Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Is Josh Mahura worth a claim?
The answer to this is yes for other teams, no for us in my opinion. Naturally a LHD but can play both sides. Is good enough defensively but doesn’t offer really much offensively at all. I just don’t think he’s any better than what we have and isn’t really worth blocking the young guys.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Seems like a reasonable guess, with the only question being: does this team think they need Givani Smith more, or Gushchin more? I don't think they cut Kostin despite the inconsistency, but G. Smith may be seen as necessary sandpaper, or just another 4th line plug where Goose might have something on the second line.

If they want to move Gush for assets, I'd keep him in the lineup and see if he can score some points. But we'll see.

Edit: here's Sheng's take. FWIW I think because of waivers they are more likely to have Gush be the first call up with injuries, rather than cut G.Smith.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Matthew Robertson on waivers. Probably worth a claim to be our #7 over Thompson. Nobody else looks remotely interesting.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
I don’t know if Gushchin has an NHL future, but hard to imagine a better performance for a guy trying to make the team.
You still have to give him the opportunity and reward him for his hard work this preseason. All the talk going into camp was open competition you gotta earn your spot. Guschin has obviously earned it, even the Ducks/Vegas/Sharks broadcast were praising him and already claiming he has earned his spot. This just sends a bad message in my opinion. It's just preseason but the vibes were so high after that win last night and this just kills all of the good vibes from yesterday

Unless Granlund or Celebrini are not good to go.
This could be the case considering Granlund has not played in the last couple pre season games

Reactions: timorous me

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m not a big fan of Givani but I get it. If someone takes liberties with Macklin or Will, I want Givani here, to take care of that and hopefully curb it.
This isn’t about who the better player is. That’s hockey.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I’m not a big fan of Givani but I get it. If someone takes liberties with Macklin or Will, I want Givani here, to take care of that and hopefully curb it.
Kunin and Goodrow do the same job. I don't like either but bot can do that and actually play hockey to an extent. Smith just face punches

Reactions: Bizz

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Kunin and Goodrow do the same job. I don't like either but bot can do that and actually play hockey to an extent. Smith just face punches
Did you see who didn’t play for Vegas last night? Korczak. I don’t know the reasons why but one could be that they didn’t want him being targeted. In hockey terms. Just something that popped into my head when I saw he was scratched.

To add, Kunin and Goodrow, though willing, are not heavyweights.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
This literally doesn't work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad