Value of: Habs 2 x 1sts 2025 + Jordan Harris/Jayden Struble

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Kovacevic lost his spot to one of Mailloux, Huston or Reinbacher. I'm pretty sure all 3 are NHL ready but one or two will go back down because there is simply no room right now. My personal bet is Hutson and Reinbacher start the year in Montreal and Harris is traded for a mid to late pick while Struble gets the #7 role.

I agree that Montreal pass the .500 mark. I see them in the 85-90 points mark. This will be an eye-opener for many people on how good Montreal will be.

Primeau was #7 or #8 this year in 5 on 5 SV% as a 24 years old. Goalies really take off at 26-27 and he's already showing at 24 that he can be a good goalie in the NHL
Primeau presents a challenging assessment. He appeared sufficiently solid this year, yet I harbored several doubts the previous year. I believed Montreal should retain him, which led to the three-goalie situation we encountered, but I was far from convinced.

The inconsistency often associated with young goaltenders is one thing, but what concerns me is his demeanor. He emerged from a poor performance and admitted to the media that the opposing team got into his head after three goals were scored on his glove side. I see two issues with these remarks: firstly, there are professionals whose job is to identify weaknesses in goaltending—dont just tell them! You just basically told them that either your glove hand is bad or that repeated goals in the same place will throw you off your game.

Secondly, if my goalie doesn't seem calm and composed, then I am more likely to be safer on D than to take chances. A team plays differently when they doubt goaltending. I seriously question if this type of statement is a lack of judgement/experience or if the IQ is just not there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Monahan had a good season and isn't easily replaced

Actually, he has already been easily replaced by Kirby Dach.

Is Primeau ready for full time backup duties?

Cayden Primeau played 23 games with a .910 save percentage for a lousy Montreal team. He's clearly ready.

Is one of the defense rookies going to step in and easily take over Kovacevic's role?

Yes, the Canadiens have a ton of young defensemen which is exactly why they had to get rid of Kovacevic to create some room.

Even with him gone, the Canadiens still have way more blueliners then they have jobs at the NHL level.

All of these players are likely to spend time on the Habs blue line this year: David Savard, Mike Matheson, Kaiden Guile, Arber Xhekaj, Jordan Harris, Jayden Struble, Lane Hutson, Logan Mailloux, David Reinbacher.

That's nine guys. Getting rid of a Kovacevic was a necessity, not a cause for concern.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Keep them cause you need them and Habs will probably be top 10 for a couple of years at the draft

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Primeau presents a challenging assessment. He appeared sufficiently solid this year, yet I harbored several doubts the previous year. I believed Montreal should retain him, which led to the three-goalie situation we encountered, but I was far from convinced.

The inconsistency often associated with young goaltenders is one thing, but what concerns me is his demeanor. He emerged from a poor performance and admitted to the media that the opposing team got into his head after three goals were scored on his glove side. I see two issues with these remarks: firstly, there are professionals whose job is to identify weaknesses in goaltending—dont just tell them! You just basically told them that either your glove hand is bad or that repeated goals in the same place will throw you off your game.

Secondly, if my goalie doesn't seem calm and composed, then I am more likely to be safer on D than to take chances. A team plays differently when they doubt goaltending. I seriously question if this type of statement is a lack of judgement/experience or if the IQ is just not there.
He’s still 24. That’s very young for a goalie.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Habs window isn't close to being open. I know the Habs organization likes throwing their young player to the wolves and expect them to be stars right off the bat but that isn't how it works.

They might even be worse next season,

They lost
-Kovacevic
-Allen
-Monahan

Monahan had a good season and isn't easily replaced

Is Primeau ready for full time backup duties?

Is one of the defense rookies going to step in and easily take over Kovacevic's role?

Honestly the Hab's "Window" is probably opens two seasons from now.
Dach healthy would replace Monahan.

Primeau is ready for backup. He looked great let year after Allen was traded.

As for Kovacevic, one of Harris or Struble could easily flip sides and play that role. And I liked Kovacevic.

All in all, I think the team is on the verge. And yes two years from now especially. But I believe our team has the potential to be big risers this year if we can stay relatively healthy. We lead the league in 1 goal losses last year. The kids are coming along

DarthMaster09

May 16, 2022
Right now we have Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Dach, and Demidov penciled in as our long term top6, leaving an open spot at 2LW. It makes way more sense to play out the season and see if one of Newhook or Roy can fill that spot than to make a trade now. At the end of the year we will have 12M coming off the books for Armia, Dvorak, and salary retained in trades, and we'll have a better picture of our needs going forward. If nobody can take the spot on the second line, it would also probably hurt our record, thus increasing the trade value of our draft pick, The bigger concern, though, would be Dach's health. If he can't stay healthy it would be more important to use those assets to try and bring in another top 6 C than another winger,
Cole Eiserman would of completed our top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad