Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
IIRC, the main issue with KP was the Ducks didn’t want to pay him what he wanted to be paid as an RFA.
yes, too much for a third line RW. We are going to be in the same boat with a few players in the next couple years. We have a ton of depth on Defense and there is not enough spots, especially if we draft a D this year. So we will be talking about some trade of some young player years from now that played well for some other team. Lets just hope we get a good return.

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
IIRC, the main issue with KP was the Ducks didn’t want to pay him what he wanted to be paid as an RFA.
I seem to remember it being referred to as a catch 22 situation. We really didn't have the top 6 or PP time available to help him flourish, but if he managed to produce anyway, we wouldn't be able to afford to sign him.

Reactions: Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Even though he played with some grit, GMBM didn’t like his lack of size you can be assured.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The worst part about the KP situation in hindsight was not the original trade but the trade that sent the pick they got for him (41OA) to the NYR for Hagelin and 59OA. All the good players were gone by 57OA but there were some great players taken between 41 and 59. Hintz was one of them.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The worst part about the KP situation in hindsight was not the original trade but the trade that sent the pick they got for him (41OA) to the NYR for Hagelin and 59OA. All the good players were gone by 57OA but there were some great players taken between 41 and 59. Hintz was one of them.
and Hagelin ended up being a completely useless player on the Ducks and then to get out of the 4 year deal to Hagelin they moved him for a rental of Perron who was a expiring contract.
All Hagelin could really do in Anaheim is skate around fast in circles.

Doug Weight and Carl Hagelin were my least favorite forward acquisitions in the Getzlaf era. Absolutely frustrating to watch them.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
and Hagelin ended up being a completely useless player on the Ducks and then to get out of the 4 year deal to Hagelin they moved him for a rental of Perron who was a expiring contract.

Doug Weight and Carl Hagelin were my least favorite forward acquisitions in the Getzlaf era. Absolutely frustrating to watch them.

Those two were certainly egregious, but no one beats Devin F***ing Shore. It's true that most of my disdain comes from the fact that we traded Real Anaheim Warrior and Hero Andrew Cogliano for him, but still, Shore was absolutely useless.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Bergey37

May 19, 2019

As I recall Hagelin played pretty well for NYR in the POs that year, and had some hope when we got him. Alas, it was clear after the first few games with Anaheim that he had zero interest in being here. I recall BM saying in an interview that the trade just popped up at the draft, and he did it. That's what happens when you don't do your due diigence.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Gibson+ for Devil's 10OA

I was playing with Puckpedia's draft pick and cap space valuation calculator.

Cap RetentionPick ValueValue
Max retention (3.2M x 3 years = 9.6M)1st (26)
17.78​
Oiler's Pick1st (31)
10.87​
Verbeek's 1st round value of Gibson1st (32)
10.38​
39.03​

The Devil's pick is valued at 34.22. That would mean Gibby's value if accepted would be a 2nd round pick (47th).

I think this would be a great offer for both teams and players. Devil's get a starting goalie for 3.2M a year for three seasons and still have a 1st round pick. Ducks would save a bit of money depending on Dostal's new contract and who we sign as the backup. Gibby gets to play meaningful games and Dostal gets more games to develop.

I'm sure the Devils prefer Saros but the Predators are still a playoff contending team so they sound like they will lock him up. Gibby would be cheaper with less term than the other available UFA goalies. I'm not sure why Markstrom gets more love on the trade boards... he is 3+ years older and didn't put up amazing numbers... Markstrom was an all star in 2020 but Gibby was an all star in 2016, 2019, and more recently 2022.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal

I will never forgive Burke for tossing AndyMac aside for Doug f***ING Weight (who was also a slow ass sour puss who hated being in Anaheim).
Worse acquisition in Ducks history by a mile. f*** Doug Weight.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
so Laine wants out. what are people's thoughts on him? seems like the exact type of player we could use, but is he still capable of being that player is the question.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
so Laine wants out. what are people's thoughts on him? seems like the exact type of player we could use, but is he still capable of being that player is the question.
He’s a right-shot scoring forward, which we do need, but he’s another guy who needs to be heavily sheltered, and we already have a bunch of those guys. That combined with his very high cap hit and his recent problems make him too risky at the moment. I don’t think we’re the right team for him. I could see Carolina taking a chance on him.

Reactions: dracom

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Last part of the sentence is what concerns me the most. Mental issues are no joke - if he's not in a good head space we're getting damaged goods.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I wouldn’t take him for free. And I would find it hilarious if Z is moved because he isn’t a “PV player” and they Laine gets brought in lol.

Edit: actually I take it back. I thought his contract was longer. At 2 years I would take him for free or give up very little for him. No way would I move anything we would really miss though.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Good Grief. Laine and Dubois were picked two and three in 2016 (after Mathews). A couple of head cases, and just goes to show that even picking that high players are suspect. A word of warning for our number 3 pick this year.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Good Grief. Laine and Dubois were picked two and three in 2016 (after Mathews). A couple of head cases, and just goes to show that even picking that high players are suspect. A word of warning for our number 3 pick this year.
And wasn't #4 that year Puljujarvi (sp)?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

The best thing for Hagelin was leaving. Those two cups he earned were worth it.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad