Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
My issue with this is, if the Sharks really are going to take their BPA at 14, and you make this trade, then that ends up being a forward... I mean, there has to be a limit somewhere...
Not exactly. Having a bunch of talented forwards in the pipeline right now doesn’t mean they’ll all stick around.

Just off the top of my head, here are some more recent 1-1 young forwards with pedigree for young defensemen with pedigree (I know I’m forgetting others, but this is what I thought of it):

Seth Jones for RyJo
Sergachev for Drouin
Byram for Mittlestandt
Drysdale for Gauthier

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m really genuinely curious to see what McGroarty actually returns. The range is what we’d be willing to give up (Ferraro+33) to what Winnipeg fans expect (14+Mukhamadullin). I’ll split the difference and say if it gets done, I’ll bet on it being Musty+33. Don’t think it happens, but that’s where I think value would actually be at.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I’m really genuinely curious to see what McGroarty actually returns. The range is what we’d be willing to give up (Ferraro+33) to what Winnipeg fans expect (14+Mukhamadullin). I’ll split the difference and say if it gets done, I’ll bet on it being Musty+33. Don’t think it happens, but that’s where I think value would actually be at.
Would we want to do that? Am I overvaluing Musty in my head? I feel like I want to see where that guy ends up.

Reactions: Sandisfan

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Is mcgroaty even that good, I get he had a good season and all and was a high pick but he is no where near cutter Gautier or the value I've been hearing around here imo. I kinda have always viewed him as more of a middle six wing if he hits. Could be way off tho

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Is mcgroaty even that good, I get he had a good season and all and was a high pick but he is no where near cutter Gautier or the value I've been hearing around here imo. I kinda have always viewed him as more of a middle six wing if he hits. Could be way off tho

Frosh year: 18-21-39 in 39 games
Soph year: 16-36-52 in 36 games
for a guy known to not skate well

This looks awfully like:

Frosh year: 16-29-45 in 41 games
Soph year: 23-33-56 in 43 games
for a guy known to not skate well

The former is McG. The latter is....

Joe Pavelski.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
And someone just posted on the main board that a guy within the Jets organization said that SJ, Ottawa and Columbus are all in on him...
We can take Nate Schmidt back as a cap dump.

Maybe something like Ferraro, 53rd overall and our 2025 2nd for McGroarty and Schmidt.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
McGroarty's skating profile doesn't really match anything that Grier's targeted the last couple years. I don't think there's a particularly bad skater amongst his draft picks and reclamation projects so far. I think the two higher 2nds are as much as I'd be willing to give up for McGroarty right now.

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
If the Jets are interested in a deal around Ferraro, I hope the Sharks find a way to make it work. Not really interested seeing the sharks in a trade any 1sts. Maybe if the Jets love a prospect at the end of day one, they would take 33 straight up? But then we’d also be interested in fallers haha

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If the Jets are interested in a deal around Ferraro, I hope the Sharks find a way to make it work. Not really interested seeing the sharks in a trade any 1sts. Maybe if the Jets love a prospect at the end of day one, they would take 33 straight up? But then we’d also be interested in fallers haha

That's why I pitched the idea of 2025 2nd straight up for McG. That pick projects to be a very high 2nd, essentially a late 1st, and might be better than anything OTT or CBJ would ever offer up for McG. And doesn't mess with any of our collection of 1sts and 2nds this year. I'd rather trade the 2025 2nd than 2024 33rd. I feel like this draft could be our version of Dallas 2017's 1st and 2nd round. I'd rather not mess with those picks and offer the Jets our 2025 2nd.

Last edited:

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
We can take Nate Schmidt back as a cap dump.

Maybe something like Ferraro, 53rd overall and our 2025 2nd for McGroarty and Schmidt.
This is actually pretty reasonable and astute.

Personally, I’d hope for Ferraro, 42 & 53 for McGroarty & Schmidt.

Schmidt sounds like more of the same (Rutta, Burroughs, etc.) so I wouldn’t be opposed to a buyout which isn’t that bad.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
McGroarty's skating profile doesn't really match anything that Grier's targeted the last couple years. I don't think there's a particularly bad skater amongst his draft picks and reclamation projects so far. I think the two higher 2nds are as much as I'd be willing to give up for McGroarty right now.
If in fact we are in on McGroarty, I’m guessing Grier isn’t against it.?

Reactions: ChompChomp

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Basically I think Grier only makes a trade here if he sees it as getting really good value for a young player with scoring upside. We're in the position of strength, odd as it may feel to say that.

I'd say the appeal, too, is that with Celebrini accelerating our timeline a little bit, it wouldn't hurt to bring in someone who's a little farther along in their development curve compared to guys being drafted (and not at the top of the draft) this year.

Plus getting a potential scoring winger before Friday night would help solidify Grier's perspective with 14--less of a need for Eiserman, that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad