Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This is funny to me. What kind of free agents are you expecting to sign as the absolute worse team in the league? The fact that he got a free agent the caliber of Toffoli, arguably the biggest free agent signing in franchise history, is a miracle at this stage in the rebuild.
I dunno, maybe youre right. Maybe no one wanted to come so there was nothing Grier could do. I dunno. Its just annoying...

Reactions: Tw1ster

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
1) Walman - head and shoulders above the rest. I think sometimes provides to much space defending rushes allowing free shots and passes.
2) Thompson - two games and both good.
3) Ceci - Started the season strong but has dropped in quality the last 3 or so games not offering much in tying up net front players or disrupting passing lanes. Better than I expected though overall.
4) Thrun - Was awful with Benning, but I like what I've seen with Thompson. Definitely has a lot of room for improvement though.
5) Ferraro - He is as expected. High energy and all effort. Problem is that means he is chasing the puck out of position, getting puck focused and not paying attention to his surroundings. Have also noticed him joining the rush and getting in the way to forwards.
6) Rutta - A slower version of Ferraro. Chasing the puck, including up to the blue line.
7) Benning - Has been extremely poor this season (by his standards too!). Obviously coming back from injury, he is even slower than usual and whilst he can move the puck he is making horrific decisions.
Yeah, I'll admit Thrun has had some issues this year in some ways where we'd have hoped he'd be improved since last year, but the fact that he's been better these last two games with Thompson makes me think Benning was causing him extra problems and making him look worse.

I also have thought since the start that Ferraro and Rutta is a terrible combination, so while it would be a risk to some extent to break up Ceci and Walman, it might be for the best.

Or, you know, kick Rutta out once Mukhamadullin is ready and have him in there with Ferraro on the right side. Not ideal but I see no point of playing Rutta or Benning except occasionally over Mukhamadullin, Thrun, or Thompson. Not only are the younger guys just as good (probably better), but there's at least a chance they're going to have some role to play with this team for several years to come. Rutta and Benning are only here temporarily and for all their veteran guile, they're actively making things harder for others out there.

Reactions: hohosaregood

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Personally, I have ero faith in GMMG when it comes to buulding this team and signing UFAs.

This offseason, he signed toffoli, which was a great signing, but hen threw 10's of million to Wennberg, Kunin, Grundstrom, Dyllandrea, Goodrow etc. This was after several millions to lindbom, sturm, benning, and several others.

I dont know if Grier was trying to lose this year (or last year) and thats why he purposely gave garbage 10s of millions of dollars. However, if he was actually trying to win, he has so spectacularly failed to sign well, that its almost laughable. I HATED the wennberg signing (look back through all the old posts), and its turned out as expected.

Grier has drafted well (I think, though of course until they play in the NHL all the love of musty, cherny, dick etc remains TBD)., and his trades for walman and ceci were solid. Askarov is obviously very promising too. But, to build a winner, you have to add actual talent in the UFA market. I have ZERO trust in grier to do it. I also have Zero trust in his development and medical staff. How many more pointless 2 penalty games does Smith need to have to realize that he was better served starting the AHL?

obviously the celly bad luck hurts, but If grier had spent the 25M this summer on respectable players (10M unspent and approx 15M on Goodie+kunin+wennberg+grund+dyll), we would be a solid team. nearly every game is close. We are 2 or 3 more toffoli-like players from being 4-2-1 instead of 0-5-2. If grier had half a brain and a modicum of skill in idetifying talent, he could have gotten them.

Needless to say, im really pissed, and really disappointed.

My bets arent lookin' too good :-(

p.s.: all this talk of getting a good UFA D is pointless with grier at the helm. He will throw millions to other team's #6/7 guys and more 4th line grinders. What a crap GM when it comes to adding free agent talent...
He intentionally signed players that he could sign to short contracts. No sense in signing big UFAs when you barely have a NHL roster. Despite the Sharks having a top farm system, they are all still prospects.

Grier didn't want to load up on long term cap hits becuase the core isn't even signed through 2027-2028. The Sharks have two contracts on the books for 2027-2028 Toffoli and Hertl's retention.

Teams are built through the draft and the Sharks still need lots of top picks to get to a point where they can fill out the roster. Some of the highly touted prospects aren't going to pan out or even worse some might end up as uninspiring one diminesional players that tease promise and garner second contracts, but under deliver and do not develop further.

The Sharks are going to be bad for the next few years. Celebrini increases the chances of a successful rebuild, but he's still only one guiy. Sharks need someone like Martone or Schaefer in 2025 along with high picks in 2026 and 2027. 2027-2028 is where the Sharks should be ready to be a playoff team that could win a round or two.

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
My bets arent lookin' too good :-(
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad