Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Broberg-Rutta
Walman-Emberson
Thrun/Shak-Benning

Ferraro to Carolina for draft picks. Vlasic to the Doug Wilson compound in Scottsdale.

I agree. In 3-4 years a left side of Dickinson, Broberg and Mukhamadullin could be a real problem for the rest of the league.

I recall the Broberg debate last off season and I hope I was on team "get Broberg" then because I am for sure now.

We should absolutely be making a team like EDM pay for that stupid Nurse contract

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I recall the Broberg debate last off season and I hope I was on team "get Broberg" then because I am for sure now.

We should absolutely be making a team like EDM pay for that stupid Nurse contract
When has an offer sheet for a player that hasn't shown out yet worked out though? To make it worthwhile, it's going to have to be multiple years in the $3-4M range for a guy with 1200 mins of NHL experience (none of which have been all that impressive).

Agree that he got put into a tough spot in the playoffs, but he was literally the worst skater on Edmonton from an expected goals percentage and high danger scoring chance percentage standpoint. There are for sure tools there, but is locking yourself into a situation where you're paying the 35th overall pick and $4M+ dollars to a guy that hasn't proven out to be an NHLer at a position we're already deep at with similar profiles the best asset management strategy?

Feels like of those is the juice really worth the squeeze situations.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
When has an offer sheet for a player that hasn't shown out yet worked out though? To make it worthwhile, it's going to have to be multiple years in the $3-4M range for a guy with 1200 mins of NHL experience (none of which have been all that impressive).

Agree that he got put into a tough spot in the playoffs, but he was literally the worst skater on Edmonton from an expected goals percentage and high danger scoring chance percentage standpoint. There are for sure tools there, but is locking yourself into a situation where you're paying the 35th overall pick and $4M+ dollars to a guy that hasn't proven out to be an NHLer at a position we're already deep at with similar profiles the best asset management strategy?

Feels like of those is the juice really worth the squeeze situations.
To be clear, I'm operating under the assumption that the Sharks do this if:
  • Their pro scouts are confident Broberg is a top-4 dman long term
  • They're confident they can move Ferraro at some point for a return that would recoup the cost of the OS while opening a spot for Broberg long term
  • Broberg is unhappy in EDM and wants to leave
I think you offer him 4.2 x 2 (if that's the max for 2nd return and keeps him an RFA) and promise him ice time that he can't get in Edm (obv on top of money). He doesn't have to sign it and you don't budge.

Like @Hodge said, the idea of a long term left side of Muk, Broberg, and Dickinson is enticing. It doesn't "solve" our D problem but it clears the picture up very well. So if the above assumptions are true then I think it's a smart risk.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
  • They're confident they can move Ferraro at some point for a return that would recoup the cost of the OS while opening a spot for Broberg long term
I think you offer him 4.2 x 2 (if that's the max for 2nd return and keeps him an RFA) and promise him ice time that he can't get in Edm (obv on top of money). He doesn't have to sign it and you don't budge.

Like @Hodge said, the idea of a long term left side of Muk, Broberg, and Dickinson is enticing. It doesn't "solve" our D problem but it clears the picture up very well. So if the above assumptions are true then I think it's a smart risk.
They could even add on a 3rd year to the deal which wouldn’t impact the Sharks cap much since they are unlikely to need the space before Smith and Celebrini’s second contract.

Then if he performs well you can either trade him for a haul like what Carolina is looking at with Necas or extend him.

If he isn’t performing to the level of the contract they could just non tender him and he becomes a UFA a year early. It is a big win for the player.

It’s not just GMs that don’t want to ruffle feathers. It is also his agent that has to worry about burning a bridge with the Oilers.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I don't think you'd have to offer 4.2 to get Broberg if you really wanted him. They're over the cap and need to sign Holloway and Broberg. They have some smaller contracts they can try to jettison but then they'd need bodies. If you really want to screw them over, it'd be doing something like offer sheet both of them and rob them of a prospect or take Kulak and/or Henrique off their hands. I'd actually be pretty interested in Kulak. He's 30 with 2 yrs on his contract and he has a solid track record as a 2 way bottom 4 d-man.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Just reading a couple “off season team grading “ articles and I have no idea how they don’t give the sharks and Grier an A or at the very least an A- pretty absurd it’s on been a B grade

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Just reading a couple “off season team grading “ articles and I have no idea how they don’t give the sharks and Grier an A or at the very least an A- pretty absurd it’s on been a B grade
I find articles that assign grades right after something happens (a draft, free agency, etc.) to be mostly worthless. Time ultimately shows who made good decisions and who didn't. It's just clickbait to me.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I feel like these grading articles also don’t take into account where a team is. Like, if it’s a B cause he’s done better but they still won’t make the playoffs… you know, duh. But also, yeah, it’s… July.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I find articles that assign grades right after something happens (a draft, free agency, etc.) to be mostly worthless. Time ultimately shows who made good decisions and who didn't. It's just clickbait to me.

While I take your point, these guys are in the business of getting eyeballs. I think a sports journalist who approaches their editor with “I’m not gonna write that offseason review because it’s too early, I’ll write it in 2027 when I can be more certain with my grading” isn’t long for that vocation.

I think it’s totally fine to present an opinion based on the knowledge available at the time. I think the expectation is to bring a perspective rather than to be “right” with some degree of frequency.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
While I take your point, these guys are in the business of getting eyeballs. I think a sports journalist who approaches their editor with “I’m not gonna write that offseason review because it’s too early, I’ll write it in 2027 when I can be more certain with my grading” isn’t long for that vocation.

I think it’s totally fine to present an opinion based on the knowledge available at the time. I think the expectation is to bring a perspective rather than to be “right” with some degree of frequency.
They're perfectly entitled to write whatever they want to write, just as I am entitled to not care about those type of articles.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Grading the offseason on July 10th seems short-sighted. I don’t think Grier is done.
Interesting, seems to me that he may be 90% done outside of adding a veteran defenseman and maybe trading someone to clear a logjam. What makes you say that?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Interesting, seems to me that he may be 90% done outside of adding a veteran defenseman and maybe trading someone to clear a logjam. What makes you say that?
Last I checked 90% done doesn’t mean 100% done. :laugh:

I think it’s exactly as you said. I think we’ll trade for a D (I still think someone like Fabbro, TVR, or Whitecloud will shake loose from cap-strapped teams), maybe move a depth guy for roster space, and acquire a depth goalie.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I think it’s exactly as you said. I think we’ll trade for a D (I still think someone like Fabbro, TVR, or Whitecloud will shake loose from cap-strapped teams), maybe move a depth guy for roster space, and acquire a depth goalie.
Touché lol

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Still think we should look hard at taking on a big salary. Getting another first or good prospect for a contract would be a cherry on top and now is the perfect time to take on something with 3 years max term.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Albert Johansson might be a guy worth taking a flier on if the Red Wings are forced to put him on waivers.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I mean for the overall league perspective as it relates to next season (how these things are usually evaluated), it's a solid B to B+ because we still have the worst defensive group in the league but have a much better forward group and cap space without handing out any absurd contracts.

That said, there is still time to address adding a defenseman that can play on the right side in the top 4 which would probably bump it to an A even by the judging standards noted above.

As fans/followers of the team, we're grading on the scale of it being a rebuild offseason by which it is a for sure A.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Still think we should look hard at taking on a big salary. Getting another first or good prospect for a contract would be a cherry on top and now is the perfect time to take on something with 3 years max term.
Not many of those guys left out there. Teams clearing out money have to have an avenue to spend that newfound money if they're giving up assets to clear it. Most of the UFAs that are going to bring in significant AAVs are all gone which means that outside of a trade, teams don't have a lot more need for cap space as we sit here on 7/11 (unless it's someone like Edmonton that can't sign their RFAs because of cap issues).

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I just read them see different opinions, and I’m by no means a Grier guy yet and even I thought he had a great draft and at the very least a good early July that compared to other teams warranted an A grade

I mean for the overall league perspective as it relates to next season (how these things are usually evaluated), it's a solid B to B+ because we still have the worst defensive group in the league but have a much better forward group and cap space without handing out any absurd contracts.

That said, there is still time to address adding a defenseman that can play on the right side in the top 4 which would probably bump it to an A even by the judging standards noted above.

As fans/followers of the team, we're grading on the scale of it being a rebuild offseason by which it is a for sure A.
Interesting POV im looking at in the sense of great draft, mostly solid to good pick ups via trade and UFA. Long term future view vs next season because we all know it’s only going to be marginally better.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I just read them see different opinions, and I’m by no means a Grier guy yet and even I thought he had a great draft and at the very least a good early July that compared to other teams warranted an A grade

Interesting POV im looking at in the sense of great draft, mostly solid to good pick ups via trade and UFA. Long term future view vs next season because we all know it’s only going to be marginally better.
Most of these offseason grades do not include the draft in their process since they already get clicks from draft grades.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
technically_correct_futurama.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad