Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
There is definitely a oldest/middle/youngest sibling dynamic going on

Celebrini = golden child who has their shit together
Smith = lack of attention fueling creative expression
Musty = spoiled rapscallion who always escapes any serious consequences of their actions
With Celebrini and Smith getting all the hype. I was leaning toward redheaded step child for Musty. Also the fiesty one

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That would be great honestly. Personally I don’t see it because that would be 3 rookie forwards and potentially a rookie D and G. Think he would really have to force his way there. Don’t really know who else is there but I wonder if a part of it was a request from the coaching staff.
Right, I think (fair or not) Smith will only have to show that he can hang to make the squad, whereas I think Musty would have to make it impossible for them to send him back to Sudbury. Don't think it's likely, but I love to see him trying.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Wennberg-Celebrini-Toffoli
Musty-Smith-Kunin
Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea
You'd have to shelter the shit out of that third line but inject that lineup into my veins!!!

I feel like that spot you have Musty in is the Kostin/Bordeleau/Gushchin spot where only one of those guys and Musty can realistically make the team.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
There is definitely a oldest/middle/youngest sibling dynamic going on

Celebrini = golden child who has their shit together
Smith = lack of attention fueling creative expression
Musty = spoiled rapscallion who always escapes any serious consequences of their actions
If Will Smith gets a nose piercing and starts hanging around with the wrong crowd this year, we'll know he's not getting enough love from Warsofsky.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Totally could see them keeping Kostin and Musty, giving him 9 games, then 15 AHL conditioning, world juniors, and he's only a few months until the end of Sudbury's season.
He's likely to be traded out of Sudbury as well, so if it were 9 sporadic games NHL -> AHL "conditioning" -> WJC -> OHL contender, that might not be the worst idea.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Assuming Couture is available I’d probably do:
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Smith-Wennberg-Celebrini
Musty-Couture-Toffoli
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
I love the players in this but I would try to keep the handedness correct and couple of swaps:
1st line same
2nd line: Celebrini - Couture - Toffoli
(Very competitive line w/ veteran C and RW. You can swap Celly and Couture as a center)
3rd line: Musty - Wennberg - Smith (veteran C with the youngsters, you can swap Wennie and Smith as a center)
4th line same

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's likely to be traded out of Sudbury as well, so if it were 9 sporadic games NHL -> AHL "conditioning" -> WJC -> OHL contender, that might not be the worst idea.
Is he? I’ve tuned out of hockey this offseason for the most part. Why’s it likely he gets traded?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is he? I’ve tuned out of hockey this offseason for the most part. Why’s it likely he gets traded?
Sudbury isn't likely to be very good this season with Dvorsky and Goyette not coming back, so it would probably be smart for them to trade Musty at the deadline to jumpstart their rebuild cycle. Not saying it for sure happens, you never know how the team will actually perform, but on paper the Wolves don't really look like a great OHL team. Musty would net them a ton of assets and would be the best player available at the deadline, so a contender like Oshawa, London, Brampton, Barrie, etc. would probably love to pick him up for a Mem Cup run.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I would not at all be surprised to see musty get 9 games. Then it’s up to him to show he’s ready. If he does, then he’ll stick. I love what I saw from him and smith both last year and this year in the prospect games….

I have absolutely no problem having three rookie forwards and a rookie D. So what? The expectation on the team and the rooks is very low. They aren’t expected to lead the team to the POs, so it’s great time to see what they are….

I also would not be surprised to see musty make the leap successfully. He haft he size and skill, and he has a head coach that understands good defensive systems and good defensive play so the big hole in his game can be coached.

Personally I’d love to the Lund line stick. The celly with Toffoli and maybe kostin/dyllandrea…., smith, musty and a defensively solid wennberg in the third line. Basically takes the best U22s and spreads them over three lines, and pairs with solid vet. That second line wing with Toffoli and cell would be the one big hole.

Ps: The first 10 games will be huge. If the rooks, including musty, look like nhlers and the team can go 5-5 (or better), then it’s game on….

I got my $20 on sharks 250-1 to win the west, $20 at 200-1 to take the pacific, $100 at 13-1 to make playoffs, and $200 over 63.5 pts, so I’ll put my money where my mouth is. The sharks will be a whole lot better than expected…

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I got my $20 on sharks 250-1 to win the west, $20 at 200-1 to take the pacific, $100 at 13-1 to make playoffs, and $200 over 63.5 pts, so I’ll put my money where my mouth is. The sharks will be a whole lot better than expected…

You are properly crazy. Hats off. Do I recall correctly but did you also bet on the Sharks winning the Cup at like 400:1 odds?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Holy moly man. the only one of these I think is totally reasonable is the over on 63.5pts, that's definitely possible. The rest... Woof.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Holy moly man. the only one of these I think is totally reasonable is the over on 63.5pts, that's definitely possible. The rest... Woof.
But if any of them actually hits then sheesh that is good money coming back compared to what was spent lol.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Therein lies the rub of gambling.
Yep, I obviously don’t expect to win any but the over 63.5.

But I don’t think 200-1 to take the pacific is right. It should be more like 60 or 80-1. 100-1 to come out of the west.

It’s still likely a loser but that’s why the $$ is small.

The roster is 12 (maybe 13) new guy. It includes several of the top prospects which likely means they will suck but it’s very unknown. It includes a few added vet D that may provide some stability to the back end. It includes am the best goalie prospect in the game and goalies can completely change the fortunes of a team (Bennington?). It also includes 4 sc winners, so the winning experience is there. It includes a positive culture and most importantly it includes a new coach who specializes in good defensive structure.

It’s just a different team than last year. Still very likely to fail, but not as likely as the rest of league thinks.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would not at all be surprised to see musty get 9 games. Then it’s up to him to show he’s ready. If he does, then he’ll stick. I love what I saw from him and smith both last year and this year in the prospect games….

I have absolutely no problem having three rookie forwards and a rookie D. So what? The expectation on the team and the rooks is very low. They aren’t expected to lead the team to the POs, so it’s great time to see what they are….

I also would not be surprised to see musty make the leap successfully. He haft he size and skill, and he has a head coach that understands good defensive systems and good defensive play so the big hole in his game can be coached.

Personally I’d love to the Lund line stick. The celly with Toffoli and maybe kostin/dyllandrea…., smith, musty and a defensively solid wennberg in the third line. Basically takes the best U22s and spreads them over three lines, and pairs with solid vet. That second line wing with Toffoli and cell would be the one big hole.

Ps: The first 10 games will be huge. If the rooks, including musty, look like nhlers and the team can go 5-5 (or better), then it’s game on….

Lol. You're the kind of gambler bookies and sports books love.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Tom Tolbert who was a good back up power forward with the Warriors (though they were bad andno depth and had to start with them) and later with some championship contenders. He became a talk show host with the late Ralph Barbiari (sp) who when he was getting deferred money from Basketball liked to sports gamble. His Moment of realizing a bad beat after retiring, he bet on a college basketball game, Notre Dame vs who ever and ND was a 13 Point underdog, well they were behind the whole game then a flurry got them tied... into overtime (I believe 6 minute) lost by more than 13 LOL. He stopped sports betting after, that story he told on the Air. :biglaugh:

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I'd like to see Musty traded to London.

Get to play with future teammates and the coaches there could hopefully work on the other aspects of his game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
64 points is the equivalent of winning 32 games

To "expect" a team to improve by 13 wins when the main additions to the roster are two teenaged centermen is ridiculous

Do not get absorbed in wins and losses this year, that's not what the 2025 season is about, we're going to be one of the 5 worst teams in the league as our absolute ceiling, just enjoy watching our young flashy prospects learn and grow and have fun watching hockey for a change

That money is gone, bro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad