Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's still crazy to think about how much input Wilson gave DeBoer on the roster.

Boedker, Spaling and Zubrus were brought in because DeBoer had coached them previously. They were all horrible on the Sharks.

Meanwhile we lost Nieto and Carpenter, two youngish legit bottom six forwards, on waivers because PDB refused to play them.
When did DeBoer coach Boedker? Was it juniors?

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
The average NHL career length is 4.5 years.

So if a player stops playing it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't used to be an NHL player (like Wingels) - just most careers don't last all that long.

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I’m biased towards Tommy. He was the first autograph I ever got. The next two were James Sheppard and Tyler Kennedy so I also won’t hear slander towards them.

Did Tyler sign it "ManBearPig?" :sarcasm:

1721749810949.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Buffalo signed UPL for 5 years so you can add Devon Levi to the list of young goalie prospects blocked for the foreseeable future.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Buffalo signed UPL for 5 years so you can add Devon Levi to the list of young goalie prospects blocked for the foreseeable future.
I dunno if I agree with that, this deal seems very reasonable for platooning. Let’s say UPL is the starter for two more years, they do two years of 50-50 platooning, then UPL is backup for the last year of the contract—that seems reasonable for all parties involved. I don’t think this contract spells the end of Levi in Buffalo the way Saros’ spells the end of Askarov in Nashville.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I dunno if I agree with that, this deal seems very reasonable for platooning. Let’s say UPL is the starter for two more years, they do two years of 50-50 platooning, then UPL is backup for the last year of the contract—that seems reasonable for all parties involved. I don’t think this contract spells the end of Levi in Buffalo the way Saros’ spells the end of Askarov in Nashville.
Doesn't necessarily guarantee it, but $4.75M is a bit rich for a platoon goalie (that and platoon goalies usually don't get 5 years worth of term given the variability of them and accessibility in UFA every year). Add in that he already had 2023-24 where he made 50+ starts and I think this is a "you're our starter" deal that they couldn't get Ullmark to agree to a few years back.

That said, I don't want much to do with Levi as a 6'0 goalie. He's a backup and not much else at that size. Saros is a massive outlier when it comes to goalie size and I don't see Grier going down that rabbit hole given the size of goalies that he's brought in (Blackwood - 6'4, Vanecek - 6'2, Kirsch - 6'3, Romanov - 6'5, Makiniemi - 6'2, Korostelyov - 6'2).

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I feel like this contract shows that we are probably seeing a trade somewhere down the line (Wiesblatt style). I'm going to miss the Eklund/Bordeleau bromance. That was such a nice little prospect thing to follow in the dark years of the rebuild.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I'm still hoping for a Bordeleau for Fabbro swap. Cap relief and family ties might sway the Preds.
This would be a dream scenario as there is no RD depth at all.
If I'm MG, I would be shopping Gusch and Bordeleau for RD depth starting yesterday.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
This would be a dream scenario as there is no RD depth at all.
If I'm MG, I would be shopping Gusch and Bordeleau for RD depth starting yesterday.
Brought his name up in the Thrun thread, but William Borgen would be a dream target for this team. Flip Rutta/Benning and Gushchin for him with Seattle being starved for goal scoring last year.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Trying to figure out how to spread the wealth through 3 lines so none of our young forwards has to carry too much weight, and with the instant chemistry we saw between Smith and Musty in the prospect camp I wonder if Grundstrom can act as sort of a Musty-lite for his wing

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Grundstrom-Smith-Dellandrea
Sturm-Wennberg-Goodrow

Flip-flop Dellandrea and Wennberg depending on how well Smith adjusts to playing center full time, and if Wennberg has to move up Sturm can play 4C

Also gets Kunin out of the lineup, so that's a bonus

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Someone was asking contract count: 42+4 NHL contracts. 10 AHL contracts.

Goalies: 4+1
Defense: 14+1 slideable NHL deals; 3 AHL
Forwards: 24+3 NHL; 6 AHL
That was me, thank you. Don't we have 5 slideable forward contracts though (Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Halttunen, Edstrom)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad