Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I don't think it's illegal or against the rules to 'talk' to the player about an extension before July 1st but I believe you just can't publicly announce that you've reached a deal. Like when we got Landeskog signed before UFA started - that was negotiated technically before July 1st.

I know that players that are on a 1 year deal can negotiate an extension as soon as January 1st of the expiring year of that contract. Players on multi-year contracts have to wait until there is exactly 1 year left on their deals (July 1st) until the officially announce the extension. However, teams would be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't talk to the agent and get a feel for what's happening at least a couple of weeks before the draft, so that they can make decisions on the future of their team.

As far as Matthews goes, the leafs need to get this done - ASAP - because he has a NMC that's kicking in with 1 year left on his deal. So, IF they do not reach an agreement on a long-term contract, Matthews can just play out his last year in Toronto and then 'consider his options' -> AKA sign in Arizona as a UFA and the leafs get NOTHING.

Landeskog's situation was different. He was in the last year of his contract. The Avs maintained exclusive negotiating rights with Landeskog up until the free agent window (which started on July 28, 2021 due to COVID). They could have signed him to an extension as early as October 2020 (or whenever the free agent window started after the bubble playoffs), but the front office and player decided not to and we had another Stastny "will he or won't he" situation.

Since Matthews is on a multi-year deal with slightly more than 1 year left on the deal, the Leafs cannot legally sign up before the NMC is up. I think the sides are technically not even allowed to talk extension before July 1st, but I might wrong and besides I'm sure they cheat on this rule all the time.

So, the Leafs will have to make a decision without a signed contract in hand, only based on the feeling they get from communication with the agent. Calgary chose this path with Gaudreau, based on the vibes they thought it was worth the risk to keep him and they would re-sign him between the end of the season and the free agent window (the same bet we made with Landeskog).

Unless the Leafs made some kind of wild offer like $14 or $15 million/year to Matthews, I don't see any motivation for Matthews to have a wink-wink handshake deal to sign the extension on July 1st. The player holds all the leverage heading into UFA status both in terms of being able to play teams against each other (for more salary, larger percentage signing bonus, whatever) and also choose where to play (tax free state, lower stress market, warmer climate, nearby a River, etc.). Why would Matthews give that up just to make the Leafs' front office's job easier?

The Leafs have overpaid Marner and Tavares in their latest deals, and it's hurt their ability to fill out their roster with depth (if it weren't for the Ontario factor and so many veterans are willing to play for their childhood team for cheap, they would be in even more trouble). They really can't afford to give Matthews an extra $1.5 or $2 million per year over 8 years just to mitigate the risk that he walks for nothing.

Regarding the NMC clause—the Leafs have until July 1 to trade Matthews to any location in the league without his permission. But if negotiations go south in July, the Leafs could still trade Matthews in a blockbuster deal as long as he's willing to waive his NMC.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Landeskog's situation was different. He was in the last year of his contract. The Avs maintained exclusive negotiating rights with Landeskog up until the free agent window (which started on July 28, 2021 due to COVID). They could have signed him to an extension as early as October 2020 (or whenever the free agent window started after the bubble playoffs), but the front office and player decided not to and we had another Stastny "will he or won't he" situation.

Since Matthews is on a multi-year deal with slightly more than 1 year left on the deal, the Leafs cannot legally sign up before the NMC is up. I think the sides are technically not even allowed to talk extension before July 1st, but I might wrong and besides I'm sure they cheat on this rule all the time.

So, the Leafs will have to make a decision without a signed contract in hand, only based on the feeling they get from communication with the agent. Calgary chose this path with Gaudreau, based on the vibes they thought it was worth the risk to keep him and they would re-sign him between the end of the season and the free agent window (the same bet we made with Landeskog).

Unless the Leafs made some kind of wild offer like $14 or $15 million/year to Matthews, I don't see any motivation for Matthews to have a wink-wink handshake deal to sign the extension on July 1st. The player holds all the leverage heading into UFA status both in terms of being able to play teams against each other (for more salary, larger percentage signing bonus, whatever) and also choose where to play (tax free state, lower stress market, warmer climate, nearby a River, etc.). Why would Matthews give that up just to make the Leafs' front office's job easier?

The Leafs have overpaid Marner and Tavares in their latest deals, and it's hurt their ability to fill out their roster with depth (if it weren't for the Ontario factor and so many veterans are willing to play for their childhood team for cheap, they would be in even more trouble). They really can't afford to give Matthews an extra $1.5 or $2 million per year over 8 years just to mitigate the risk that he walks for nothing.

Regarding the NMC clause—the Leafs have until July 1 to trade Matthews to any location in the league without his permission. But if negotiations go south in July, the Leafs could still trade Matthews in a blockbuster deal as long as he's willing to waive his NMC.
You're right. Arghh these early mornings - takes a while for my brain to kick-in.

As for the 2nd part, I think that stuff happens all the time. It's not like the team isn't allowed to talk to the agent of the player that is currently under contract with them. I think I remember one time where the two sides had come to an agreement well before the July 1st date and it was announced in the media. I think it was Joe Thornton a long time ago but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, I'm sure the NHL told them and all the teams to keep that info under wraps until the date comes so it doesn't look like a frikkin' gong-show.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just want guys that contribute something when they aren’t contributing offensively. We had way too many guys that don’t add anything when they aren’t scoring. For some guys it was age, some engagement, some just general lack of ability

This, and injuries

Can't stand guys who just go dark. Erod was better than Bura about that but not by much.

We just don't have the cap to carry a player like that unless it's very cheap. That player will be Drouin this year if he wants to be here and comes cheap enough though.

One is enough though

Drouin seems like he would find his way into Bednar's doghouse in about five seconds and never really claw his way out.

Or sometimes players actually move their feet and show flashes like Z or Greg did, but that's all you get is flashes.

I'd expect much the same from Drouin, but maybe a few more fun nights where he goes off.

Reactions: Reparlana

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You just never know with mental health. It can be like a cork once lifted.

I think Nuke deals with those issues, but learned how hard he needed to work to be the player he wanted.

Drouin may be injured enough he is what he is as a player though. I think it's worth finding out as long as the cost makes sense.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm wondering how much the number of injuries has contributed to the bottom 9 not being productive. They all kind of played against opponents one line above where they should have been.

It certainly might have played a role but only to a certain extent is that an excuse. Wouldn't the Eagles who were injury call ups have that same excuse? If you're going to look at it in this way, it's fair to ask what the bottom 9 did that any of the Eagle players couldn't have done in terms of production?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm wondering how much the number of injuries has contributed to the bottom 9 not being productive. They all kind of played against opponents one line above where they should have been.
That's one way to look at it. Another would be that with a better opportunity and more ice-time most of those players failed to do anything with it at all.

Luckily, a good chunk of that part of the team are UFAs and free to move elsewhere. Only LOC remains and CMac needs to make sure that he's a 4th line player and only a 4th line player. If there's ever a situation where he's playing as the #3RW, you did it wrong, imo.

My hope is that beyond a #2C, the Avs are able to fill the 3rd line with players who can *at least potentially* fill-in on the 2nd line should injuries occur. I think a guy like Engvall is a player who could maybe fit that role. I say that based on how he looked with the Islanders. I think he flashed that maybe he could be a guy who could break-out next year under the right circumstances.

Erik Haula would be a really good #3C but he just put up 41 points this past year so that may be a contract that's too rich for the Avs. If Rodrigues would accept a reasonable deal, I think he's that ideal #3RW guy who's proven he can play in the Top-6 but not that you necessarily want him there full-time under ideal circumstances.

Then with your 4th line, there are a few ways of doing it. My personal favourite is to get 'bangers' on the wings who are willing to take the body and make things hard on opposing d-men. Guys who are strong forecheckers, like to disrupt the opposition and play a heavy game. As the 4C, I'd want a guy who's strong on faceoffs and good defensively. If I have that kind of 4th line, I don't care if they produce much but that type of line is usually able to chip-in a bit in the playoffs due to the nature of how they play. The Avs/Bednar do not share my vision for a 4th line and usually just like guys who can skate and are defensively responsible. I do like Cogs and hope they bring him back for league min to $1M... he's a warrior and sets a great example but I hope we get some strong role players who are available and can stay healthy.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No it's not. The Avs know Schmaltz is a winger much like we all do.
Just like JT Compher?

Avs don't look at the player they want and go get him like the Bolts do.

Avs have X amount of money and X amount of assets they are willing to move. If the best they can do with that is Schmaltz then Schmaltz it will be.

That's how they work.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just like JT Compher?

Avs have X amount of money and X amount of assets they are willing to move. If the best they can do with that is Schmaltz then Schmaltz it will be.

That's how they work.
Schmaltz makes 5.85M in cap. This is not a money thing, he's not exactly cheap. There are other cheaper options, and other more expensive options where retention will be possible.

And J.T. Compher is not even close to Schmaltz. He plays his best hockey at centre, he just happens to be a 3rd line centre. Not his fault he was miscast as a 2nd line centre this season.

The same issue will happen if the Avs go and target Schmaltz. He plays his best hockey as a winger. It'd be like the Avs trading for Nylander and making him play centre.

The Avs aren't stupid. They're not going to acquire a winger to play centre. This isn't Montreal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Wonder if there's a possible trade to be had between us and the Flyers? Not sure what type of Dman they would target but on paper a Girard for Laughton trade would be interesting.

Not sure Laughton is the 2C solution but signed for 3 more years at $3M would be a great contract to add to our middle 6 regardless. If not a 2C solution he's an excellent Compher replacement as a middle 6 utility guy and for $500k cheaper.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
We need a lot more than just a 2nd line centre, that's where this bloke comes in. Barabanov is Lehkonen 2.0 and would destroy opposing teams by the forecheque.
Yep I like him . Would give us 2 players. Barbanov for the 3rd line with potential to play 2nd line.

Get him even without Hertl as I mentioned him 1st

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yes to Drouin on these conditions:
1yr, league min, not penciled in the top 12.
Yep 100% this. Maybe 29 can get him motivated.

We need cheap scoring potential. Give him the Nuke treatment. Make him earn a spot and see if he can find some of his game. If not, oh well he's gone.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
- Girard for Laughton
- Behrens for Barabonov
- Newhook + 1st for PLD after he signs his QO with Winnipeg
- Sign UFAs Parise(775k), Bayreuther(2x$1M), JMFJ(775k), and Drouin(900k)
- Re-Sign RFAs Byram(3x$4.5M) and Meyers(800k)

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
???? - PLD - Nuke
Drouin - Laughton - Barabonov
Parise - Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Bayreuther - Malinski
Johnson - MacDermid

George
Frank

Would leave the Avs with roughly ~$4.5M in space to sign a UFA winger for the 2nd line.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just like JT Compher?

That's how they work.
JTC is very much a C? He’s not a 2C but he can very capably play C.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
- Girard for Laughton
- Behrens for Barabonov

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
???? - PLD - Nuke
Parise - Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Bayreuther - Malinski
Johnson - MacDermid

George
Frank

Would leave the Avs with roughly ~$4.5M in space to sign a UFA winger for the 2nd line.

If the Avs get PLD, then Drouin becomes an ideal add in that he can potentially un sell PLD on the dream of going to Montreal.

Or maybe they wouldn’t even talk to each other...

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
- Girard for Laughton
- Behrens for Barabonov

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
???? - PLD - Nuke
Parise - Meyers - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Bayreuther - Malinski
Johnson - MacDermid

George
Frank

Do you really think that Avs management is going to make three trades and sign four free agents in one offseason?

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Wonder if there's a possible trade to be had between us and the Flyers? Not sure what type of Dman they would target but on paper a Girard for Laughton trade would be interesting.

Not sure Laughton is the 2C solution but signed for 3 more years at $3M would be a great contract to add to our middle 6 regardless. If not a 2C solution he's an excellent Compher replacement as a middle 6 utility guy and for $500k cheaper.

Nah. Laughton has played in a 4th line role in Philly based on most of what I've seen, even this year. I don't think he's a scoring line guy, or even a third liner at this point in his career.

And I'd sooner believe my right kneecap is sentient than the Flyers, no matter who was in charge of them, were interested in Sam Girard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad