B-Sens 2023-24 Belleville Senators

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
IMO it was an easy decision to keep him - should have exposed the Hog.

His pedigree and his puck handling showed big upside. He was my darkhorse many years ago, and I think he will be a legit NHL starter.
Not sure I agree about 'pedigree' with Daccord.

He had a great season but as an independent Arizona's schedule wasn't that tough that year. Also, the college ice is a huge factor with goalie prospects and you've got to put up Spencer Knight, Jake Oettinger or Devin Levi type numbers to come out of college with 'pedigree.' And college in general the schedules are about as 'cushy' as it gets. All that to say I think its hard to earn pedigree through the college route.

I only pick it apart because I put a ton of stock into goaltending pedigree. It's a measurement I use a lot to project a goalie, albeit a subjective one. Dustin Wolf, for example, is a current up and coming goalie with high pedigree that I would lock into a future starting position based on almost his pedigree alone. For college goalies to come out with pedigree they need to be lights out in my opinion.

All that said I liked him as much as the next guy but I had my blinders on. I watch him now (love watching Seattle) and I do not see a good NHL starter.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Is Fizer back from injury? And is there any way to stream some Belleville games for free? I want to see Fizer in action.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not sure I agree about 'pedigree' with Daccord.

He had a great season but as an independent Arizona's schedule wasn't that tough that year. Also, the college ice is a huge factor with goalie prospects and you've got to put up Spencer Knight, Jake Oettinger or Devin Levi type numbers to come out of college with 'pedigree.' And college in general the schedules are about as 'cushy' as it gets. All that to say I think its hard to earn pedigree through the college route.

I only pick it apart because I put a ton of stock into goaltending pedigree. It's a measurement I use a lot to project a goalie, albeit a subjective one. Dustin Wolf, for example, is a current up and coming goalie with high pedigree that I would lock into a future starting position based on almost his pedigree alone. For college goalies to come out with pedigree they need to be lights out in my opinion.

All that said I liked him as much as the next guy but I had my blinders on. I watch him now (love watching Seattle) and I do not see a good NHL starter.
By pedigree I meant his family background and how he grew up.

His dad was a pro goalie and a pro coach with the Bruins, some Div1 schools and ran a goalie school. Joey was around all of that so had high level training all the time, not to mention just being around pro goalies and learning from them.

His skill, along with what I mentioned above, gave him a leg up IMO so I was hoping we could keep him.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Roster Notes:

The Ottawa Senators made two recalls from Belleville before heading to Sweden for the NHL Global Series, where they’ll play a pair of games against the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild. Defenceman Jacob Larsson, a native of Sweden, was recalled for support on the blue line, while goaltender Mads Sogaard also made the trip overseas, being recalled under the NHL’s “Third Goaltender Exempt Status” for games being played internationally. With Sogaard gone to the NHL, Kevin Mandolese has been reassigned from Allen (ECHL) to Belleville. The Sens will be without Tarun Fizer, Tyler Boucher, Philippe Daoust, Brennan Saulnier and Donovan Sebrango, who are all out injured. Full lineup details will be available before puck drop.

Who to Watch:

Belleville defenceman Max Guenette had an impressive week last week, recording four more points (one goal, three assists) and moving into the Sens team lead in scoring. There are no Senators on significant point streaks, but Egor Sokolov and Angus Crookshank, each had a goal and an assist in Belleville’s overtime win against Cleveland last Sunday. Should he play tonight, Goaltender Leevi Merilainen will also be a source of focus, as he brings the AHL’s second-best save percentage (.941) and eighth-best goals against average (1.92) into tonight’s game.

For Laval, Xavier Simoneau is riding a four-game point streak (two goals, three assists) heading into tonight’s contest. The 22-year-old is among the Rocket’s top scorers. Meanwhile, rookie forward Joshua Roy has had a sensational start to his AHL career, putting up 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) in 12 games and sitting tied for third in the AHL’s overall scoring race.

Follow the action:

Today’s game can be seen on AHL TV and heard on the Belleville Sens Entertainment Network.

Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
How has ostapchuk been performing? Points aside, has anyone been able to watch his game closely enough?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How has ostapchuk been performing? Points aside, has anyone been able to watch his game closely enough?

He's been fine, not struggling but far from a standout. He has been playing centre but I think he would be better suited as a winger. I like the work he does on the PK.

Reactions: DrEasy

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Definitely missing the D men that Ottawa called up, lots of odd man rushes given up due to bad reads and pinches. Laval capitalized on most.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
BSens take a 4-0 lead , Lose 6-4
1700103489168.png

• Wow
Reactions: Icelevel and OD99

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
By pedigree I meant his family background and how he grew up.

His dad was a pro goalie and a pro coach with the Bruins, some Div1 schools and ran a goalie school. Joey was around all of that so had high level training all the time, not to mention just being around pro goalies and learning from them.

His skill, along with what I mentioned above, gave him a leg up IMO so I was hoping we could keep him.
Ahh, my bad. Makes sense.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You wonder what will happen to Mandolese as the season wears on, and especially next summer. He would appear to be the odd man out but you never know - as we saw last year, goaltending depth gets tested in organizations out of nowhere sometimes. I was surprised when they qualified him last June, as I thought for sure they were going to let him walk.

In former B-Sens goalie news, I see that Dylan Ferguson is playing in the KHL. I have an issue with that, but it must be awfully tempting for guys to rationalize it when a KHL team is offering you 500K to play there as opposed to making 70K in the AHL...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You wonder what will happen to Mandolese as the season wears on, and especially next summer. He would appear to be the odd man out but you never know - as we saw last year, goaltending depth gets tested in organizations out of nowhere sometimes. I was surprised when they qualified him last June, as I thought for sure they were going to let him walk.

In former B-Sens goalie news, I see that Dylan Ferguson is playing in the KHL. I have an issue with that, but it must be awfully tempting for guys to rationalize it when a KHL team is offering you 500K to play there as opposed to making 70K in the AHL...
Why do you have an issue with Ferguson playing in the KHL, is he playing for the Russian government ?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Roster Notes:

There are no anticipated changes to the Senators’ roster, with the NHL club still in Sweden with one more game to play in the NHL Global Series. Defenceman Jacob Larsson, goaltender Mads Sogaard and forward Matthew Highmore are all among the group of Belleville players up with the big club, while there’s been no change to the injured list either. Tarun Fizer, Tyler Boucher, Philippe Daoust, Brennan Saulnier and Donovan Sebrango are all still out, with line pairings and full lineup info to be released ahead of puck drop.

Who to Watch:

Power Forward Boko Imama scored his first goal as a Senator on Wednesday night, playing just outside of his hometown of Montreal. With a handful of Belleville’s veteran players either recalled to Ottawa or hurt, the 27-year-old is looking to make his mark and seize the opportunity, dressing in his fifth consecutive game tonight. In terms of ongoing point streaks, both Angus Crookshank (two goals, one assist) and Max Guenette (three assists) have points in back-to-back games, while Matthew Boucher recorded his first two points of the season, with a pair of assists on Wednesday.

Given their current run of losses, there aren’t any Moose players on notable point streaks. Their key players include 2022 first-round draft pick (30th overall) Brad Lambert, who had 10 points (five goals, five assists) over a seven-game point streak to start the season. The Moose roster also boasts another first-round pick in Chaz Lucius (Winnipeg’s 18th overall in 2021), along with a handful of other high-round draft picks.

Follow the action:

Today’s game can be seen on AHL TV and heard on the Belleville Sens Entertainment Network

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why do you have an issue with Ferguson playing in the KHL, is he playing for the Russian government ?
Essentially he is. The KHL is owned by Putin's cronies and is loaded with corruption. The money that finances the KHL also finances Putin's war on Ukraine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad