Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Well according to @Hodge, roster decisions are made when contracts are given out, so the entirety of the preseason is a waste of time and is meaningless w/r/t evaluation. In fact it's foolish to even consider evaluating a player in the preseason because rosters aren't balanced, as, according to him, preseason is about gauging ticket sales. Gushchin could have had 5G + 5A each game but it's irrelevant because Grier gave a contract to Grundstrum in July.

Bulletproof logic if you ask me.
While the trolling is entertaining, I have a hard time seeing Grundstrom getting waived given that Grier targeted him as the return for Burroughs (yes, I know he sucks ass) and then gave him a 2yr deal for almost 2M/year. I doubt G. Smith is going anywhere either despite him being a waste of a roster spot. I think if anyone goes for Gushchin, it'll be Kostin (or Granlund starts the year on IR).

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
While the trolling is entertaining, I have a hard time seeing Grundstrom getting waived given that Grier targeted him as the return for Burroughs (yes, I know he sucks ass) and then gave him a 2yr deal for almost 2M/year. I doubt G. Smith is going anywhere either despite him being a waste of a roster spot. I think if anyone goes for Gushchin, it'll be Kostin (or Granlund starts the year on IR).
haha hardly trolling, just repeating what they said. Although reading it again they didn't say "gauge" season ticket holders, it was "gouge" them. So preseason games actually exist to harm fans. Glad i cleared that up!

(agree about Grundstrum though, he was just a random name i threw in lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well according to @Hodge, roster decisions are made when contracts are given out, so the entirety of the preseason is a waste of time and is meaningless w/r/t evaluation. In fact it's foolish to even consider evaluating a player in the preseason because rosters aren't balanced, as, according to him, preseason is about gauging ticket sales. Gushchin could have had 5G + 5A each game but it's irrelevant because Grier gave a contract to Grundstrum in July.

Whether you agree with the logic behind it or not doesn't change the fact that 99% of roster decisions in a hard cap league are made in the summer when contracts are doled out.

If you don't believe me go look through the list of players on waivers today. How many NHL veterans on one-way contracts are being cut in favor of waiver-exempt prospects?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
haha hardly trolling, just repeating what they said. Although reading it again they didn't say "gauge" season ticket holders, it was "gouge" them. So preseason games actually exist to harm fans. Glad i cleared that up!

(agree about Grundstrum though, he was just a random name i threw in lol)
What would you call STHs being forced to pay regular season ticket prices for a substandard product other than gouging them?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Whether you agree with the logic behind it or not doesn't change the fact that 99% of roster decisions in a hard cap league are made in the summer when contracts are doled out.

If you don't believe me go look through the list of players on waivers today. How many NHL veterans on one-way contracts are being cut in favor of waiver-exempt prospects?

Well before it was 100%, now it's 99%. Glad to have that 1% be a Sharks prospect who has done everything asked of him over the course of a few seasons.

And to answer your question, Pierre Engvall is on waivers and Maxim Tsyplakov is on the roster.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Well, let's face it. Contract status is the #1 factor when it comes to roster decisions, if for no other reason than that GM's really don't like to admit that they gave out a contract to a guy who isn't good enough. It makes them look stupid if it happens too often. That plus if a GM trades something of value for someone or signs a guy in free agency, he's naturally going to have faith in that player regardless of his preseason performance. Otherwise, he never would have signed the guy to begin with. So you can pretty much take to the bank that guys like Walman, Ceci, Goodrow, Kunin, and Dellandrea are locks to be on the roster. I don't think I even need to mention Wennberg and Toffoli. A guy like Grundstrom, who was acquired in a deal for a player we might have waived ourselves might have been in a little more danger, but not after Grier made a two year commitment to him.

But if you're going to let contract status be the #1 thing, make sure your organization isn't preaching about having competition in camp and guys winning roles and then not back it up if someone clearly outplays someone else. It sends a bad message to the young guys who you're trying to tell that they need to be better on defense and without the puck on offense and then they see that guys that aren't as good get roster spots over guys that did put in the work and produced.

Last edited:

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
No one is saying the grundstrom or dyllandrea doesnt make the team. 11 or 12 spots are 100% fixed:

toffoli, celebrini, Lunds (3), dyllan, goodie, grundstrom, kostin, kunin, wennberg, Sturm.... thats 12 spots. the other two spots are the ones up for grabs. Will Smith, Gushkin, G Smith, and Cardwell are fighting for those spots.

Personally, Id rather see Gush fill a top 6 role (as I mentioned earlier), Will smith beginning with the cuda, Cardwell with Cuda too (he and smith can form a top line). Gush and G smith can make the team, but G smith can be a nightly scratch :)

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
No one is saying the grundstrom or dyllandrea doesnt make the team. 11 or 12 spots are 100% fixed:

toffoli, celebrini, Lunds (3), dyllan, goodie, grundstrom, kostin, kunin, wennberg, Sturm.... thats 12 spots. the other two spots are the ones up for grabs. Will Smith, Gushkin, G Smith, and Cardwell are fighting for those spots.

Personally, Id rather see Gush fill a top 6 role (as I mentioned earlier), Will smith beginning with the cuda, Cardwell with Cuda too (he and smith can form a top line). Gush and G smith can make the team, but G smith can be a nightly scratch :)
Dellandrea should absolutely be in the mix to get cut. He doesn't bring anything, but that is a different matter, and I haven't brought it up because, yeah he will be there for a while and I expect he will fade out even further by mid season.

That said W. Smith is on the team.
Here is the quote from Warsofsky:

"Both those guys [Thompson and Cagnoni] are in. Cardwell’s in. Gushchin’s back in. Kostin is in. All those guys that are fighting for not just spots here, but to play important [parts] on our team are playing tonight, I’d say."

Will Smith was not playing, so he is in. Seems pretty clear.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Some of you need to figure out how to look at context. The sky isn’t always falling! Yes sharks need to be roster compliant today but their first game isn’t until Thursday.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Some of you need to figure out how to look at context. The sky isn’t always falling! Yes sharks need to be roster compliant today but their first game isn’t until Thursday.
This is so true. It would benefit them to wait till Wednesday to put a guy like Kostin or G Smith on waivers after other teams have finalized their rosters. I’m sure we will hear news today that Gushchin and others are assigned to the Cuda camp but that still doesn’t prevent them from waiving players Wednesday or calling up injury replacements.

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think the league is ready for how good Macklin is going to be right off the bat. Whether it's due to Bedard fatigue or Team Canada underperforming at the WJC or whatever else, I feel like he's been one of the least hyped 1OAs in recent memory. Fans and media are not prepared for how NHL ready his game is, the fact he does some Jack Hughes-lite stuff carrying the puck and the way his one-timer from the right flank is going to make him one of the most lethal power play threats in the league immediately. Not to mention the kind of legit defensive IQ that's unheard of for an 18 year old rookie.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I don't think the league is ready for how good Macklin is going to be right off the bat. Whether it's due to Bedard fatigue or Team Canada underperforming at the WJC or whatever else, I feel like he's been one of the least hyped 1OAs in recent memory. Fans and media are not prepared for how NHL ready his game is, the fact he does some Jack Hughes-lite stuff carrying the puck and the way his one-timer from the right flank is going to make him one of the most lethal power play threats in the league immediately. Not to mention the kind of legit defensive IQ that's unheard of for an 18 year old rookie.
I agree with this sentiment. His two-way presence seems to be undervalued outside of this fan base.

I can also see Macklin starting out well when the season kicks off, but I think Smith will near him as the season progresses. Smith definitely takes a little longer to feel a game out but man, once he's on; he can not only raise his game to another level but the floor of his linemates.

This team is obviously still top-3 pick bound but losing games 7-5 will be much more exciting.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is like that scene in the Matt Daemon movie with the Wehrmacht soldier keeps on saying "f*** Hitler".:sarcasm:

That is to say, we haven't forgotten your disparagement towards Gushchin!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is like that scene in the Matt Daemon movie with the Wehrmacht soldier keeps on saying "f*** Hitler".:sarcasm:

That is to say, we haven't forgotten your disparagement towards Gushchin!
What disparagement? I said he should be on the opening night roster ahead of Kostin. I just don't think it matters very much either way.

We've got Mack and Will now, not to mention Askarov. Time to stop caring so much about lower rung prospects.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's 100% Bedard fatigue. There's still a honeymoon love affair with him going into season 2. NHL Radio spends a lot of time talking about what he's going to do for an encore (with some predicting 40/60/100)

Reactions: Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad