Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t really want McGroarty even if it is for Ferraro straight up.

The Sharks don’t need to add another top 9 rookie into their roster. Celebrini and Smith are enough. Surround them with expensive cap dumps that expire in less that 3 years so that they will have infinite cap when those two need their 8 year extensions.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Why are we the ones adding sweeteners to Ferraro for McGroarty?

A much better prospect in Gauthier was just traded for a much worse roster D in Drysdale along with a 2nd, at this stage I think it's the Jets who add if they want a genuine roster player for a prospect who really doesn't seem to have anything close to star potential and is using his leverage to get out of their system anyway

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Why are we the ones adding sweeteners to Ferraro for McGroarty?

A much better prospect in Gauthier was just traded for a much worse roster D in Drysdale along with a 2nd, at this stage I think it's the Jets who add if they want a genuine roster player for a prospect who really doesn't seem to have anything close to star potential and is using his leverage to get out of their system anyway
Drysdale is much younger with much more pedigree and team control than Ferraro. We’re adding a pick (and maybe a Bordeleau) to any McGroarty deal.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I don’t really want McGroarty even if it is for Ferraro straight up.

The Sharks don’t need to add another top 9 rookie into their roster. Celebrini and Smith are enough. Surround them with expensive cap dumps that expire in less that 3 years so that they will have infinite cap when those two need their 8 year extensions.
I’ve read that McGroarty isn’t fighting going to the AHL. Just wants to sign and have a sincere path to the NHL.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Drysdale is much younger with much more pedigree and team control than Ferraro. We’re adding a pick (and maybe a Bordeleau) to any McGroarty deal.
He's younger with better pedigree but he's never demonstrated competence at an NHL level to anh degree, not even as much as Ferraro did as a rookie

A player like Ferraro might have real value to Winnipeg, they want someone they think is ready to contribute right now, I wouldn't add to him to get a middling prospect, I'd rather trade him alone for a pick

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
He's younger with better pedigree but he's never demonstrated competence at an NHL level to anh degree, not even as much as Ferraro did as a rookie

A player like Ferraro might have real value to Winnipeg, they want someone they think is ready to contribute right now, I wouldn't add to him to get a middling prospect, I'd rather trade him alone for a pick
“Middling prospect” is pretty far off imo.

-14th overall pick in 2022.
-91 points in 75 NCAA games.
-Just had 9 points in 7 WJC games captaining USA to gold.
-20 years old.
-6’1.
-205 lbs.

Wheeler from The Athletic listed McGroarty as the 18th best drafted prospect in back on March 4th. (Paywall)

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
The more I think about it, I come to the conclusion that Ferraro will be dealt at the draft. The Sharks need to revamp their blue line and open spots in both the NHL and AHL. He has more value to a club wanting to compete than he does to the Sharks. I think they could get a 1st for Ferraro + 3rd which I would take all day long. I also think he could be moved with either 14 to move up into the top 7 or with 33 to move into the teens.

His contract with the cap going up is now a positive for a #5 defenseman.
Hard not to think this is even more true after today's trade. Our cup overrunneth with LD.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

That isn’t how trade value works though…

He’s a 6th overall pick RHD prospect. He’s always going to have more value than someone that’s shown close to their ceiling as a 2/3 tweener because his ceiling is a top pairing RHD.

It isn’t about where they’re at right now. It’s about where they’re going to be or projected to be.

Reactions: weastern bias

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Drysdale sucks but he’s younger, cheaper, right-handed, and most importantly a former top-10 pick. Like it or not, that stuff means a lot to GMs.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
“Middling prospect” is pretty far off imo.

-14th overall pick in 2022.
-91 points in 75 NCAA games.
-Just had 9 points in 7 WJC games captaining USA to gold.
-20 years old.
-6’1.
-205 lbs.

Wheeler from The Athletic listed McGroarty as the 18th best drafted prospect in back on March 4th. (Paywall)

AND

Frosh year: 18-21-39 in 39 games
Soph year: 16-36-52 in 36 games
for a guy known to not skate well

This looks awfully like:

Frosh year: 16-29-45 in 41 games
Soph year: 23-33-56 in 43 games
for a guy known to not skate well

The former is McG. The latter is....

Joe Pavelski.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I should add, Rutger only has 24 PIM in 75 NCAA games, 18 as a freshman, 6 as a sophomore. (basically 3 minor penalties in 36 games!) Love a disciplined player a la Marleau. If he can be had for Ferraro + spare change, you do it and figure out the rest later.

P.S. As a bonus, he played with Will Smith in 21-22 for NTDP. Probably a ton of familiarity there.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Re: McGroarty, I have concerns about his skating. For Ferraro and a later 2nd, I do it as I think he’s got a high floor (even with his skating concerns). Some are saying he’s worth the pick he was drafted in 2022 which would be our 14th overall pick. That’s too rich for me.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Re: McGroarty, I have concerns about his skating. For Ferraro and a later 2nd, I do it as I think he’s got a high floor (even with his skating concerns). Some are saying he’s worth the pick he was drafted in 2022 which would be our 14th overall pick. That’s too rich for me.
I'd do Ferraro and either 42 or 53 or both but I wouldn't move 14 or 33 for McGroarty even if he's probably worth that. The Jets are in no position to command a mid-round 1st for a player that probably won't sign with them.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'd do Ferraro and either 42 or 53 or both but I wouldn't move 14 or 33 for McGroarty even if he's probably worth that. The Jets are in no position to command a mid-round 1st for a player that probably won't sign with them.

100% agree. Ferraro + 53 is what I'd offer and challenge Winnipeg to get better or just pull the trigger. The problem for many other teams re: McG is that good teams won't have an NHL spot for him, so if a good team trades for him, he may just refuse to sign an ELC. A good team can't risk trading for him and he just decides to do the same thing to that team.

If the Sharks trade for McG, they can essentially wink-wink promise him an NHL spot or just simply promise him a fair chance in camp. I suspect the Sharks trading for McG would lead to McG fairly quickly signing his ELC.

In other words, the pool of who would even want to acquire McG is limited by the fact that McG wants to be in the NHL this upcoming season and many teams can't even come close to promising that. That cuts his trade value.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If greier wants mcgroaty then he needs to jam up wpg like DW did to Chicago . Low ball them with the threat he'll overpay on a Perfetti offer sheet. Wpg cannot match without making another move now that this demelo deal is done, and probably doesn't want to be out two young forwards

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If greier wants mcgroaty then he needs to jam up wpg like DW did to Chicago . Low ball them with the threat he'll overpay on a Perfetti offer sheet. Wpg cannot match without making another move now that this demelo deal is done, and probably doesn't want to be out two young forwards
The situation is a little different because mcgroaty is an ELC so any cap issues wont push them to move him.

The best thing we can do is offer them useful things hence Ferraro and a prospect.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
100% agree. Ferraro + 53 is what I'd offer and challenge Winnipeg to get better or just pull the trigger. The problem for many other teams re: McG is that good teams won't have an NHL spot for him, so if a good team trades for him, he may just refuse to sign an ELC. A good team can't risk trading for him and he just decides to do the same thing to that team.

If the Sharks trade for McG, they can essentially wink-wink promise him an NHL spot or just simply promise him a fair chance in camp. I suspect the Sharks trading for McG would lead to McG fairly quickly signing his ELC.

In other words, the pool of who would even want to acquire McG is limited by the fact that McG wants to be in the NHL this upcoming season and many teams can't even come close to promising that. That cuts his trade value.
You’re very big on these wink-wink promises 😂. Wink-wink promise to Warsofsky, wink-wink promise to McGroarty, who will be wink-winked next…stay tuned 😉 😉

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It seems like McGroarty’s issue with Winnipeg is that he’s mad the Jets wouldn’t let him burn a year of his ELC in the spring, same exact scenario as Cutter Gauthier. Which means that the guy will only sign with a team that guarantees him an NHL spot next season. Do we really want three average sized 18, 19, and 20 year olds in our lineup? I don’t think McGroarty makes much sense for us, never mind that I think he’s an overrated player.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
It seems like McGroarty’s issue with Winnipeg is that he’s mad the Jets wouldn’t let him burn a year of his ELC in the spring, same exact scenario as Cutter Gauthier. Which means that the guy will only sign with a team that guarantees him an NHL spot next season. Do we really want three average sized 18, 19, and 20 year olds in our lineup? I don’t think McGroarty makes much sense for us, never mind that I think he’s an overrated player.
I don't really care about that but I don't think the player makes sense based on what grier wants and what the lineup needs

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’d say 6’1 200+ is more than average sized on his end. I think he’s a Dustin Brown tier player overall. 2/3 guy with loads of leadership traits. He’d expand the young core and probably be better than what we get with the pick received in return for Ferraro (and the 2nds).

He’s also already 20 and therefore not a slide candidate. Whether he’s in the NHL or AHL, he’s burning a year. So no need to guarantee anything except a contract.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I’d say 6’1 200+ is more than average sized on his end. I think he’s a Dustin Brown tier player overall. 2/3 guy with loads of leadership traits. He’d expand the young core and probably be better than what we get with the pick received in return for Ferraro (and the 2nds).

He’s also already 20 and therefore not a slide candidate. Whether he’s in the NHL or AHL, he’s burning a year. So no need to guarantee anything except a contract.

Well said. Of course Grier wouldn't promise anything, just like we heard from Smith's agent that Smith wasn't "promised" an NHL spot this upcoming season. But McG isn't going to sign an ELC unless he thinks he's essentially a lock to be on the NHL team. Not a promise or guarantee of course, but it seems like Grier is a straight shooter with the players and would be a straight shooter with McG if the Sharks acquired his rights.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Nice idea. I think in general Perfetti is an offer sheet candidate for the Sharks. Pavel Dorofeyev of VGK too, who you might even be able to steal away without any draft pick comp and without a match (offering an AAV of $1,511,701). If any team deserves to lose an RFA through an offer sheet, it's the Bronze Knights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad