2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's great. At the end of the day what does that mean or translate too? Go back over the years and look to see what those results of players who played has been in the NHL. I do not know and would be curious to see.
It means that the people watching the WJC-20 potential squad think these are pretty decent players.
No more and no less.
But it's a good sign when your 18 year old picks are expected to beat out numerous 19 year old picks.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It means that the people watching the WJC-20 potential squad think these are pretty decent players.
No more and no less.
But it's a good sign when your 18 year old picks are expected to beat out numerous 19 year old picks.
Go back to the last 15 years of Flyers prospects playing in this tourny. Where did they end up at the end of the day? Someone has to have this info to share.

Yes it is good they made the team. Better than not. That being said it has no bearing on any future they may have at the NHL level imo.

Also don't care that an 18 year old beat out a 19 year old. Again it means very little if anything at all.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Jett just has to make the team. He was obviously a reach so they are banking he was under sold at the time of the draft but will over deliver now. Sounds like he is off to a good start.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Jett just has to make the team. He was obviously a reach so they are banking he was under sold at the time of the draft but will over deliver now. Sounds like he is off to a good start.
How much of a reach was he? Some had him in the 15-20 range. Others lower. I just do not trust the Flyers finding some diamond in the rough is all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How much of a reach was he? Some had him in the 15-20 range. Others lower. I just do not trust the Flyers finding some diamond in the rough is all.
Wheeler said at least 2 teams were going to take him in the teens. That would put him in that range, probably closer to 15 if there were multiple buyers.

I think it came down to Luchanko v Helenius. Helenius was the "safe' pick, Luchanko the upside pick.

There is something with Buium that caused teams to shy away, it wasn't size, 6'0 200 or so is fine for an offense first D-man. Could be character, medical, a flaw they saw on film. Who knows?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Wheeler said at least 2 teams were going to take him in the teens. That would put him in that range, probably closer to 15 if there were multiple buyers.

I think it came down to Luchanko v Helenius. Helenius was the "safe' pick, Luchanko the upside pick.

There is something with Buium that caused teams to shy away, it wasn't size, 6'0 200 or so is fine for an offense first D-man. Could be character, medical, a flaw they saw on film. Who knows?
Why other teams passed on him I do not really care. The Flyers to me shouldn't have. Now maybe Danny said well this organization cant draft or develop dman so lets pass!!!!

IMO they absolutely drafted for more of a need. Now I do not disagree on the bold being their line of thinking.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015

He also said Buium should have been top 5.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Which is why something will come out eventually why so many teams passed over him.
I agree.

It could be that teams are wary about offensive defensemen with choppy skating strides who aren't big.

They may think his game won't translate.

But I get the feeling there's more to it.

His interview with his parents after getting selected gave off very weird vibes from both him and his family. Even my girlfriend immediately noticed it.

Maybe most likely of all is that teams were worried about his signability. The NCAA factor. Maybe he wanted to be in a certain location and/or told some teams he wouldn't play for them.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I agree.

It could be that teams are wary about offensive defensemen with choppy skating strides who aren't big.

They may think his game won't translate.

But I get the feeling there's more to it.

His interview with his parents after getting selected gave off very weird vibes from both him and his family. Even my girlfriend immediately noticed it.

Maybe most likely of all is that teams were worried about his signability. The NCAA factor. Maybe he wanted to be in a certain location and/or told some teams he wouldn't play for them.

What kind of vibe?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What kind of vibe?
It was a vibe of weirdness. Something was off. His personality seemed weird. The way his mom acted was weird. Why do your parents join you for the interview, anyway?

It could be nothing, but both my girlfriend and I looked at each other at the same time, without saying anything, and gave each other that look that something is really odd about this family and this interview.

Reactions: renberg and thedjpd

Sizzle Chest

Aug 22, 2020
Interesting. He might be shy and appreciated the support of his parents? Maybe he fell because he is introverted and not an alpha dog? IDK. Regardless, given what he shows on the ice, I’d have preferred if the Flyers picked him. It still stings that they passed.

That said, I have no choice but to cheer for Jett and hope the Flyers made a less than terrible….maybe even somewhat good decision.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Interesting. He might be shy and appreciated the support of his parents? Maybe he fell because he is introverted and not an alpha dog? IDK. Regardless, given what he shows on the ice, I’d have preferred if the Flyers picked him. It still stings that they passed.

That said, I have no choice but to cheer for Jett and hope the Flyers made a less than terrible….maybe even somewhat good decision.
They're probably a great family. His parents clearly cared a ton about him. Nevertheless, there was a strange vibe. Maybe part of it was cultural? I think his parents are both Israeli immigrants.

I just wonder if some teams felt that weird personality vibe from him in combine interviews.

Probably nothing. Just a thought that occurred to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy