Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I can't help but this the handshake deal might be based on if Goodrow clears waivers. That seems to make more sense.

I suspect the teams have worked out a trade for Goodrow but NYR are going to see if anyone else is willing to take him and his contract for free, if not, then they pull the pre-arranged trade deal with the Sharks.
They can’t because Goodrow would block a trade. The handshake agreement is a way to circumvent Goodrow’s NTC. The PA and league would not like it and definitely investigate if the Sharks and NYR make a trade after Goodrow is claimed. Unless there is proof they had a deal in place when the waiver claim happened they will get away with circumventing his NTC.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Ya know, you're right. Thank christ Labanc is not on this team anymore.
We can talk shit about Barclay all we want, but at least we'll get effort. Nothing more infuriating than guys like Kevin and even worse, Bar, just floating around, not giving two shits. That's a bad look for them on a team trying to change the culture.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Honestly, I'm impressed with the balance Grier is striking building out the team. The Dellandrea trade gives us long-term stability at center and it's clear he's building from the middle out.

Pulling in these hard working bottom-6 guys isn't going to endanger the rebuild, and they set an identity for the future. I wouldn't want Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin as the second line of the future, but there won't be any passengers on a team with those three guys. Bring back Duclair and they might even be fun to watch!

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Honestly, I'm impressed with the balance Grier is striking building out the team. The Dellandrea trade gives us long-term stability at center and it's clear he's building from the middle out.

Pulling in these hard working bottom-6 guys isn't going to endanger the rebuild, and they set an identity for the future. I wouldn't want Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin as the second line of the future, but there won't be any passengers on a team with those three guys. Bring back Duclair and they might even be fun to watch!
Balance. What a concept.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

They play hard, but they aren't very good. That's a collection of 13th forwards.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
They play hard, but they aren't very good. That's a collection of 13th forwards.
That's kind of...fine by me? They don't need to be good now, and none of those guys are on long deals. If they play hard, instill good habits in the kids and have fun, what's the downside? We keep picking high to draft talent, we as fans have underdogs to root for, and the boys have fun playing hockey. There's a plan in place and if the team can stick to it without the misery and recriminations we had in 2020-22, I'm all for it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Claiming Goodrow is a perfect move? Lol.
Goodrow is exactly what we needed in our bottom six and we acquired him without giving up an asset or giving out excessive term in free agency.

Grier even figured out a clever way to get around his NTC and will likely be able to trade him for an asset in 2.5 years if we're not in the playoff race.

Like I said, perfect move. Just like turning the 4th rounder we acquired in exchange for a waiver claim into a young right shot center with some pedigree in Dellandrea.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Goodrow is exactly what we needed in our bottom six and we acquired him without giving up an asset or giving out excessive term in free agency.

Grier even figured out a clever way to get around his NTC and will likely be able to trade him for an asset in 2.5 years if we're not in the playoff race.

Like I said, perfect move. Just like turning the 4th rounder we acquired in exchange for a waiver claim into a young right shot center with some pedigree in Dellandrea.
What makes him perfect for our bottom 6? Sincere question - All stats say he is terrible at hockey. Because he has a good reputation and used to be a good PKer?

I'm sure paying him for 2.5 years will be worth the 6th rounder we can fetch years from now at the deadline lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What makes him perfect for our bottom 6? Sincere question - All stats say he is terrible at hockey. Because he has a good reputation and used to be a good PKer?

I'm sure paying him for 2.5 years will be worth the 6th rounder we can fetch years from now at the deadline lol
The only thing needed to be a perfect player is that goodrow is 6'2 and 200+ lbs, no hickey skills are needed if you are over 6'0.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's played 75 playoff games since last being a Shark. That's huge for a team as young as this roster is going to be.

He wasn't picked up to score points...

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
He's played 75 playoff games since last being a Shark. That's huge for a team as young as this roster is going to be.

He wasn't picked up to score points...
Guess i am bias against the bad hockey players that played on good teams argument. Adam Burish didn't get us over the hump. Barclay was a good depth piece on good teams until his play fell off a cliff.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
We are no where near "the hump" so there's no need to worry about Goodrow not getting us over it
Guess I could have said did nothing to help the team, didn't bring his "winning ways", etc. I would rather sign good players.

In the end it's not a big deal - we were going to finish near the bottom and this doesn't change that either way. It's just bad asset management IMO

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Guess I could have said did nothing to help the team, didn't bring his "winning ways", etc. I would rather sign good players.
Good players have options and sign with better teams. When you're far and away the worst team in the league, you get guys who aren't in demand or get crowded out on their own team by better players or who are looking for a bigger role than a better team would offer them. What you don't want to do is overpay for mediocre players, which I can sense is the appetite that many people complaining about the Goodrow move want (or they have deluded themselves into thinking good players would come here for a market contract because they want to play with Celebrini and Smith). I'd rather get a guy that's not that good but can fulfill a role without giving up any assets and can be dumped at anytime rather than vastly overpay a better player who is going to clog up my cap space by the time my young players become good enough that better players actually want to come to my team.

And that's not an endorsement of this particular move. I think unless you know that he brings certain intangibles that are going to vastly improve your locker room, they probably could get a better veteran to be an upgrade over the 4th line/penalty kill forwards they had last year. It's more than people don't want to accept that for the time being we're waiting for the young guys to get experienced enough and good enough that they are the guys who are filling some of these empty slots and so the most important quality of the guys we're getting for probably the next two seasons are guys that can be easily moved or dumped once there's someone young that's both better and ready to take their spot.

Reactions: timorous me

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This site refreshing mid message might be the thing that drives me to my death.

The more I think about it the more I think Smith should be in the top 6, with Granlund — like Eklund starting with Hertl.

So, something like:

Smith - Granlund - Zetterlund
Eklund - Celebrini - Vet FA scorer
Bordeleau - Dellandrea - Kostin
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin (this is a good 4th line)
G. Smith

Celebrini’s line will become the 1st line quicker than we think, especially if they get an OK winger. Smith has kind of a similar player to learn from in Granlund - and if Couture comes back, he can take the center spot on that line with Granny either playing wing on the second line or 3C.

I don’t hate these lines. Lots of youth, guys who can play some defense, rookies have some support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad