Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think Smith absolutely must be on the first PP. I think no matter how hard the rest of the year will be for him, the power play is where he’ll likely have the most luck translating his game. I think he’s going to get more than 40 pts (not by much though) because of that.

I also do expect Toffoli to end up on Smith’s wing eventually unless Couture is healthy, in which case I can see Smith stapled to his side.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think Smith absolutely must be on the first PP. I think no matter how hard the rest of the year will be for him, the power play is where he’ll likely have the most luck translating his game. I think he’s going to get more than 40 pts (not by much though) because of that.

I also do expect Toffoli to end up on Smith’s wing eventually unless Couture is healthy, in which case I can see Smith stapled to his side.
I think it depends on who else is on the PP1. War may want familiarity so Celebrini would probably play with the same two guys on his line. I don’t know if it’s prudent to have to two rookie playmakers on the sMe
Unit.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think we should decline all powerplays!

(whoops, sorry guys, that's been my mindset the past two years, it's going to be hard to break out of lol)

Yea yea so Celebrini and Smith on PP1 yea sounds good! What's the purpose of a powerplay again?

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think we should decline all powerplays!

(whoops, sorry guys, that's been my mindset the past two years, it's going to be hard to break out of lol)

Yea yea so Celebrini and Smith on PP1 yea sounds good! What's the purpose of a powerplay again?

To waste about 2 minutes and try not to get scored on.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dobson would be the obvious fit and help accelerate the timeline similar to the Askarov trade.

25-26
Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Granlund ($7mil) - Smith - Zetterlund ($5mil)
Bystedt/Musty - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Grundstrom - Goodrow - Graf
Couture (LTIR), xxx ($1mil), xxx ($1mil)

Mukamadulin - Dobson ($10mil)
Walman - Ceci ($6mil)
Ferraro- Benning
Vlassic

Askarov
xxx ($2mil)

This lineup with quick math is around $88 million cap hit including Couture. If they can’t get a 2nd from Ceci or Granlund then why not sign to high cap hit 2 year deals.

Granlund 2x$7mil
Ceci 2x$6mil

This still leaves a clean cap sheet for raises for the expiring ELCs.
I aso think this is the right time to make a move for a player like Dobson if we can pull it off. It accelerates our rebuild without hurting it long term.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
And even then, would still have to be more from NYI for the sheer cost of what Dobson's contract is going to cost. It's why that deal would never be something that happens.

More likely would be something where we'd probably deal with Columbus/Montreal assuming one of them is in the top 3 and give them 1st overall for their 2025 top 3 pick, Jiricek/Reinbacher, and next year's 1st rounder (top 5 protected).

Chicago offered Columbus a 2025 unprotected 1st, and 2025 2nd for 4th overall this year to try and move up for Demidov and was told no. Given Chicago is very likely in the top 5 picks this year, I used Perri's 1-5 average value for the 1st, and 35th overall for the 2nd meaning they gave up surplus value equivalent to the 17th overall pick and still got turned down.

So if you factor in a 1st overall pick, it is going to cost quite a premium to move up. Probably all for nothing though as I would be sort of surprised if the Sharks somehow rattle off back to back 1st overall picks after waiting over 30 years for their first one.
Sorry, just to be clear, you're suggesting:

#1 pick for #2/3 pick + Reinbacher/Jiricek + 1st? You'd have to be out of your mind not to take that running gleefully from the Sharks view. The Habs and Jackets would laugh and hang up immediately.

That has potential to go down (likely would be), the most lopsided trade in NHL history.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Toffoli is going to get PP1 time. He’s our best sniper and only proven 30 goal scorer. If Smith and Celebrini both make PP1 then Eklund moves to PP2. He doesn’t belong as the bumper anyways.
I don't know, I kinda feel like Celebrini and Toffoli play the same spot on the PP, no?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't know, I kinda feel like Celebrini and Toffoli play the same spot on the PP, no?
I feel like they'll be triggers on the opposite handed sides for onetimers, the rundunancy I really see I'd Smith VS Eklund as puck carrying distributors, but I think the multiplicity of looks might actually play in the team's favor to make the PP less predictable with all 4 of them on the same unit, the scissor play at the point will create a lot of confusion for opposing PKs

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I feel like they'll be triggers on the opposite handed sides for onetimers, the rundunancy I really see I'd Smith VS Eklund as puck carrying distributors, but I think the multiplicity of looks might actually play in the team's favor to make the PP less predictable with all 4 of them on the same unit, the scissor play at the point will create a lot of confusion for opposing PKs
I also wouldn't hate keeping the Lund line + Bordeleau/Mukhamadullin on one unit and the new kids unit (Celebrini/Smith/Toffoli/Walman/someone).

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think Smith, Toffoli, and Eklund all belong on the wing during the PP. Smith and Eklund aren’t sturdy enough to play in the middle and your best sniper should be on one of the wings. Celebrini could be best there too but he might also be effective in the high slot. I agree with you that Zetterlund should be the net front on PP1 and Walman should be up top.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I also wouldn't hate keeping the Lund line + Bordeleau/Mukhamadullin on one unit and the new kids unit (Celebrini/Smith/Toffoli/Walman/someone).
It's not the worst idea, though I'd personally prefer to keep all three of Celebrini, Smith and Eklund on PP1 all year no matter what to get them as many reps as possible, even if they go through droughts I'd priorize the development of those 3 over any results we see this season

I think Smith, Toffoli, and Eklund all belong on the wing during the PP. Smith and Eklund aren’t sturdy enough to play in the middle and your best sniper should be on one of the wings. Celebrini could be best there too but he might also be effective in the high slot. I agree with you that Zetterlund should be the net front on PP1 and Walman should be up top.
What's awesome about Celebrini is he can play literally any role we ask of him, he can be the lead distributor on the point or the half-wall, he can play net front, he can be a bumper, he can be the trigger to the point he may already have the best onetimer on the team, he's PP1 no matter what because it doesn't matter what we ask him to do or who he plays with, he will excel in his role

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
IMG_1516.jpeg

Get the best out of Smith to find passes to Toff and Celebrini, Eklund does great work behind the net and can set up tons of combo plays with Celebrini. This sets up easy one timers for Walman from Smith too which puts his best attribute to work. Don’t have tons of grit but Celebrini is going to have to do a lot of the lifting to get pucks off the wall. He’s good at that.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad