Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It's funny he frames it like that because it's entirely possible the Ducks would go on to be shafted if we made such a trade.

I didn't listen to the initial reports but i think he's translating these from a French radio hit in Montreal so there could be some stuff lost in translation.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Live look at Montreal fans/media making everything into a reason why Zegras isn't worth a good return:
so-close-reaching-out.gif

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Ah yes, as we all know, a GM demanding high value in exchange for one of his players is irrefutable proof that he thinks that player sucks. And I thought the trade boards here were bad...
It’s his framing that’s the issue. Trading Zegras for those players doesn’t mean he has no faith in Zegras, it means he has no faith in our future RD. Zegras is just the best chip for getting them.

Not saying I think that’s prudent, but that’s the reasonable take, not “Zegras sucks in Verbeek’s opinion”.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
It’s his framing that’s the issue. Trading Egras for those players doesn’t mean he has no faith in Zegras, it means he has no faith in our future RD. Zegras is just the best chip for getting them.

Not saying I think that’s prudent, but that’s the reasonable take, not “Zegras sucks in Verbeek’s opinion”.
I'm not even sure it means he has no faith in the RD, tbh, as long as Verbeek isn't the one initiating talks. There's a lot of daylight between "the return would have to improve our team, this is what you have that could accomplish it" and "I have no faith in the assets we have already". If he's not the one approaching other teams, that leans more towards the former IMO.
In any case, the framing is definitely the issue. The idea that a GM wanting a high price when approached about a player means he disfavors that player is some next level... something.

Also there seems to be some contention over whether that price for Zegras is even from Verbeek.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I'm not even sure it means he has no faith in the RD, tbh, as long as Verbeek isn't the one initiating talks. There's a lot of daylight between "the return would have to improve our team, this is what you have that could accomplish it" and "I have no faith in the assets we have already". If he's not the one approaching other teams, that leans more towards the former IMO.
In any case, the framing is definitely the issue. The idea that a GM wanting a high price when approached about a player means he disfavors that player is some next level... something.

Also there seems to be some contention over whether that price for Zegras is even from Verbeek.
When you make Sicard look good you done f***ed up.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Trading Zegras does not mean he is bad(or unliked), more likely they dont have a position for him. Years ago the Ducks traded Palmieri because he was behind Perry and Silf in the depth chart. Palmieri was a great player, but was going to be on the third line. Unless they think McTAvish is going to be a third line center then Zegras may not have a spot. They just have to get a good return, not picks.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Trading Zegras does not mean he is bad(or unliked), more likely they dont have a position for him. Years ago the Ducks traded Palmieri because he was behind Perry and Silf in the depth chart. Palmieri was a great player, but was going to be on the third line. Unless they think McTAvish is going to be a third line center then Zegras may not have a spot. They just have to get a good return, not picks.
And it was a mistake.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Keep in mind that GMBM said before the playoffs that players who didn’t show up in the playoffs, again, would be moved. Palmieri responded with 4 points in 16 games.

A parallel could be them telling Zegras that freewheeling play is absolutely ok, but selfish penalties and turnovers are not.

Im not saying it’s wise, but Palmieri wasn’t dumped “just because”. He was dumped because they felt a need for an upgrade to get to a Cup and were tired of waiting.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Keep in mind that GMBM said before the playoffs that players who didn’t show up in the playoffs, again, would be moved. Palmieri responded with 4 points in 16 games.

A parallel could be them telling Zegras that freewheeling play is absolutely ok, but selfish penalties and turnovers are not.

Im not saying it’s wise, but Palmieri wasn’t dumped “just because”. He was dumped because they felt a need for an upgrade to get to a Cup and were tired of waiting.
Even given that context, it still wasn't a good move at the time. Especially when you consider the return we got in the trade. Compound that with what the return amounted to in hindsight - just yikes.

Giving up on good young players is rarely a recipe for success, regardless of the rationale.

Reactions: Fairwinds

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Even given that context, it still wasn't a good move at the time. Especially when you consider the return we got in the trade. Compound that with what the return amounted to in hindsight - just yikes.

Giving up on good young players is rarely a recipe for success, regardless of the rationale.
He was an 23 year old often injured 14 goal 30-ish point streaky player who disappeared in the playoffs. 1 year away from being in his last year of team control, would have been arbitration eligible. How much do you think those players are worth?

Again, people freak about the trade because he had his career year in the next (contract) season, but his numbers really aren’t that stellar as a whole. not bad, but certainly not franchise changing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He was an 23 year old often injured 14 goal 30-ish point streaky player who disappeared in the playoffs. 1 year away from being in his last year of team control, would have been arbitration eligible. How much do you think those players are worth?

Again, people freak about the trade because he had his career year in the next (contract) season, but his numbers really aren’t that stellar as a whole. not bad, but certainly not franchise changing.
Not to mention couldn’t play left wing and couldn’t climb higher than 3rd on the RW depth chart. In hindsight I’m of the mind that they should’ve traded him a year earlier but the other thing I’ve noticed in hindsight is how easily replaceable he was. Middle six scoring wingers maybe aren’t quite a dime a dozen but they’re hardly rare.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say he disappeared in the playoffs. How many 23 year old forwards getting 13 minutes a night make a big impact in the playoffs? And that was just his last year with the team. Before that, he was averaging 10 minutes a night as a 19, 20, and 21 year old. What were you expecting? Corey Perry from 2007?

I think you're somewhat right about people freaking out about the years he had just after getting traded, but I don't think it's unwarranted because those were the final years we were truly competitive. He may not have altered the franchise, but he certainly would've boosted our depth and that's always paramount in the playoffs. And certainly worth more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick, to us at least.

It's difficult to measure potential and whether or not it'll be realized, but I think plenty of people saw what could have been and weren't happy when it turned out they were essentially right.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think it's a bit disingenuous to say he disappeared in the playoffs. How many 23 year old forwards getting 13 minutes a night make a big impact in the playoffs? And that was just his last year with the team. Before that, he was averaging 10 minutes a night as a 19, 20, and 21 year old. What were you expecting? Corey Perry from 2007?

I think you're somewhat right about people freaking out about the years he had just after getting traded, but I don't think it's unwarranted because those were the final years we were truly competitive. He may not have altered the franchise, but he certainly would've boosted our depth and that's always paramount in the playoffs. And certainly worth more than a 2nd and 3rd round pick, to us at least.

It's difficult to measure potential and whether or not it'll be realized, but I think plenty of people saw what could have been and weren't happy when it turned out they were essentially right.

My recollection of those times correlate to the numbers. It wasn't just that he was a young player and not scoring in the playoffs. It was the way he was playing. For my memory, there was a consistent lack of the effort in all parts of the game, not just scoring. I remember the fan base being very frustrated and a trade was more expected than a surprise.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I am so curious who PB will target for the top 6. The best free agent options will either be challenging to compete for or just unavailable. The Ducks have plenty to trade in prospects and picks, but who is actually available that fits the mold of top 6 RW?

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I am so curious who PB will target for the top 6. The best free agent options will either be challenging to compete for or just unavailable. The Ducks have plenty to trade in prospects and picks, but who is actually available that fits the mold of top 6 RW?
Stamkos will be his #1 target

Oct 18, 2011
And it was a horrible trade considering Anaheim was in a championship window. Anaheim is just now starting to have a competent forward group

Oct 18, 2011

His indicators were pointing up when you took s deeper look, you basically painted the worst possible picture of him, also not the first player in his early 20s to have playoff struggles

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad