2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just saw that Providence Bruins signed Reading goalie Nolan Meier.

He's only 23 and was 6-2-2 over the past years when called up to Lehigh Valley. Is there something to his game?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Alright saw a little bit of development camp, here's a few notes from what I saw

1. Jett Luchanko has such top end speed, he has great hands too. He is so much fun to watch. I was seriously impressed. Really soft hands, quick, and great stick. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but we might have a player here. He's special.

2. Noah Powell scores goals and finds space in transition really well. Skating doesn't seem to be his strongest area maybe?

3. Spencer Gill - Honestly, doesn't seem to be a great passer. Big presence, can definitely play defense, but I was a little alarmed by some of his puck movement. Not a great showing. I don't see it.

4. Hunter McDonald - i think his skating definitely got better. He's pretty comfortable on the puck.

5. Alex Ciernik - he is such a solid hockey player, I'm gonna follow his development week to week. Very smart player, amazing fundamentals, he makes great decisions on the puck. Really reliable player. Looks a little undersized. Genuinely curious to see what he does this year.

6. JR Avon - Always been a fan since junior, he looks like he put on some muscle since I've seen him last (prob last year). I'm hoping he can be a future 3rd or 4th liner. Best I've seen him. Shot looks good.

7. Heikki Ruohonen - BIG BOY. Super competitive, he looks like a NHL player. I was impressed by how much he won the puck, and advanced play in some of the drills.

8. Oliver Bonk - real deal. Don't wanna get ahead of myself - but he just oozes confidence. He looks like a top 4 dman.

9. Denver Barkey - there's high end skill there. Effortless almost. I like watching him around the net and in transition rushes. He is light on the skates - especially when the puck turns over.

10. So far this week on the ice I saw...Sharp, LeClair, Jason Smith, Kapanen, Nick Schultz, Chris Stewart. Kinda cool.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Alright saw a little bit of development camp, here's a few notes from what I saw

1. Jett Luchanko has such top end speed, he has great hands too. He is so much fun to watch. I was seriously impressed. Really soft hands, quick, and great stick. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but we might have a player here. He's special.

2. Noah Powell scores goals and finds space in transition really well. Skating doesn't seem to be his strongest area maybe?

3. Spencer Gill - Honestly, doesn't seem to be a great passer. Big presence, can definitely play defense, but I was a little alarmed by some of his puck movement. Not a great showing. I don't see it.

4. Hunter McDonald - i think his skating definitely got better. He's pretty comfortable on the puck.

5. Alex Ciernik - he is such a solid hockey player, I'm gonna follow his development week to week. Very smart player, amazing fundamentals, he makes great decisions on the puck. Really reliable player. Looks a little undersized. Genuinely curious to see what he does this year.

6. JR Avon - Always been a fan since junior, he looks like he put on some muscle since I've seen him last (prob last year). I'm hoping he can be a future 3rd or 4th liner. Best I've seen him. Shot looks good.

7. Heikki Ruohonen - BIG BOY. Super competitive, he looks like a NHL player. I was impressed by how much he won the puck, and advanced play in some of the drills.

8. Oliver Bonk - real deal. Don't wanna get ahead of myself - but he just oozes confidence. He looks like a top 4 dman.

9. Denver Barkey - there's high end skill there. Effortless almost. I like watching him around the net and in transition rushes. He is light on the skates - especially when the puck turns over.

10. So far this week on the ice I saw...Sharp, LeClair, Jason Smith, Kapanen, Nick Schultz, Chris Stewart. Kinda cool.
Heard the same thing about Bonk. Off the charts presence, talent, smarts. We’ll see when it’s against men.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Maybe the Flyers get a repeat of the ‘06 draft, Sanguinetti-Giroux with the Luchanko selection. Many were disappointed when Sanguinetti was selected ahead of G but then the Flyers nabbed him. I do believe that this year they wanted Demidov or Dickinson; Luchanko was a back up selection.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
la-noire-doubt-option.jpg

If this was 2006, the Flyers would be the team passing on Giroux.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Maybe the Flyers get a repeat of the ‘06 draft, Sanguinetti-Giroux with the Luchanko selection. Many were disappointed when Sanguinetti was selected ahead of G but then the Flyers nabbed him. I do believe that this year they wanted Demidov or Dickinson; Luchanko was a back up selection.
It sounded like they wanted Jett for awhile this year with the second first, but he popped and rose up the boards

The kid is special, he flashes. Bonk was right - hes a one man break in. Its crazy. Obviously these d pairs he’s going against don’t have chemistry and keep a strong gap, but its noticeable in 1v2, 1v1, 1v3 even…

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
It sounded like they wanted Jett for awhile this year with the second first, but he popped and rose up the boards

The kid is special, he flashes. Bonk was right - hes a one man break in. Its crazy. Obviously these d pairs he’s going against don’t have chemistry and keep a strong gap, but its noticeable in 1v2, 1v1, 1v3 even…
I just don't see him being better than Buium... If Buium reaches his projections then he could have been our #1D man for the next 10+ years. Jett has to be a solid 1C for me not to be upset about this in 5 years.

Obviously the kid is gonna be an NHL professional hockey player but it stings.

IDK with his size and style combo if he's going to be able to be an elite NHL player though with his style. We'll just have to wait and see.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I just don't see him being better than Buium... If Buium reaches his projections then he could have been our #1D man for the next 10+ years. Jett has to be a solid 1C for me not to be upset about this in 5 years.

Obviously the kid is gonna be an NHL professional hockey player but it stings.

IDK with his size and style combo if he's going to be able to be an elite NHL player though with his style. We'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah time will tell - hopefully both guys become great players. Both teams need it

Reactions: scumpup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad