Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
You're probably right that his value is higher now than it'll ever be, but aren't we done with the tear down? Why are we moving valuable players out? Who exactly in our system is going to replace Zetterlund? We have no prospects like him, so we'd just be looking for another Zetterlund immediately.
Thanks for making this point. I think some get “trade happy.” Zetterlund is certainly a part of the core, in my opinion.

Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Zetterlund is an ideal middle six winger- he plays hard, he’s solid both ways, he’s young, and he can play either wing. He also seems like he’s got a good attitude and is a leader. That’s pretty much the dream 5th/6th winger who can move up when there are injuries. We have one under 23 winger, Eklund, who’d I’d bet on being better. If three of Musty, Bysted, and Cherny and one of the next two firsts all pass him up, we’d still want a guy like him on the third line.

Zetts is an easier decision. The calls on Ferraro, Walman, and Ceci are more complicated.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
IMO Zetterlund has $5Mx6 written all over him if he has another season similar to last.
Currently has a projection of 4 years $3.7M. I'd offer him 6 years at $25M total or something and see what happens. I don't think he will play 19 mins a night like he did last year, but the team should be slightly better so his numbers might not dip too far. Guessing around 20 goals and 40 points.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I suspect this will be a controversial opinion but I think we should trade Zetterlund instead of re-signing him. I think Zetterlund's value will never be higher than it is right now and that we could likely get a first and a bit more for him in a trade.
I think that's a worthy opinion. I'm not so sold on any of our wings that I wouldn't consider trading them for the right price.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
You're probably right that his value is higher now than it'll ever be, but aren't we done with the tear down? Why are we moving valuable players out? Who exactly in our system is going to replace Zetterlund? We have no prospects like him, so we'd just be looking for another Zetterlund immediately.
Because whether you're blowing it up or coming off a Stanley Cup win you should be constantly trying to generate value.

If a team is willing to overpay for Zetterlund because he is only an extremely cheap one-year deal and coming off a season where he was a mainstay on the 1st line and PP, the Sharks should be all over that.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
To echo everything already said about Zetterlund, those stud Tampa Bay weren't just built with Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos, Sergachev, and Vasilevsky. They also made a big effort to extend guys like Palat, Killorn, etc. to these types of deals that Jux proposed. I think he'll end being a great middle-6 winger that works well on different lines as a complementary player. You definitely keep him.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
To echo everything already said about Zetterlund, those stud Tampa Bay weren't just built with Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos, Sergachev, and Vasilevsky. They also made a big effort to extend guys like Palat, Killorn, etc. to these types of deals that Jux proposed. I think he'll end being a great middle-6 winger that works well on different lines as a complementary player. You definitely keep him.
And he hasn't show anything yet besides that he can put up some points with prime opportunities playing on the worst team in the cap era. If some other team values him as a "great middle-6 winger" you take that trade.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
And he hasn't show anything yet besides that he can put up some points with prime opportunities playing on the worst team in the cap era. If some other team values him as a "great middle-6 winger" you take that trade.
He has the playstyle of a solid 3rd line winger who can move up to the top-6 in a pinch, that's not bad value for 4M/yr.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think that's too vague to really get behind. The Sharks are at a point now where they can be a lot more selective about what they target for guys they may be willing to put on the table. This team really only needs defensemen and if a top-four caliber defenseman or better requires the Sharks to put Zetterlund on the table as part of the package then yeah I'd be open to that. However, playoff team 1st round picks or that caliber of a prospect isn't going to interest me much. I'd rather keep Zetterlund, pay him some reasonable figure and wait until prospects push him down the lineup before entertaining a trade.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Zetterlund is a keeper. I think he's a 30-30 guys to be. I would extend him long term for solid $$ asap. 6yrs, 30M would be just fine with me. I see him a solid player to continue a rebuild with. We dont need to trade 25 year olds for more picks. We can trade 33 year olds for picks, that's fine, but we also need NHL players entering their primes to build around.

Here's my hot take: Smith should start in the AHL. I went to the game last night and he is not NHL ready yet. He's not bad, but he cannot be a top 6 forward in the NHL yet, so hes better off getting big minutes in the A.

Second hot take: I was wrong about this team. They are going to be very near the bottom. Celebrini looks very good, but dickinson, smith, musty, and all the other top prospects (other than cagnoni) look like they are definitely nowhere near NHL ready. I was hoping that a few of the top kids would be ready, but aside form celly, they just arent. The only pleasant surprise is Gushkin, who may be ready to really go off on a big way.

third hot take: Wennberg was yet another grier special to go along with Lindbom, Kunin, Sturm, G Smith, Borroughs, Benning, and the rest of the garbage army he has assembled. 5M for this guy? he was so amazingly bad defensively (let alone offensively). It's preseason so I am likely overreacting, but maybe there is a reason no one wants him as he plays for 5 different teams in the last 5 years. I think he will sorely disappoint.

fourth hot take: Warsofsky hasnt figured out coaching just yet. The sharks do not have a breakout. They cannot come out of thier own zone with any speed, so they will fail to score. Again, preseason, but argh. Definitely resembles last year.

The only hope is to have two scoring lines if Gush can explode on the scene. Toffoli-celebrini-Gushkin and the Lund line. That might be enough, but we'll see...

For now though, Musty and dick belong in the O. Bystedt and smith belong in the A. Thompson and cagnoni looked close, but not sure about cags defensively yet, so he likely needs AHL seasoning too. Wish we coulda seen Mukh....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad