NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
To look at either of these clubs, and then look at the Bruins per mental toughness, physical toughness, gamesmanship, intimidation, etc.

Makes me effing laugh.

The Bruins are so far away from competing at this level it isn't funny.

I don't know about you, but here I am, stuck with Don Sweeney again.

Depressing in the extreme.
Maybe I’m crazy but I thought the Bruins could have given the Rangers a good series and didn’t think they were as good as their regular season record .

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Rags having a lot of the same problems as the B's

Florida is one of those teams that just makes other teams look bad. They're relentless. Will be interesting seeing them against whoever comes out from the West. Can't see NYR winning the next two

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Florida is one of those teams that just makes other teams look bad. They're relentless. Will be interesting seeing them against whoever comes out from the West. Can't see NYR winning the next two
Seriously. That’s gotta seem like one hell of a mountain to climb if you’re in the Rangers room right now. Maybe Florida doesn’t ALWAYS have a dynamite shift, but they rarely get dominated for much longer than a minute or so. They just come right back over the boards and take the bull by the horns. Frustratingly steady.

I think they get it done in 6

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I can't either. Florida are fitter than every other team. I guess the final test of that is still to come, but it sure looks that way. The other 31 franchises should be asking how and why that is. The Bruins looked notably gassed at various points of the regular season and more importantly in the playoffs, and simply couldn't sustain the Panthers' level of intensity for anywhere near as long as they can and continue to do. How they can improve in that area is going to be important for next season, because the bar has either been raised or is simply beyond where they've been able to reach in recent years.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Hate them if you want, but Florida is the epitome of a Playoff Hockey Team. Just like Tampa 3 years ago. They just strangle you coming out of your D Zone and in the neutral zone.

They’re really f'ing good, and you gotta respect that. I don't see the Rangers winning this series, and I've felt that way since then end of Game 1. I think this series ends in 6, just like the Bruins.

That said, I still think Dallas wins the Cup.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I can't either. Florida are fitter than every other team. I guess the final test of that is still to come, but it sure looks that way. The other 31 franchises should be asking how and why that is. The Bruins looked notably gassed at various points of the regular season and more importantly in the playoffs, and simply couldn't sustain the Panthers' level of intensity for anywhere near as long as they can and continue to do. How they can improve in that area is going to be important for next season, because the bar has either been raised or is simply beyond where they've been able to reach in recent years.
It’s not fitness. It’s talent and structure. They got their asses kicked by Tampa enough times to figure it out, and they are using the same blueprint. Their best hockey is simply better than New York’s and the only chance the Rangers have is if Igor stands on his head the next 2 games.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GO4JTnPXYAAYFCK.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-31 040130.png

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Unlike the President's Trophy-winning Panthers of a couple of years ago, this current incarnation is built for the playoffs. They are also managing to play on the edge without feeding the Rangers power plays.

I know it's sacrilege to say on this board, but I admire them.

I haven't found the ECF that engaging, since were it not for Shesterkin, they'd have already completed the handshake line. But the WCF has been outstanding. Even Gretzky commented that he's never seen anything like it.

Tanev is questionable for Game Five, and Dallas isn't that deep on defense.

I'm ok with any remaining team winning. I like Dallas since they are geographically the closest team to me and I follow the Stars. I've taken my elderly folks to some Bruins games in Dallas, and Stars' staff treated them like a king and queen.

Dallas not only has perhaps the best game-day presentation, they provide a great fan experience.

I also dig Edmonton - McDavid, Draisaitl, and the new coach is great.

Florida plays old-time hockey and have finally built a fan base.

I'm neutral on NYR, but I know they are good for the league.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s not fitness. It’s talent and structure. They got their asses kicked by Tampa enough times to figure it out, and they are using the same blueprint. Their best hockey is simply better than New York’s and the only chance the Rangers have is if Igor stands on his head the next 2 games.

I think it takes all 3. You need good tactics and the right talent to execute those plans. But you also need the legs, especially if your tactics are based around a high tempo game that wants to forecheck and hassle hard, break up ice quickly and generate a lot of shots on goal. The Panthers have a very marked tendency to wear teams down and take over as games and series progress, and that suggests to me that they're fitter, fresher and more enduring than their opponents.

I don't want to overstate it as a factor - structure and talent have a bigger impact. But I do think it's relevant and making a difference for them to some degree.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I lol'd during the last game in Florida a Ranger player thru the puck over the glass which was a penalty and the crowd didn't even get excited right away like they had no idea they were about to go on the pp.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Hate them if you want, but Florida is the epitome of a Playoff Hockey Team. Just like Tampa 3 years ago. They just strangle you coming out of your D Zone and in the neutral zone.

They’re really f'ing good, and you gotta respect that. I don't see the Rangers winning this series, and I've felt that way since then end of Game 1. I think this series ends in 6, just like the Bruins.

Dallas is just so deep. They have two legitimate PP1s groups

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
With that logic haven’t the B’s core also been through the same “losing ringer” I’d like to see that desire to not lose from some of our guys.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think it takes all 3. You need good tactics and the right talent to execute those plans. But you also need the legs, especially if your tactics are based around a high tempo game that wants to forecheck and hassle hard, break up ice quickly and generate a lot of shots on goal. The Panthers have a very marked tendency to wear teams down and take over as games and series progress, and that suggests to me that they're fitter, fresher and more enduring than their opponents.

I don't want to overstate it as a factor - structure and talent have a bigger impact. But I do think it's relevant and making a difference for them to some degree.

I still question whether Florida's style will work through 4 rounds and win a cup.

Last year, they got to the finals basically using 3 lines. Then they encountered Vegas who gave the bottom part of their forward group significantly more minutes than did Florida and it was a factor (one of many) in the end result. Vegas could keep coming, Panthers ran out of gas.

Now this year Florida has increased the amount of minutes given to the bottom part of the forward group. However, despite the increase it is still less than what Edmonton or Dallas are doing and the reality is the Panthers have gotten this far again on 3 lines. Will it matter in this years cup final (assuming they get there) like it did last year? We will see.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

And I'll keep saying it

We were darn close to the second best team in the East, if not THE second best team. With all our cap space now no question we are. Hoping Don uses it well.

Well that's a shame for Florida, because the next two years gut them cap-wise. They're going to lose a lot of this talent. This is their shot.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
To look at either of these clubs, and then look at the Bruins per mental toughness, physical toughness, gamesmanship, intimidation, etc.

Makes me effing laugh.

Lol, B's took it 6 games, and lost in last 2, come on.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I honestly cant bring myself to hate the Panthers, they're too enjoyable to watch. Im jealous because they're what the Bruins used to be and what I wish they'd be again, skilled but also the toughest MF'er on the block. They play physical as a core component to their game.

They're skilled enough to skate around you but usually chose to just skate through you and grind you into the ice over the course of a game same as the Chara/Lucic/Horton/Boychuk Bruins did. It hurts because the Bruins have turned into the Kovalev/Turtleneck/Markov Canadiens, allergic to contact and Charmin soft

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Rags look discombobulated and frustrated ...much like the Bs did

Hate to say it but the Panthers know how to take the other team out of their game ...it's not pretty and not much fun to watch but it is effective
It’s because you have to hit the shit out of them all game for 7 games and no team has been able to match that intensity or want to risk the penalties.
Vegas did last year.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I honestly cant bring myself to hate the Panthers, they're too enjoyable to watch. Im jealous because they're what the Bruins used to be and what I wish they'd be again, skilled but also the toughest MF'er on the block. They play physical as a core component to their game.

They're skilled enough to skate around you but usually chose to just skate through you and grind you into the ice over the course of a game same as the Chara/Lucic/Horton/Boychuk Bruins did. It hurts because the Bruins have turned into the Kovalev/Turtleneck/Markov Canadiens, allergic to contact and Charmin soft
FLA is built more around agitating and constant pressure than that bullying swagger of the Chara/Lucic days.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Funny, Paul Maurice comments after the series was over certainly don't indicate that.

Up here in Canada, I have never heard a single analyst call the Bruins soft once.

I don't listen to the local talk radio down in Boston. But seems like this narrative the Bruins are pillow soft seems to exist there and on HF Boards only.

Weren't the Bruins and Panthers like No.1 and No.2 in hits given through the first two rounds?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Kudos to Zito, best GM in NHL. Highly drafted talent playing like it.

Ekblad
Barkov
Reinhart
Tkachuk
Bennett
OEL
Lundell

Then guys like Verhaege and Montour playing big. Even Kulikov and Mikkola look solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Makes me effing laugh.

Rangers may very well be out in 6 in a couple of days. The same as the Bruins against Florida.

And the Rangers are only that close for the same reason Boston was, goaltending.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad