2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I was going to fact check but saw something plainly stating he was the youngest so never checked. I am on the same page in terms of draft position and making the right pick. I would have 100% picked Buium even if I never wanted him in the first place.

Watching Jett I see a lot of raw talent and most important to me, speed and IQ. Those are two things you can’t teach. Then you add his age and combine results - there appears to be a standout player here. Or at least there could be a standout player. I guess he could have peaked as a 17 yo but I don’t think that’s fair given he is near the youngest player drafted. Several. Guys are almost a full year older like Yakemchuck and Levshunov. Many are 8+ months like Demidov.

Jett said that instead of playing video games during covid he worked out. That’s why he is so strong. You can certainly get stronger if that’s what’s good for your game. To me his IQ, want to get better, age, and already present skill projects well. I think he will be better than Frost
Is that a high bar?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost was a mid-May birthday and went from 62 points in his draft year, to 112 points in his D+1 season. Since Lucahnko is better, I'm penciling in a 120 point season for him.

Frost currently has the 18th most points of any player drafted in 2017, 9 behind Tolvanen.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Frost was a mid-May birthday and went from 62 points in his draft year, to 112 points in his D+1 season. Since Lucahnko is better, I'm penciling in a 120 point season for him.

Frost currently has the 18th most points of any player drafted in 2017, 9 behind Tolvanen.

What was the team around Frost like? Did it change to the D+1 year season?

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Frost's team was the best team in the OHL (on paper at least - and by a large margin). Makes point production a lot easier compared to a back of the pack team. Put Jett on a contender (which hopefully happens via trade at some point this year), and we'd probably see a 100+ production (or close depending if he makes the WJHC). Seems to me, there betting on him having more production when his surrounding cast isn't as poor as it is now.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

I like scouching alot for years now. But in this Video he counters himself. He gave the flyers a 2c rating and at the same time he said they drafted for defense first big players who are a safer picks! Yet if we look what the flyers need its the absolute opposite of what the flyers have done. So if the flyers would be Florida or tampa i could understand the rating and if the flyers picked late in every round i also could understand the rating but the picks were in the middle. And jett is projected from most as a middle 6 Center with good work ethic and speed. Thats not good enough for the middle of the first round when you arent a contender already!

But who am i? Iam just a negative german hater who wants to see the flyers world burning!

Lets be clear! Jett will be Scheifle, Gill will be Coburn, Berglund will be Primeau and so on! This franchise is in a very good way to be a nhl Power House for years! Buckle in Guys!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Frost's team was the best team in the OHL (on paper at least - and by a large margin). Makes point production a lot easier compared to a back of the pack team. Put Jett on a contender (which hopefully happens via trade at some point this year), and we'd probably see a 100+ production (or close depending if he makes the WJHC). Seems to me, there betting on him having more production when his surrounding cast isn't as poor as it is now.
Good point, C0DITH, although this works both ways. Frost was 1C on a top team and was a key driver to the Greyhounds being at the top of the league. It is a big positive that Luchanko has shown that he can put up points on a talent-poor team and reasonable to conclude that Luchanko's production would rise on a stronger roster, but he would have to prove that he belongs on a top line and supplant the 1C or 2C.

I like scouching alot for years now. But in this Video he counters himself. He gave the flyers a 2c rating and at the same time he said they drafted for defense first big players who are a safer picks! Yet if we look what the flyers need its the absolute opposite of what the flyers have done. So if the flyers would be Florida or tampa i could understand the rating and if the flyers picked late in every round i also could understand the rating but the picks were in the middle. And jett is projected from most as a middle 6 Center with good work ethic and speed. Thats not good enough for the middle of the first round when you arent a contender already!

But who am i? Iam just a negative german hater who wants to see the flyers world burning!

Lets be clear! Jett will be Scheifle, Gill will be Coburn, Berglund will be Primeau and so on! This franchise is in a very good way to be a nhl Power House for years! Buckle in Guys!
iu

Buckled in!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

"I know his stats aren't blow you away good, but SSM really divvies up their minutes between their top 2 lines -- 5v5 and PP. Also, I watched Frost mainly play with Senyshyn. FWIW I think he's a pretty iffy IQ, tunnel vision guy, and not great in the o zone. I'm sure he helped his assist totals on the season, but he didn't really contribute much else to the line and wasn't particularly good in the cycle. Maybe playing with Katchouk or someone next year would be a better fit for Morgan."

I wrote that the day he was drafted.

It doesn't always work this neatly. Better teams also can mean more mouths to feed. The Greyhounds were the 3rd best team in the OHL and the 4th highest scoring team Frost's draft year (2016-17). He had 62 points in 67 games, and only 2 player were over a point/game. It was very spread.

The 2017-18 team was a powerhouse that was virtually the identical team as the year before, sans a couple graduates. They scored 30 more goals, and Frost had 50 more points. Frost was indisputably one of the 3-4 best players in the OHL (Kyrou, Suzuki, Robertson), and he was the best player hands down for the Soo. Look at that roster, it's not a who's who of future NHL talent. It's a weird criticism knocking his point production as a product of himself. It's like saying MacKinnon played on the highest scoring NHL team, so his point production this year was easier. Ignoring the essential reason why they were the highest scoring team.

Robert Thomas saw his points/game drop sizably in his D+1 after being traded from a middling London team to Hamilton, the OHL champions. Jason Robertson had virtually identical stats on Kingston in his D and D+1 years. For the Luchanko argument, Kingston was dead last in goals in his draft year (Robertson had 42 goals and 81 points). They scored 64 more goals the next year, went from dead last to above average, and he saw zero jump. And let me tell you, Luchanko doesn't hold a candle to Robertson's talent that we saw on that dead last Kingston team.

Honestly, production is the last thing on my mind with Luchanko. It was totally fine given the circumstances -- even if almost half was on the PP, and I didn't see the second coming of Giroux on the half-wall. But for the umpteenth time it's as simple as this: I don't see plus skill. That is totally independent of context.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
5 Flyers got invited to Team Canada's Summer Showcase

- Barkey
- Bjarnason
- Bonk
- Luchanko
- Sotheran
2024-25 Summer Showcase Roster | National Junior Team

Full roster here, if you're interested. Good to see Sotheran included.
24 forwards and 13 D, so chances are slim they all make the WJC. Likely only Bonk, Barkey and Bjarnason this year. Luchanko is a longshot.

JFC, we drafted Beavis and Butthead....

NJT: Teammates – Oliver Bonk & Easton Cowan

For US: Noah Powell

Finland: Ruohonen will be on the tryout squad: 2024 World Juniors Summer Showcase - July 28 - August 3 - USA Hockey Arena, Plymouth, MI

Sweden: Jack Berglund

Last edited:
Reactions: tymed

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Bjarnason feels like a long shot too, unless Canadian goaltending is in that bad of a state.
He's represented Canada a couple times at U18s, he's a good prospect and well-regarded by the program. I'm sure he has a chance.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
There are 4 goalies invited, and one is a 2025 draft. If they only take 3, there is a good chance hes one of them.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I just don't see him being better than Buium... If Buium reaches his projections then he could have been our #1D man for the next 10+ years. Jett has to be a solid 1C for me not to be upset about this in 5 years.

Obviously the kid is gonna be an NHL professional hockey player but it stings.

IDK with his size and style combo if he's going to be able to be an elite NHL player though with his style. We'll just have to wait and see.

Seems like a better fit for the organization; providing a piece that's in short supply. Flyers have a number of Buiums. Telling that the Flyers weren't the only team to pass on Zev if the pre-draft rankings are to be believed.
Flyers response to NYR's Rempe?

Could be. Though I'd imagine he spends most of his first season with Reading.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: scumpup

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If you already believe the Flyers have a brighter future than the Devils, no opinion is too outlandish. You could count at least 5 Buiums in the organization. 6 if you include Matteo Mann. I wouldn’t, but there’s a good argument.

Just compare prospect lists side by side and it's no contest. Flyers have more high end prospects on the London Knights than the Devils have in their entire group. After Silayev the pickings are pretty slim.

They also have another Buium in Seamus Casey. Adding to their abundance of defemsemen who can't or won't defend.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Seems like a better fit for the organization; providing a piece that's in short supply. Flyers have a number of Buiums. Telling that the Flyers weren't the only team to pass on Zev if the pre-draft rankings are to be believed.

No he fn stinks, Has no fn business playing pro hockey at all. One of those East Coast guys are going to eat him up when he drops the gloves. Trading on your dads name pays dividends. Not even a good junior player.

Reactions: BernieParent

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Buium’s don’t grow on trees lol. The level of skill he possesses is many orders of magnitude more than any current Flyers prospects(& even NHL roster dmen). He’s an excellent prospect and the Wild are lucky to have him. I’ll be flabbergasted if he does not end up as a franchise changing talent.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Buium’s don’t grow on trees lol. The level of skill he possesses is many orders of magnitude more than any current Flyers prospects(& even NHL roster dmen). He’s an excellent prospect and the Wild are lucky to have him. I’ll be flabbergasted if he does not end up as a franchise changing talent.

Or, just as likely, he had the benefit of playing on a loaded college team against inferior opponents. Five teams selected defensemen before the Wild selected Buium.

Maybe he is as talented as you suggest. There is a reason other teams didn't feel the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad