Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Celebrini and Smith are not slideable as they are former NCAA players, not CHL. You forgot Dickinson who is slideable.
Puckpedia has both Celebrini and Smith as slide-eligible because they're 18-19 year old players on an ELC. I don't believe the CBA cares where they were signed from, as long as they're the correct age.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Puckpedia has both Celebrini and Smith as slide-eligible because they're 18-19 year old players on an ELC. I don't believe the CBA cares where they were signed from, as long as they're the correct age.
But where would they play if not NHL or AHL?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Even if they somehow are so bad for 9 games that they get badly outplayed by bottom 6ers, GMMG is probably committed to playing them and have them learn on the job

Can't picture a situation where Hasso sees all these tickets and jersey sales and gives the OK for GMMG to yeet Celebrini and Smith off the NHL roster

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
At 27 and not old what is his game like. Sounds like a limited, as they write it, puck mover maybe bad in his own end. It would seem a good Dman at 27 should have them lining up.... unless his minuses out weigh his pluses. Buy I am not familiar with his game so maybe he would be a good pickup or Not.
The real risk with Kylington is injury

His last 4 seasons:

2021 - 8 games played
2022 - 73 games played
2023 - 0 games played
2024 - 33 games played

He's a secondary puck moving option like you pointed out, so he has a specific usefulness and utility that not every team is necessarily looking for (we are, though), but committing any real money or especially term to him is risky because he just hasn't been able to stay healthy for any extended period of time

I'd love to take a risk on Kylington, give him 2 years, if he plays 0 games it doesn't effect our cap structure at all, but if he can manage to play the majority of the games he just might be the best power play option we have on the roster

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The real risk with Kylington is injury

His last 4 seasons:

2021 - 8 games played
2022 - 73 games played
2023 - 0 games played
2024 - 33 games played

He's a secondary puck moving option like you pointed out, so he has a specific usefulness and utility that not every team is necessarily looking for (we are, though), but committing any real money or especially term to him is risky because he just hasn't been able to stay healthy for any extended period of time

I'd love to take a risk on Kylington, give him 2 years, if he plays 0 games it doesn't effect our cap structure at all, but if he can manage to play the majority of the games he just might be the best power play option we have on the roster
Most of that wasn’t injury though I don’t believe. I could be wrong but I believe a lot of that was mental stuff.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021

Anyone interested in picking up Laine?

I wouldn't want to give up much value but if CBJ just wants to move on, he could be a good bridge until Halttunen is NHL ready...

I wonder if a deal could be had around Sturm (I like Sturm but I take the Wennberg signing to be the writing on the wall for him) + one of Bords or Gushchin.

* For reference, I'm one of those nuts that thinks the Sharks can do another 93-94/97-98 /16-17 Maple Leafs-like turnaround and make the playoffs this year, so I am actively looking to improve the team, not aiming for another top 5 pick with a move like this.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Eggdoh

Aug 25, 2022
Kylington seems like a good right shot option. I remember him being pretty good at one point, and his struggles the past few years sound like they aren't insurmountable. That article linked above also makes him sound pretty thoughtful. Not interested in Laine. I wish him all the best, but even if he returns to form, he's the type of 1-dimensional player I don't want on the Sharks. The Labanc/Hoffman trauma is still too fresh.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Most of that wasn’t injury though I don’t believe. I could be wrong but I believe a lot of that was mental stuff.
Either way, he's been largely unavailable for 4 years, missed games are missed games

Kylington seems like a good right shot option. I remember him being pretty good at one point, and his struggles the past few years sound like they aren't insurmountable. That article linked above also makes him sound pretty thoughtful. Not interested in Laine. I wish him all the best, but even if he returns to form, he's the type of 1-dimensional player I don't want on the Sharks. The Labanc/Hoffman trauma is still too fresh.
He shoots left, but I think he can play both sides

I'd definitely take a flyer on Kylington

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Laine isn't good at anything but shooting, hard pass, I wouldn't take the best version of him for free
Heatley wasn't good at anything but shooting but looked pretty good on with Patty and Jumbo.

I haven't watched Laine much, so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but the comparison to middling talents like Labanc/Hoffman seems odd to me.

Reactions: Star Platinum

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Heatley wasn't good at anything but shooting but looked pretty good on with Patty and Jumbo.

I haven't watched Laine much, so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but the comparison to middling talents like Labanc/Hoffman seems odd to me.
I think those comparisons oversell Laine, he's legitimately terrible

He's huge but doesn't hit, he's slow but doesn't have good positioning, he has puck carrying skills but doesn't distribute well, he plays NO defense, and he isn't engaged enough in the play to be a consistent goal scoring threat

Laine has scored 40 goals once and hasn't scored 30 goals since 2019, before Covid, before the Sharks playoff drought, all of his value and reputation is built on accomplishments from half a decade ago

He's Brandon Pirri with draft pedigree, legitimately has an otherworldly shot and it is absolutely tantalizing, but he has ZERO other NHL caliber skills which prevents him from being able to capitalize on his shot and he's such a defensive liability that he can't play in your bottom 6, he's an absolute tank commander

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Kylington is L shot, but I'd be down with taking a flyer on him as well

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Kylington looks more like a PTO guy to me. He's played 33 NHL games in the last 2 years. I don't think anyone is giving him a one-way contract.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad