Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
I feel bad, he's terrible, but it's not Kunin's fault we were so bad, it's just indicative of where we were last year that he was such a mainstay in the lineup

On the other hand, there is a player that I don't think got enough shit for how terrible he was

Kyle Burroughs is one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Sharks jersey, I hated everything about that player and am so glad he's gone and I can't wait to watch him make Los Angeles worse

At least you can say Kunin plays with heart and energy and sells out for his teammates, Burroughs legitimately brings no positive value to his team when he's on the ice, he must be AMAZING in the room because, holy f***, that guy sucks
He's like a worse Tommy Wingels, everything he did Kunin does worse. He's still a hard worker but he isn't effective versus an NHL player that does the same things. Burroughs was invisible and his whole job should've been to be visible with physicality. Burroughs was a bum on the Sharks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
No. I had no idea that was part of the equation.

Like Goodrow, there might not be many players that want to play in San Jose. But Toffoli did. Wennberg did. Sounds like Walman is excited about it, too.

Regardless, clearing two roster spots from a suddenly cluttered 4th line and opening up more financial flexibility would’ve been my preferred route.
What more financial flexibility would you like though? They have 12M in cap space....And the roster spots for who, exactly.

Not singling you out, just using your post a springboard...... but I feel like there are so many petty little issues that posters keep bringing up that have minimal to 0 actual impact on the long-term health of this franchise. The Kunin complaints, the Wennberg money, too many 4th liners....None of those things matter because the goal this year is to develop Smith and Celebrini and whoever else is ready, not ensure contracts are fair value or that roster spots are perfectly allocated.

I do not understand these arguments at all. Most of the past few pages are filled with nonsense arguing that demonstrate a clear miss of the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What more financial flexibility would you like though? They have 12M in cap space....And the roster spots for who, exactly.

Not singling you out, just using your post a springboard...... but I feel like there are so many petty little issues that posters keep bringing up that have minimal to 0 actual impact on the long-term health of this franchise. The Kunin complaints, the Wennberg money, too many 4th liners....None of those things matter because the goal this year is to develop Smith and Celebrini and whoever else is ready, not ensure contracts are fair value.

I do not understand these arguments at all. Most of the past few pages are filled with nonsense arguing that demonstrate a clear miss of the forest for the trees.
I think a lot of it has to do with more impatience now that the team has two potential superstars joining the team. It’s finding that mental balance between wanting to see immediate improvement and continuing to steer the correct course.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
He's like a worse Tommy Wingels, everything he did Kunin does worse. He's still a hard worker but he isn't effective versus an NHL player that does the same things. Burroughs was invisible and his whole job should've been to be visible with physicality. Burroughs was a bum on the Sharks.
I know you're saying he's worse, but this still feels disrespectful to Tommy Wingels, lol

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Kostin was traded for a 7th round pick and salary dump 4 months ago. Objectively speaking, the contrarian opinion would be the one claiming he has any value. I'm not sure why I'm considered contrarian for consistently coming down on the side of whatever the actual NHL trade, draft or free agency market says a player's value is.
He was also literally traded as a sweetener to buyout Kailer Yamamoto last summer. We know Yzerman doesn't call around when making deals for guys on his roster as evidenced by the reporting from the Walman trade, so I don't really find any utility in using yet another Yzerman sell low deal as tangible proof of anything.

We had to pay Wennberg of all people twice market value to get him to come here.

Cam Atkinson, he of the 28 point variety making almost 6 million would have rather been bought out and sign for basically the league min with TB than come to SJ for his full salary.

Filling out a roster of capable NHLers on this squad is probably a harder task than most people seem to think.
Market value isn't just something you get to determine in your head/opinion. His market value on AFP was 4x4 and we got him at 2x5. That's not anywhere remotely near twice market value. If anything it is at market value or less.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He was also literally traded as a sweetener to buyout Kailer Yamamoto last summer. We know Yzerman doesn't call around when making deals for guys on his roster as evidenced by the reporting from the Walman trade, so I don't really find any utility in using yet another Yzerman sell low deal as tangible proof of anything.

Market value isn't just something you get to determine in your head/opinion. His market value on AFP was 4x4 and we got him at 2x5. That's not anywhere remotely near twice market value. If anything it is at market value or less.
He was predicted to get 2 years at 3.1, 3 years at 4.4.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Looking at some of these projected Team Canada rosters for the Four Nations Cup I think Celebrini could make it with a hot start. Surely he's already better than Bedard and maybe even someone like Suzuki.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Looking at some of these projected Team Canada rosters for the Four Nations Cup I think Celebrini could make it with a hot start. Surely he's already better than Bedard and maybe even someone like Suzuki.
The only reason he could is to give him experience for future international tournaments, but then again that's probably why Bedard will get the "kid" spot before he does.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why is it surely he’s better than a guy that put up 61 in 68 in the NHL and maybe even a guy who put up 77 in 82?

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I’d like to interrupt this 245th page of discussing Kunin to ask…

Should we offer sheet Broberg?
I like the idea even though we have enough LHD. I think it would take more than the $1.5 mil that requires no compensation. So it would have to be $2.3 to $4.5 million for a 2nd round pick.

I don’t see how Edmonton can match a $4.5 million deal.

I also think Ceci as a cap dump would fill the top 4 RHD that the team needs.

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I like the idea even though we have enough LHD. I think it would take more than the $1.5 mil that requires no compensation. So it would have to be $2.3 to $4.5 million for a 2nd round pick.

I don’t see how Edmonton can match a $4.5 million deal.

I also think Ceci as a cap dump would fill the top 4 RHD that the team needs.
For some reason I was sure he was an RHD. Yeah, maybe not then.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
What about trading Benning and Thrun for Ceci and Broberg?

This would be cap relief for Edmonton and I think Broberg is much better than Thrun.
I don't think Edmonton does that because they've proven to themselves they can make Ceci work in their system and Broberg is much better than either Benning or Thrun

I think they look for cap relief elsewhere, they're better off trading Nurse for no return at 50% retention then getting rid of Broberg at this point

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
No thank you to Cody Ceci, he is very bad, I don't even know if he's better than Matt Benning

I'd take him+Edm's 2026 2nd for Benning. Bet you could move him for a 3rd or 4th at the deadline.

Would give Edmonton $2M more that they could use for a deadline pickup (top 4 pickup, goalie upgrade)

Good golly that Nurse contract is something else.

Draisaitl (13) and Bouchard (8?) up next year. McDavid (15), Ekholm (8?), and both goalies, the year after. Add Nurse and you're at $53M for 5 players. Nuge and Hyman at $5M each are good contracts though. Aside from Nurse that'll be 6 really good players at market rate. That said, the first couple years of major star contracts can be tricky, but with a rising cap years 3+ start looking better.

Definitely feels like this is the year for Edmonton. Dallas (Pavs/Tanev), Vancouver (Zadorov/Lindholm), Vegas (Marchessault/Stephenson/Mantha), Colorado (Nuke/Walker) have all gotten worse. Eastern rivals have also gotten marginally worse Florida (Montour/OEL/Stenlund/Taransenko), NYR (Wennberg/Roslovic/Goody), Carolina (Guentzel/Pesce/Teuvo). Boston's better I think (Lindholm/Zadorov; Debrusk/Ulmark out). New Jersey certainly is (youth+Markstrom).

Meanwhile Edmonton added Skinner, Arvidsson while retaining Henrique, Janmark, and Perry, losing Foegele and Campbell (addition by subtraction).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I was very, very impressed with Broberg in the playoffs. Having to come on in the CF is no easy task mentally.

I know there was talk of him being moved earlier in the year (and @Hodge wanted him), but the fact that Edmonton didn't move him makes me think that they know they have a good player on their hands.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I was very, very impressed with Broberg in the playoffs. Having to come on in the CF is no easy task mentally.

I know there was talk of him being moved earlier in the year (and @Hodge wanted him), but the fact that Edmonton didn't move him makes me think that they know they have a good player on their hands.
Cautionary tale for fans who will want to jump off the Sam Dickinson bandwagon in the coming years. I've already seen a few instances of this based on a 4v4/3v3 dev camp scrimmage lol.

These big toolsy defensemen take longer to figure out what works and what doesn't in the NHL but if they ever put it all together, watch out.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Cautionary tale for fans who will want to jump off the Sam Dickinson bandwagon in the coming years. I've already seen a few instances of this based on a 4v4/3v3 dev camp scrimmage lol.

These big toolsy defensemen take longer to figure out what works and what doesn't in the NHL but if they ever put it all together, watch out.
I think if you offer sheet 2x$4.3 Edmonton can’t match that. Then you can trade Ferraro for a late first to recover the pick.

Dickinson
Broberg
Muk

That is a great long term depth on the left side. I believe Muk has also played his off side before too.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think if you offer sheet 2x$4.3 Edmonton can’t match that. Then you can trade Ferraro for a late first to recover the pick.

Dickinson
Broberg
Muk

That is a great long term depth on the left side. I believe Muk has also played his off side before too.
Broberg-Rutta
Walman-Emberson
Thrun/Shak-Benning

Ferraro to Carolina for draft picks. Vlasic to the Doug Wilson compound in Scottsdale.

I agree. In 3-4 years a left side of Dickinson, Broberg and Mukhamadullin could be a real problem for the rest of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad