being on better teams his whole career which is usually the go to excuse for Gibson having worse numbers than whoever he's being compared too.

Personally if I was the Kings I'd just go with the cheaper option in Kuemper

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Is Gibson really the better goalie in that scenario? I don't know that I'd agree personally, they're pretty even over all, Kuemper's had higher highs and Gibson's had lower lows (barely) and both guys have spent a pretty considerable amount of time on terrible teams so it's not like Kuemper had the advantage of being on better teams his whole career which is usually the go to excuse for Gibson having worse numbers than whoever he's being compared too.

Personally if I was the Kings I'd just go with the cheaper option in Kuemper
I don't think it's a wide gap and like I said, I don't think it happens.

The bigger factor to me is that Kuemper is already 34 and will be 37 when the contract ends.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Crazy the kings got out of that contract

Granted i do feel like PLD is okay player just way over paid

Reactions: Kalv

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think it's a wide gap and like I said, I don't think it happens.

The bigger factor to me is that Kuemper is already 34 and will be 37 when the contract ends.
that's fair I didn't actually realize Kuemper was so much older than Gibson I guess because they both broke into the league around the same time.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
that's fair I didn't actually realize Kuemper was so much older than Gibson I guess because they both broke into the league around the same time.
I don't know much about Kuemper but I do know Gibson is kind of a head case so maybe he'll age better than Gibby?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Another piece of fallout from that Dubois trade is now the Kings will likely be in the market for a scoring forward. Based on their current roster, they will most likely prioritize a righty (Lafferiere is the only righty they have under contract), which means they will be after some of the same players as us.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wonder if Verbeek and the Kings would have considered PLD for Gibson.... I'm not sure if Verbeek would have taken that chance but PLD would giveb him the size/skill that he likes. We could have had an interesting Cutter-PLD-Zegras line to go with the Vatrano-Mac-Strome and Killorn-Leo-Terry lines. That would have been nice scoring depth but pretty risky too... but I would appreciate the balsy move.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Crazy the kings got out of that contract

Granted i do feel like PLD is okay player just way over paid
Hes a very good player. But lazy... thats not a good combo for the nhl

Another piece of fallout from that Dubois trade is now the Kings will likely be in the market for a scoring forward. Based on their current roster, they will most likely prioritize a righty (Lafferiere is the only righty they have under contract), which means they will be after some of the same players as us.
They might make a pitch to Stamkos... Makes sense

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They will be asking bout zegras

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
trading Zegras does nothing but further set back the team. is the franchise really only interested in being a shit team to just keep loading up on picks just to trade them away for more picks/prospects? guess being bad forever helps keep cost down...

A Zegras trade to me shows this franchise has zero interest in ever being a competitive team.
Well, Zegras for McDavid would not hold us back, for example :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad