Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would be understanding of Goodrow's desire to not play here and I would facilitate the first deal I could to allow him to compete but if the Rangers are offering 30th overall to take him off their hands, I'm taking that deal. I'd even put him back on waivers the next day to allow a team better than us to take him for free. The team needs to do what's best for them during the rebuild. That's still more important than his own desires.

Reactions: themelkman

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I would be understanding of Goodrow's desire to not play here and I would facilitate the first deal I could to allow him to compete but if the Rangers are offering 30th overall to take him off their hands, I'm taking that deal. I'd even put him back on waivers the next day to allow a team better than us to take him for free. The team needs to do what's best for them during the rebuild. That's still more important than his own desires.
Apparently the Rangers have orders not to trade out of the 1st round because a James Dolan owns the Sphere, lol

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Her article is very speculative though, there’s some belief that they have an agreement… but I don’t really see why. they couldn’t settle on a trade? Even a paltry one? I doubt Grier claims him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The only way I can accept taking on Goodrow from waivers is if we then trade Kunin.

No reason to have both of them around and making far too much for too long.

If Goodrow gets claimed I imagine Kunin doesn't even get qualified.
We can only hope

My bet is that Grier is simply getting Goodrow for free.

1) The value of cap space has arguably decreased a bit, with the cap going up and teams generally having better structure.
2) Goodrow isn't overpaid by that much.
3) Given how much space the Sharks have, and Grier's general demeanour, I'm guessing that he might settle for goodwill.
I would imagine he views this as paying back goodwill. Drury basically got him into the league, which got him this job.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The PA can complain all they want, what is being talked about is 100% within the rules of the CBA they agreed to.

As Hodge said above, if goodrow and his agent didn't wan to play in certain cities they should have negotiated a no move clause which prohibits teams from placing the player on normal waivers.
Brian Burke / Doug Maclean did something similar to acquire Todd Marchant. He nixed a trade to ANA so Maclean put him on waivers for ANA to claim.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
We should not be taking Goodrow for free. The end.

This. Doesn't matter who the player is, taking on almost 4 mil in cap space for 3 years because the team trading the player needs the cap space is gonna cost some assets. Carolina got a 1st for taking on Marleau's contract because the Leafs were desperate for cap space. We should at least be getting a 2nd for the trouble.

Also I don't get all the hate for Kunin. Sure he was overpaid for what he brought but he's no longer under contract and is fine in a 4th line role at 900k-1M.

Reactions: themelkman

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Did we get a more reputable source yet? Maybe someone else knows better, but the New York Post doesn't have the best reputation right?
There’s talk about it on the 33 thoughts podcast or at least the diving. I’m sure they mention it too. Just haven’t listened to it yet.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think the handshake agreement would be to take Goodrow and then also maybe take Trouba in a real trade and the compensation for taking Trouba is higher thanks to already having taken Goodrow off their hands. Or we're trading for Kakko and not giving up anything as a result of taking Goodrow on waivers. Really uncertain what that whole deal looks like.

If we're taking on Goodrow, ideally you ride him out a year and a half, build some value and then move him once a retention slot becomes available next TDL with the Burns contract having expired. Would run into the issue we face now of not having a retention slot for another year and a half, but also don't see obvious candidates to deal barring a UFA we sign this offseason with the plan of flipping them in 18 months (though a guy like that shouldn't be signed to a lofty cap hit anyway that needs loads of retention).

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't think acquiring Goodrow makes Kunin redundant, they occupy very different niches

Goodrow is a quality depth player who provides defense, energy and clutch play

Kunin is a pure energy forechecker who provides nothing else

We can fit both of them on the team, we're not exactly overflowing with talent on the wing right now

He was my neighbor growing up and was a shithead. His whole family was. There's a buried story about him getting arrested in town for some of the most blockheaded stuff imaginable.

No thanks
A young high level athlete getting preferential treatment? No way

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't think Goodrow is actually any good at defense anymore anyway. He hits people and can PK, which is useful, and we have the cap space for his term, but he's not good at 5v5 in any capacity anymore.

He won't actually harm us, given our situation, but I want a nice bribe to take him, because he's really bad.

Reactions: TealManV

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I can't help but this the handshake deal might be based on if Goodrow clears waivers. That seems to make more sense.

I suspect the teams have worked out a trade for Goodrow but NYR are going to see if anyone else is willing to take him and his contract for free, if not, then they pull the pre-arranged trade deal with the Sharks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can't help but this the handshake deal might be based on if Goodrow clears waivers. That seems to make more sense.

I suspect the teams have worked out a trade for Goodrow but NYR are going to see if anyone else is willing to take him and his contract for free, if not, then they pull the pre-arranged trade deal with the Sharks.
The rumor is a claim by SJ not necessarily a deal with SJ.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
The rumor is a claim by SJ not necessarily a deal with SJ.

I read that but it just doesn't make sense to me and its not like the rumour is coming from a top notch NHL source. I think what I laid out makes more sense but I guess we will see.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Believe it would be a way to speed up and circumvent the NTC and then make a deal with the sweetener separate from Goodrow. Essentially make it a 2 part trade (sort of like the Reimer trade with Toronto when we "overpaid" for Polak/Spaling but in reality Reimer was part of it - and it was still an overpay giving up 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd rounders for those 3).

Not sure if Kakko is part of the deal or if there is another cap saving measure like Trouba that NYR will explore to SJ (though I can't see him waiving for SJ). Would guess there is some sort of young player/prospect/draft pick eventually making its way to SJ for the potential 3 year bailout.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I read that but it just doesn't make sense to me and its not like the rumour is coming from a top notch NHL source. I think what I laid out makes more sense but I guess we will see.
Yep we got like a half hour 40 minutes to see if this even is anything!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad