Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Celebrini-Couture-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Cobble together a 4th line with UFAs and Cuda players.
No. That’s a 4th line.

I’ll wait to see how this plays out first. That being said, if Grier takes on that Goodrow contract without getting a quality asset for doing his buddy Drury a favor, I will consider that bad management.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gross. Not only is taking Goodrow off of NYR’s hands for free dumb as hell, but if this whole sham is arranged to get around Goodrow’s NTC then I want him even less.
He's still an elite PKer, veteran leader, two rings, plays the right way, etc. and is only overpaid by $1.5M/yr at most which we can easily absorb.

It was difficult to get players to sign with the Sharks when we were good. These kinds of shenanigans may be necessary to add anyone of note until Celebrini becomes a selling point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
we cannot be on Goodrow LNTC because the NHLPA would absolutely put a stop to that. Like no chance Sharks do that right?
Nothing is stopping the rangers and Sharks from doing this potential rumour. Is it greasy and not really fitting Griers whole supposed players GM mantra? Yes very much so.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nothing is stopping the rangers and Sharks from doing this potential rumour. Is it greasy and not really fitting Griers whole supposed players GM mantra? Yes very much so.
I mean the NHLPA would absolutely have an issue with it and the deal would end up getting reversed and probably draft pick penalties. It’s gotta be something else.

This is also if there is a follow up deal that the Sharks and Rangers do.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's not greasy at all. If Goodrow didn't want this exact scenario to happen his agent should have negotiated a NMC in his contract. Tough luck.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean the NHLPA would absolutely have an issue with it and the deal would end up getting reversed and probably draft pick penalties. It’s gotta be something else.

This is also if there is a follow up deal that the Sharks and Rangers do.
He has a NTC not a NMC, nothing the NHLPA can do if it happens.

And if there is a follow up move that is apparently a handshake deal, the only ones that will know it was is the 2 GM's.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He has a NTC not a NMC, nothing the NHLPA can do if it happens.

And if there is a follow up move that is apparently a handshake deal, the only ones that will know it was is the 2 GM's.
It’s a team taking advantage of a player. This is rather naive if you really don’t believe the PA would have a huge issue.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
My bet is that Grier is simply getting Goodrow for free.

1) The value of cap space has arguably decreased a bit, with the cap going up and teams generally having better structure.
2) Goodrow isn't overpaid by that much.
3) Given how much space the Sharks have, and Grier's general demeanour, I'm guessing that he might settle for goodwill.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It’s a team taking advantage of a player. This is rather naive if you really don’t believe the PA would have a huge issue.
The PA can complain all they want, what is being talked about is 100% within the rules of the CBA they agreed to.

As Hodge said above, if goodrow and his agent didn't wan to play in certain cities they should have negotiated a no move clause which prohibits teams from placing the player on normal waivers.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The PA can complain all they want, what is being talked about is 100% within the rules of the CBA they agreed to.

As Hodge said above, if goodrow and his agent didn't wan to play in certain cities they should have negotiated a no move clause which prohibits teams from placing the player on normal waivers.
On the flip side...if Goodrow didn't want to be in San Jose, why would they want him? It'd be a terrible situation all-around.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This would be teams taking advantage of the waiver wire, which is a collectively bargained system between the league and the PA, and it exists to keep players in the NHL rather than being sent to the minors

This transaction is actually PROTECTING Goodrow from playing in the AHL, no one is being taken advantage of here

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
On the flip side...if Goodrow didn't want to be in San Jose, why would they want him? It'd be a terrible situation all-around.
Like i said it is greasy and goes against what Grier apparently stands for according to the conversation after the Couture comments from the waro hiring conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad