NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
John… they may take the captaincy away from you.

But you got to be the Captain of your favourite team for five years. Five years you led your beloved Leafs to annual disappointment and fan dismay until finally being scapegoated for the C on your sweater as the reason your childhood heroes slip and fall in puddles of their own incompetent shit every single postseason. And that’s something they can never… NEVER take away from you.
Pretty rare a team can make the Islanders look like a well run organization.

I have no idea who Matthews is as a person and leader behind the scenes, but it’s obvious that the Leafs were never going to deviate from this plan. Like, on what planet were the Penguins not going to name Crosby as captain? The moneymakers (in terms of fans in seats) are going to get that role regardless of their “evolution as a leader”, as Leaf media has put it.

All I know is they have just as much to prove as when Auston arrived eight years ago and it’s not going to be a pretty legacy if they can’t get over that hump. God forbid they don’t win a couple rounds in one of the next few years.
Well next year they should get the Bruins or Panthers, I know who I would take in those series.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
So Utah, Columbus, San Jose, Detroit, Calgary and Anaheim have more cap space than the Bruins. I could see Swayman signing with Detroit for 8 years at 10M a year, the rest I would not be sure about. Donnie best wake up and get Swayman signed.

Oilers are also 350k over the cap so nice move by St. Louis. Edmonton may have trouble matching the offer sheet.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
This is very hypocritical of me to say because I dont want to see it happen to Sway.

But I actually love offer sheets and wish they were more common.

The drama between the habs and canes a few years back was delicious.
I like ones like this because it gives RFAs some more power in negotiation. Broberg and Hollaway would have little choice but to take min salaries if someone else didn’t come calling. And only because the team that drafted them already blew their wad.

Not sure either is worth what Armstrong is paying… but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Reactions: JCRO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm told there's no way anyone signs Swayman to an offer sheet. What do I do now?
Besides being rfas what is the connection here? What amount of money would a team have to offer for Boston not to match even? Would a team trade 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd for Swayman signed today? Because that's the threshold that Boston doesn't match IMO, and I doubt any team does that trade

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Besides being rfas what is the connection here? What amount of money would a team have to offer for Boston not to match even? Would a team trade 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd for Swayman signed today? Because that's the threshold that Boston doesn't match IMO, and I doubt any team does that trade

Bruins would need to move roster player or players to get under the Cap if they have to match an offer $9 mil or over for Swayman. I think.

Reactions: NDiesel

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like ones like this because it gives RFAs some more power in negotiation. Broberg and Hollaway would have little choice but to take min salaries if someone else didn’t come calling. And only because the team that drafted them already blew their wad.

Not sure either is worth what Armstrong is paying… but I appreciate it nonetheless.

I wish they happened more often in general and weren't seen as some sort of "dirty" move. Offer sheets are part of the CBA and it would good if they were regular occurrences- make teams take care of their players and their rosters a little more closely. IMO its good for competition as well as your point about giving RFAs some leverage. They are, after all, still free agents.

Reactions: JCRO and NDiesel

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Good job by Donny getting Korpi

Why he’s a 2 time GM of year

Sway leaves restocks picks as well

Thank you Donny

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
So Utah, Columbus, San Jose, Detroit, Calgary and Anaheim have more cap space than the Bruins. I could see Swayman signing with Detroit for 8 years at 10M a year, the rest I would not be sure about. Donnie best wake up and get Swayman signed.

Oilers are also 350k over the cap so nice move by St. Louis. Edmonton may have trouble matching the offer sheet.
$10M x 8 seasons is four first rounders compensation territory, though Detroit can't sign him for 8 seasons, only 7. Those two final seasons get added to the first five season's AAV for the purpose of figuring compensation.

For a team that's been as shitty as Detroit the past decade, a move like that would lap Burke's Kessel move.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Can they move Kane to LTIR? Apparently he needs surgery. I think they'll match the Holloway offer.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If you ever understand the actual point of a single post I might drop dead of shock. Considering you don't like me you should really buckle down and focus on doing that.
Yeah ok.

No one has said that any offer sheets are impossible.

Taking two lower level sheets and projecting any of that to Swayman - where a team would need to not only have the cap space but also own all their own picks that are due in compensation - is crazy. In other words, the two sheets today don't affect any analysis of a potential Swayman sheet whatsoever.

It is, however, still technically possible that someone could sheet Swayman.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Thank you Donny
I can't see any team giving up 2 x first rounders, one second and one third for Sway.
If some team was to offer 9.1M a year, that would remove one first rounder from the compensation.
That would be a roll of the dice that might happen.
If it did, we would have around 8M still to spend this year and re stock the farm with picks.
Run with Korpi and Bussi.
It would put us in a nice position to get Draisatl next year.

Reactions: DKH

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Pretty rare a team can make the Islanders look like a well run organization.

Well next year they should get the Bruins or Panthers, I know who I would take in those series.
The Bruins barely beat them last year. I never want to meet Toronto in the playoffs , particularly now . First of all ,to lose to those scumbags would be devastating but it can’t go the Bruins way forever can it ?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I still think Sway is safe from this because anything at the level he's been asking from Boston would get into four first rounders territory and another franchise would have a lot of balls to give that to a goalie who has never played 45 games in a season.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I still think Sway is safe from this because anything at the level he's been asking from Boston would get into four first rounders territory and another franchise would have a lot of balls to give that to a goalie who has never played 45 games in a season.
you would have to instantly make him a top 3 salary on your team AND give up an entire draft essentially.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Is it out there what he's reportedly asking for?

I have decided he's asloing for $8 mil/year and Sweeney offered $6 mil/year. They will meet around $7.25 mil/year. I just made that up, though.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Thank you Donny
If Sweeney can’t sign Swayman after moving Ullmark for an underwhelming package, it’d be labeled the absolute opposite of a good job. He should’ve known what Swayman wanted. If too high, keep & resign Ullmark at 5m per and trade Swayman for a better package than Korpifrigginsalo & a 4th line jag.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is the compensation for Swayman ?

Korpi with Sorcerer Bob, the Bruins defense, and Jay Leach running defense could return to the player who made the all star team and shut out Leafs twice in playoffs

load up on picks and get our prospect pool out of the basement

It’s embarrassing to be looked down by Buffalo and Detroit fans year after year for having a 30-something rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad