Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Can't be that hard to find someone better than Thrun and Benning.
neither of them are that bad. Eh actually Benning I don’t know maybe. Thrun has shown potential but Benning has been terrible to start the year. The injury definitely affected him. I’d waive him for Shakir when he’s healthy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
neither of them are that bad. Eh actually Benning I don’t know maybe. Thrun has shown potential but Benning has been terrible to start the year. The injury definitely affected him. I’d waive him for Shakir when he’s healthy.
Benning is that bad. But I don't want to give up on Thrun before seeing him on a half-way decent team with a half-way decent partner.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Thrun looked pretty good in the first couple of games and had two pretty rough ones but yeah, I’d love to see him with Muhk or like, anyone other than Benning.

It’s really annoying that both years injuries to key guys stopped us from seeing what the full lineup might be like. I really hope we get Shakir and Celebrini (and Eklund obviously) back soon, it would make a world of difference.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Thrun looked pretty good in the first couple of games and had two pretty rough ones but yeah, I’d love to see him with Muhk or like, anyone other than Benning.

It’s really annoying that both years injuries to key guys stopped us from seeing what the full lineup might be like. I really hope we get Shakir and Celebrini (and Eklund obviously) back soon, it would make a world of difference.
Thrun has certainly been struggling, which is frustrating, but you also see the glimmers of potential there: some good skating, the kind of tape-to-tape passes you see so rarely from other Sharks D, the pleasantly surprising offensive instincts on occasion when he's on the PP.

Benning's mobility has looked frustratingly poor (he is coming off of hip surgery) and I think Thrun has felt the urge to try to do too much, which leads to him ending up out of position and getting burned. He's got to improve his own reads, but at the same time it has to be challenging for him to play with Benning right now.

One thing about Warsofsky so far--with the caveat that he doesn't have a lot to work with--is that I'm not convinced by the way he's gone about putting some of his lines and D pairs together. For instance, Ferraro and Rutta together means you're going to have a horrible time ever exiting the zone cleanly. Splitting up Ceci and Walman would be tough to do but it might at least allow the maximization of the limited skills that this group of defensemen do possess.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Last season, Thrun struggled to make plays with little time and space. His physical tools are unremarkable, and he doesn't have great vision.

I'd hoped to see some progression and improvement on this areas, but so far there's been nothing. I still think Thrun could carve out a career as a bottom-pairing guy, but he needs to improve considerably or make big changes to his game to go to the next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad