Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I'd happily take a chance on Laine.

If he's healthy, the guy is still a 30-goal-scorer and if he isn't healthy, we can bury his contract on LTIR. And I want to see him work with Teemu lol
That was five seasons ago (I'm giving him credit for 30 goals in the COVID season). I know he's still relatively young, but that "if" is doing a lot of work.

And burying his contract on LTIR isn't the issue; the Ducks will have cap space the next two years. It's that it will set back the progress the team is looking to make. Picking up Laine means we didn't pick up someone who will actually help us.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Never heard of this place but it was posted on Reddit:

I'd do this trade in a hearbeat.
Damaged goods in exchange for apathetic goods. Honestly kinda neutral on the proposal.

What are people expecting out of a Gibson trade anyway? I don't think I've really thought of how much Gibby would be worth nowadays, just because I'm not convinced there's not a market for him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Damaged goods in exchange for apathetic goods. Honestly kinda neutral on the proposal.

What are people expecting out of a Gibson trade anyway? I don't think I've really thought of how much Gibby would be worth nowadays, just because I'm not convinced there's not a market for him.
if we're retaining then I think we get something like a 2nd round pick at most. if we're not retaining then we're going to be adding to move his contract. I think the people who think we can get a positive value like NJ's 1st round pick are out to lunch.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
if we're retaining then I think we get something like a 2nd round pick at most. if we're not retaining then we're going to be adding to move his contract. I think the people who think we can get a positive value like NJ's 1st round pick are out to lunch.
We'll see who still needs a goalie after Markstrom and Ullmark are traded (if they are traded). Saros looks like he'll be resigning in Nashville. Supply and demand may take over at that point for any teams still needing a goalie.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Off the top of my head I think the dollars are real close to a wash without any retention on either side. I don’t particularly want Laine but I’d be happy to move Gibson so maybe I could live with it.

Reactions: 70sSanO

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Off the top of my head I think the dollars are real close to a wash without any retention on either side. I don’t particularly want Laine but I’d be happy to move Gibson so maybe I could live with it.
Laine makes $2.3 million more per year but has two years left instead of three. But you'd also have to factor in another $1-2 million for a backup goalie.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Those imaginary “on-pace-for” goals don’t win games though. He hasn’t actually provided 30 goals for a team in the last 6 seasons. Talent level is meaningless in the press box.
Yes, which is exactly why my original comment was that if he's healthy, he's a 30-goal-scorer, and if he's unhealthy, he's buried on LTIR.

Hell, if he played 50 games last year he would be the second highest scorer on our team.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The good news is that the most common Leo Carlsson comparisons ahead of the draft last year were to Barkov/Sundin/Kopitar. Dare to dream...

I could see Leo being in the same boat as Barkov, offensively, not sure about defensively. Barkov is shutting down all the big guns in the league, and won the Selke for a reason. But look at Barkov’s first couple of seasons production wise. Leo is already ahead of him, and they were both on pretty bad teams in their rookie years.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I could see Leo being in the same boat as Barkov, offensively, not sure about defensively. Barkov is shutting down all the big guns in the league, and won the Selke for a reason. But look at Barkov’s first few seasons production wise. Leo is already ahead of him, and they were both on pretty bad teams in their rookie years.
Barkov wasn't Barkov at 19 and hopefully Carlsson will take the same developmental route.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Laine makes $2.3 million more per year but has two years left instead of three. But you'd also have to factor in another $1-2 million for a backup goalie.

If that's your math, then don't you also need to factor in the savings of the forward whose place Laine is taking?

This would be a good trade for the ducks. It is worth taking a flyer on Laine, particularly if Teemu can be a mentor.

Problem is I don't think Gibson is too happy in Columbus. For that reason, I doubt they want him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If that's your math, then don't you also need to factor in the savings of the forward whose place Laine is taking?

This would be a good trade for the ducks. It is worth taking a flyer on Laine, particularly if Teemu can be a mentor.

Problem is I don't think Gibson is too happy in Columbus. For that reason, I doubt they want him.
Yes on the forward spot.

No on Verbeek wanting anything to do with him (Selanne notwithstanding).

No, can't see Gibson being very happy in Columbus.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'll take the Gibson (with the hopefully improving team). Personally think we will be lucky to have him as we work towards a playoff berth.

Reactions: Kalv

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I could see Leo being in the same boat as Barkov, offensively, not sure about defensively. Barkov is shutting down all the big guns in the league, and won the Selke for a reason. But look at Barkov’s first couple of seasons production wise. Leo is already ahead of him, and they were both on pretty bad teams in their rookie years.
Barkov is basically a young kopitar

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'll take the Gibson (with the hopefully improving team). Personally think we will be lucky to have him as we work towards a playoff berth.
Really just depends on his trade value at this point and how much if any retention we’d need to pay
If he needs 50% retention or seen as a cap dump…. Sure keep him and hope he bounces back with the team around him improving

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The big reason I'd consider Gibson for Laine would be the extra year on the cap. If you think all the kids who's contacts will be up will get big raises, that extra year is huge. I think Carlsson, Minty, Zell, Gauthier, Zegras all need new contacts the summer Laine is up? And Mac next summer. Having the extra cap space might be useful, depending on Verbeek's plans.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad