Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The tank is over.
Realistically, it is not. It's the next phase where you have young talent that needs development, but no one is expecting the team to compete next year. If you are, you will be disappointed. The goal in all of this is to build a culture and core that will compete for an extended period. It's hard to be patient, and objectively evaluate where your roster is at. If you struggle with either of those you'll turn into Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Realistically, it is not. It's the next phase where you have young talent that needs development, but no one is expecting the team to compete next year. If you are, you will be disappointed. The goal in all of this is to build a culture and core that will compete for an extended period. It's hard to be patient, and objectively evaluate where your roster is at. If you struggle with either of those you'll turn into Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa.
We could have a massive improvement and still finish last. A 20 point improvement would have just barely allowed us to surpass Columbus for last in the East.

We have a very, very long way to go. Realistically, we have no defensemen worth a damn, no reliable goalies, and half of our forward group doesn't belong in the NHL. We will make improvements next year, but there is far too much to change in a year.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
The tank is over.
First time in a long while i will tune into every game or record if i cant. I see us still finishing bottom 3, top 5 for sure this year. Then a top ten finish the following. We should be able to acquire some great talent along with vegas 1st and whatever else we decide to do. It will be exciting this year, but year 3 is when they can possibly make an honest push to the playoffs if Grier and company play their hand well.

Reactions: DG93

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Really hoping the sharks can get NJ at 10 or Buffalo at 11 to budge. I think those are our best shots to move up, as well as giving the least assets to do so. Nj is short on picks next couple years, Buffalo probably has the best prospect pool in the league. Lets see what they can do.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Best part about this is 2 years ago i felt like we were going no where fast. 3 years passed no hope, dead beat contracts. Now we can see the light. that;s the best part. Im exciting to watch this season and whats coming because i feel we are at least heading toward an attainable goal now.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Really hoping the sharks can get NJ at 10 or Buffalo at 11 to budge. I think those are our best shots to move up, as well as giving the least assets to do so. Nj is short on picks next couple years, Buffalo probably has the best prospect pool in the league. Lets see what they can do.
I think with NJ trading next year's first for Markstrom means they're not likely to trade this year's anymore.

Who knows about Buffalo, but they'd want a player who can contribute now, and we don't have many of those.

I'm guessing we stay at 14 with a very outside shot at a trade down but not below 18. If they thought they'd be fine with whichever of Helenius, MBN, Hage, Solberg, Jiricek, Chernyshov, Eiserman is still available at 21, maybe? But then I could see them just picking the guy they like the most.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think with NJ trading next year's first for Markstrom means they're not likely to trade this year's anymore.

Who knows about Buffalo, but they'd want a player who can contribute now, and we don't have many of those.

I'm guessing we stay at 14 with a very outside shot at a trade down but not below 18. If they thought they'd be fine with whichever of Helenius, MBN, Hage, Solberg, Jiricek, Chernyshov, Eiserman is still available at 21, maybe? But then I could see them just picking the guy they like the most.
Not necessarily. They may covet more picks now since they're not exactly gonna be getting someone at 10 to throw in right away.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

i was thinking of trading 14 to NJ plus. Not that they would give up the pick all together. Depending who they covet, they may be willing to move a couple spots and pick up an extra second as they do not have one. Who knows what their board looks like. I agree likely staying at 14. Just seems with having 33 and 42, if there is a willing dance partner a couple of spots up could get us 1 of the D. So close but so far.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Hear me now, quote me later that the Sharks will get NYR's first for their third and a prospect.
Maybe with Trouba coming to SJ as well, which would ultimately make the trade Goodrow, Trouba, 1st round pick for Gushchin and a 3rd or something like that. I could see that happening or nothing happens at all lol

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
You're right in one sense, the intentional plummeting down the standings is done

We're not done being bad though, not because we're tanking, but due to the fallout of tanking

This roster just lacks the talent to compete, especially on defense
Yeah I imagine we finish at least bottom 3 next year and then make real moves at improving. That will be the test for MG though - Finding guys instead of just tanking roster players.

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
We could have a massive improvement and still finish last. A 20 point improvement would have just barely allowed us to surpass Columbus for last in the East.

We have a very, very long way to go. Realistically, we have no defensemen worth a damn, no reliable goalies, and half of our forward group doesn't belong in the NHL. We will make improvements next year, but there is far too much to change in a year.
Putting it in perspective makes it all the more hilarious just how bad we were in 2024

Vegas was the bottom seed in the playoffs in the west with 98 points

We were 51 points behind them

We had 47 points

The worst playoff team had MORE THAN DOUBLE our point total

This tank was awesome, truly generational work

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
You're right in one sense, the intentional plummeting down the standings is done

We're not done being bad though, not because we're tanking, but due to the fallout of tanking

This roster just lacks the talent to compete, especially on defense
The roster will get better when the young guys improve enough to the point that they're taking spots instead of the Sharks scrambling to find veterans that either have no choice in the matter or are willing to come here for other reasons (more playing time, more money, opportunity to not just play on a checking line). Right now, most of the guys in our system are too young and too inexperienced to do that other than Celebrini and Smith. As Celebrini and Smith gain experience, build their bodies up, and need less sheltering and can take on tougher challenges, it'll be easier to integrate those other young forwards into the team.

I imagine that building out the roster will be a lot easier next offseason than this offseason because the team will be a lot further down that road and there will be more young guys that have a legitimate chance to take a role on the big club. This year is really all about making sure Smith and Celebrini are put in the best possible situations to develop while still understanding that the Sharks still need to add high draft picks to build out their prospect pool.

Reactions: Jargon and DG93

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
At the risk of accidentally summoning Hodge, I suspect Bordeleau isn’t coming back next season.

I think Grier is going to do his best to build a bigger, hard working grindy bottom 6 that’s got good defense and is annoying to play against while his top 6 will be a mix of our high end rookies and a couple of older top 6 vets.

Not sure where Bords fits there.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
At the risk of accidentally summoning Hodge, I suspect Bordeleau isn’t coming back next season.

I think Grier is going to do his best to build a bigger, hard working grindy bottom 6 that’s got good defense and is annoying to play against while his top 6 will be a mix of our high end rookies and a couple of older top 6 vets.

Not sure where Bords fits there.
Same for Gushchin. Guessing they’re added as sweeteners to deal for an NHL piece. Bordeleau did get praise from scouts for how his game rounded out this year, but I just don’t see where he fits into this roster as constructed as a LW. Feel like Grier has a very active week ahead of him heading into the draft.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Same for Gushchin. Guessing they’re added as sweeteners to deal for an NHL piece. Bordeleau did get praise from scouts for how his game rounded out this year, but I just don’t see where he fits into this roster as constructed as a LW. Feel like Grier has a very active week ahead of him heading into the draft.

Which is sad because I like Gush a lot and want to at least see him given a chance on the team. He’d be fun with Celebrini…

But yeah I think you’re probably right. I expect one of them gone, if not both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad