Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Fewer right hand shot defenseman.
And D are generally optimized when they are playing their correct side. Some people pooh pooh this notion, but there are numerous articles out there where NHL d-men describe the challenges of playing their offside (being on the backhand on d-zone dump puck retrievals, picking pucks off the boards in the o-zone). Teams are obviously making draft decisions based on that, and coaches generally set line-ups accordingly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
4th round pick would be nice.
They can't afford Sturm at 2 mil unless we take someone back making at least 800k but probably closer to a mil so that would be like taking back Englund or Rittich. And personally, a 4th round pick for that kind of swap isn't worth it to me. I'd rather keep Sturm and see if we can get a 3rd at the deadline for him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They can't afford Sturm at 2 mil unless we take someone back making at least 800k but probably closer to a mil so that would be like taking back Englund or Rittich
I'd do Sturm for Englund and a 4th or 5th. We might be able to get something for Englund at the deadline too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they give us a 4th round pick, I'd probably take it at this point. We have way too many fourth liners on this roster.
I think Sturm can get us that at the deadline so I don't see a good reason to part ways with him at this point. Swapping too many 4th liners for too many fringe NHL depth defensemen or too many goalies just to get a 4th doesn't seem worth it when that asset can likely get that on his own at the deadline. If I'm going to get rid of any 4th liners, it's going to be one of the wingers like Kostin if he fails to build on last season or Kunin because he's awful.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
GMMG should be a good guy and send Grundstrom and Bordeleau to CBJ for like a 5th or something. No chance Musty even gets 9 games with so many veteran 13th FWs and Bordeleau is done here.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If we’re doing favors like that let’s send them Goodrow and Kunin instead since that’ll do us some good.
Goodrow and Kunin whether we like it or not are guarenteed spots, and can play in the bottom 6. Someone like Bordeleau is neither of those. Hence why it would be a favour.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

We should send them Nico Sturm.
They have Studnicka on the AHL roster per Puckpedia so would imagine that they give him a look to start.

Sturm will be dealt though sometime this season. Probably will need to let some teams accrue cap space throughout the year though before dealing as there are cheaper options that may pass through waivers or not get picked up after PTOs (i.e. Lorentz in TOR as an option) coming out of camp.

Grier should have a busy January through March with as many as 6 guys that could realistically be dealt (Sturm, Kunin, Granlund, Ceci, Rutta, and Blackwood/Vanecek). Doubt all 6 move, but probably set the over under at 3.5.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
They have Studnicka on the AHL roster per Puckpedia so would imagine that they give him a look to start.

Sturm will be dealt though sometime this season. Probably will need to let some teams accrue cap space throughout the year though before dealing as there are cheaper options that may pass through waivers or not get picked up after PTOs (i.e. Lorentz in TOR as an option) coming out of camp.

Grier should have a busy January through March with as many as 6 guys that could realistically be dealt (Sturm, Kunin, Granlund, Ceci, Rutta, and Blackwood/Vanecek). Doubt all 6 move, but probably set the over under at 3.5.
Over. Granlund, Ceci, Sturm, and one of the goalies will be dealt at the deadline. Kunin will be signed to a new contract and some people here will go nuts. Plus Rutta will also be traded.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Goodrow and Kunin whether we like it or not are guarenteed spots, and can play in the bottom 6. Someone like Bordeleau is neither of those. Hence why it would be a favour.
You know who else is guaranteed a spot? Grundstrom. It's silly to think that we'd sign him as a free agent to that contract to trade him before he even plays a game just to do Columbus a favor. If Kostin plays his way out of the lineup, they may move him in this sort of move but if we're doing something resembling a meritocracy, Goodrow or Kostin are the guys that get cut because of their poor performance but it's only one game and there's still time. We're also not likely to move Bordeleau while he's injured.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

I can see Sturm, Rutta and one of the goalies being dealt. I’m guessing that if Granlund wants to stay, he will. I’m unsure on Kunin. Ceci is an unknown.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Sure, if all you're looking for is guys to skate around and be invisible on the ice, they can play in the bottom 6. Even against Anaheim's B team, neither guy was a presence in any part of the game.

And that's ultimately the problem with the Sharks. You can say that about way too many guys.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Over. Granlund, Ceci, Sturm, and one of the goalies will be dealt at the deadline. Kunin will be signed to a new contract and some people here will go nuts. Plus Rutta will also be traded.
Issue will be, how are there 4-6 players on the worst team in the league for 2 years that are worth adding to your roster? That's the hurdle that will have to be overcome to see the over hit on that 3.5.

Ceci is new so he probably doesn't count, but the others will have been part of the worst team in the league last year and likely bottom 3 team in the league this year. As an opposing GM, do you really think those are winning players for your team that are worth acquiring?

We thought more guys would get dealt last year, but without retention slots that didn't come to fruition. Difference this year would be that we have heavier style players to sell off as opposed to perimeter non-playoff style players like Barabanov, Labanc, Hoffman, etc. Just a matter of whether or not other teams value our depth pieces enough to acquire them without retention.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Issue will be, how are there 4-6 players on the worst team in the league for 2 years that are worth adding to your roster? That's the hurdle that will have to be overcome to see the over hit on that 3.5.

Ceci is new so he probably doesn't count, but the others will have been part of the worst team in the league last year and likely bottom 3 team in the league this year. As an opposing GM, do you really think those are winning players for your team that are worth acquiring?

We thought more guys would get dealt last year, but without retention slots that didn't come to fruition. Difference this year would be that we have heavier style players to sell off as opposed to perimeter non-playoff style players like Barabanov, Labanc, Hoffman, etc. Just a matter of whether or not other teams value our depth pieces enough to acquire them without retention.
I don't see how it's really an issue. This team is better than last year and I think everyone knows it and last year's team was able to move five players at the deadline including mediocre performers like Kahkonen, Okhotiuk, Simek, and to a lesser degree Duclair. Guys like Sturm, Kunin, Rutta, Ceci, and Granlund can all by hypothetical depth fits for competing teams. And Kahkonen's performance last year leaves open the possibility of moving one of the goalies but it may be a similar sort of deal where you're taking something back from a bad team to get a little something for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad