Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What's the report that Laine wants out? Ice been following trade threads about him and I got the sense that he had improved his overall game in CBJ. My biggest concern with him would be his health.

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Agree no Laine please
Marchessault or Stamkos on 2 year high dollar deals. Sure…not like Samueli can’t afford it after Broadcom stock today.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
I admit Laine still intrigues me, if only to see what happens when you dump him on Zegras' line. Can't deny that the 2 years remaining on his contract is perfect and he'd probably be had for little. It's a gamble though, and not sure one we should take, but what if we strike out on Stamkos? March would be great but we can really only commit to someone for 2 years, and I doubt he's interested in that, even if we overpay. Toffoli? Eh.

Last edited:

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
If we're talking about guys that Verbeek doesn't like, Laine has to check all the boxes, right? A guy who brings nothing to the table besides his shot, is often out of the lineup, has been a malcontent on a couple of different teams, and would immediately be the highest paid player on the Ducks.

I don't particularly like Laine as a player because he's not really my type of player, but when he's healthy, he scores enough to be valuable to a team. I don't think he's $8.7 million per year valuable, but he'll put up points when he's in the lineup, probably. I just can't see him being a guy Verbeek pursues for a team where he's trying to instill a tougher mindset.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
If we're talking about guys that Verbeek doesn't like, Laine has to check all the boxes, right? A guy who brings nothing to the table besides his shot, is often out of the lineup, has been a malcontent on a couple of different teams, and would immediately be the highest paid player on the Ducks.

I don't particularly like Laine as a player because he's not really my type of player, but when he's healthy, he scores enough to be valuable to a team. I don't think he's $8.7 million per year valuable, but he'll put up points when he's in the lineup, probably. I just can't see him being a guy Verbeek pursues for a team where he's trying to instill a tougher mindset.
100%. If there is a shred of truth to the whole "PV wants to build the team that plays the way he would" then Laine would be one of the least likely players for him to acquire.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I'd happily take a chance on Laine.

If he's healthy, the guy is still a 30-goal-scorer and if he isn't healthy, we can bury his contract on LTIR. And I want to see him work with Teemu lol

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I'd happily take a chance on Laine.

If he's healthy, the guy is still a 30-goal-scorer and if he isn't healthy, we can bury his contract on LTIR. And I want to see him work with Teemu lol

Depends on the assets it takes to get him. His contract is fair but only has 2 more years and that really doesn’t fit our window. Also doesn’t take in to account the injury history, which I’m only concerned about if the Jackets want like a 1st + top prospect for him. If we can get away with something silly like Lacombe + 2nd + middling prospect then I think he may be worth the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
What caused Laine to miss most of last season? Concussion(s)? I forget and too Getzlaf to look it up.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I will never forgive Burke for tossing AndyMac aside for Doug f***ING Weight (who was also a slow ass sour puss who hated being in Anaheim).
Worse acquisition in Ducks history by a mile. f*** Doug Weight.
He was like watching a 60+ yearold play in the NHL. If they were lucky he scored one point per month.
Sucks it happened because Burke signed Burtuzzi because Selanne hadn't signed yet and signed Schneider cause Niedermayer hadn't signed yet since both were almost retiring.
Both those signings made Andy Mac a cap casualty when Selanne and Niedermayer returned.

They probably would have won more cups if he didn't make those panic signings that lead to moving McDonald, could have had nearly the same roster minus Penner.
Bobby/Getzlaf/Perry
Kunitz/Mac/Selanne
that top 6 group probably gets past Detroit in 09 and destroys the Penguins in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad